betta problem

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He has a condition called finrot.  I need some information if you have it.  First of all, how long have you had your tank ?  Is it filtered and heated?  Do you test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates and if so what are the test readings?  What temperature do you keep your tank at?  How often do you clean the tank and about how much of the water do you change each time?

Before you answer any of these questions though it is important to get the little one some medication and help.  He needs to go into a really clean environment or you need to provide some  really clean water in the tank and if possible raise the temperature in the tank to about 82 degrees F or 28 degrees C.  (about 1 degree every 2 hours raised not all at once)  Then you need to get a medication called Melafix and some vitamins like Vita-Chem to help with fin regeneration.  Be sure to get the freshwater form of the vitamins when you look for some as some are offerred in both freshwater and saltwater forms.  Remove all the carbon from the filter in your tank so the medication is not just filtered back out and follow the instructions on the medication (Shake well and add one measuring teaspoon or 5 cc of med for each 10 gallons of aquarium size)  Do this every day for 7 days and then do a 25% water change and repeat the treatment again for another 7 days.  Then see how the fins are doing, by then if you have used the meds for all that time and the vitamins daily (they will be good for your other fish too.  I give mine vitamins every day and it helps their immunity systems.) you should see some regeneration forming and you can decide whether to remove the medication completely or continue treatment.  You will continue the vitamins but the Melafix is sometimes discontinued although I know a lot of people continue it until all the fins are grown back.  (doing a 25% water change every 7 days)  The carbon has to remain out of the filter the whole time during the treatment or it removes the medication from the tank immediately.  The medication works the best at about 82 degrees F or 28 degrees C so the temperature should also remain up. 

One thing you may want to read is the following for a general idea on Betta Care;

and if you have not had your tank long or if it is not heater or filtered you need to read the following to benefit all of your fish:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

I welcome you to our forum.  It is a friendly and happy place full of people who truly love their fish and full of information on how to care for them and their tanks.  You will find many beautiful pictures of the fish and the tanks of our members and are welcome to add any you may care to share of your own.  We do love pictures!!  This is one of my very favorite sites and I have met many wonderful people here.  Some of my closest friendships have been formed on this forum, and these are some of the finest people I have met on or offline.  It has always been my pleasure to be here.  I do hope your experiences here will be as great as mine have been and continue to be.  Welcome and I hope I have been able to help.  I am sure that others will respond and welcome you as well.  If you haven't yet, why not drop into our General Discussion Board and introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself, your tank, or anything else you care to add.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whoops, I just noticed the signature of your list of fish and should tell you to remove the Betta from your tank at once. The Red-taliled Shark and all the Gouramis will brutalize him. He is of the Gourami family and they do not mix. You may get by with having all the Gouramis together but to introduce a Betta into the mix, it will not work. I am afraid the Betta will be nipped to death and that may be what is happening to his fins. The Betta may be getting along with the other fish but they may be getting aggressive towards him. I would be very surprised to have him survive long in this tank.

I am so sorry to have to give you this news. Is there any way you could get him a smaller tank like about 20 liters or so of his own? This would be the best of all possible situations.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome, mick d!

You will find some VERY helpful people on this site. I spent quite some time looking for a site with good quality information and once I found this one, I stopped looking. I have never needed any other advice! Mind you, it's not always the advice you want to hear, but if it will allow your fish a better quality of life, it's worth it!

Everyone here is genuine and really cares about their fish! I'm glad you've decided to be part of the group!

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He deffinetly needs a new home. if you want a cheap one quickly I suggets craigslist.com for a 10gal. I see a million fishtanks on that site

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom