Betta Problems...help Appreciated

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Leann, Apr 20, 2017.

1. LeannValued MemberMember

I have two female Bettas both experiencing different issues. The first seems to have a bulge on her side, and other seems to have feathery looking scales. They're not the best quality pictures, just what I could get posted right away.

Miss bulge seems happy and fine eating well swimming around with the others

Funny looking scales is lethargic and really not doing well I'm concerned for her

Thanks for reading

be98e45ef9fd8cced21813b849d9e647.jpgb07b1ba53881ed59c7efaef6e46c3928.jpge8438f4e4d8c07a397d9a45af33c002d.jpg

2. coryellNew MemberMember

I don't know what that bulge could be but I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

The second looks like she has dropsy - dropsy is a symptom, rather than an illness itself, and usually indicates organ failure. I'm not sure what you can do for her at this point but I would start by quarantining both fish immediately for the health of their tankmates.

Also, what are your water parameters/details about your tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  3. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Bloating/bulging can be from several things, from swim bladder issues to constipation. Try fasting for a few days then feeding a bit of blanched, shelled pea.

The second looks like dropsy, which is usually fatal. As previously mentioned, I would quarantine both fish.

Here is the info we need to adequately help you:

Size of tank

Age of tank (how long has the tank been running)

Cycled (yes, no, or not sure)

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? (yes or no)

Temperature of tank

Heater (yes or no)

Ammonia, in parts per million (ppm)

Nitrites, in ppm

Nitrates, in ppm

Any medications you are using (including aquarium salt)

4. LeannValued MemberMember

Tank: 10 gallons
    Cycled: for maybe week but I used a filter from a different tank (my 20 gallon I replaced this with) and also took water from my 56 that's set up
    Nitrogen cycle: yes constantly worrying about those pesky things
    Temp: 72-75, yes I have a 50w heater
    Nitrites: 0 to maybe 0.5 the colors are very close on my test strip
    Nitrates: 0
    Meds: no meds thus far but I am using flourish excel, potassium and natural gold iron all for my plants which are doing horribly anyway (for another feed!)

Also did a healthy water change last night, I have an air stone and it's a sand bottom. I don't know that it's over feeding, I mean it could be but my gals are so friendly I basically hand feed them, one maybe two times a day.

Don't know if that's helpful but thank you for your responses already it's all I could get on before bed!

5. LeannValued MemberMember

Should I be worried about the rest of my fish? I just don't know if I should be treating my tank with anything

6. LeannValued MemberMember

Well my one girl with dropsy passed today...still watching my other