Betta Possibly Has Velvet? Help! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by icyybunny, Jan 25, 2019.

1. icyybunny

icyybunnyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    hi, my boyfriends betta has been acting kinda weird for the last couple days. there’s been no changes in appetite or activity really but he’s been seeming to rub against the glass quite a bit (which i know is common with parasitic fish diseases) and this morning we noticed one of his front long fins is torn almost in half which we figured is due to him rubbing himself in the plants and such :/ so anyways we shined a flash light on him and noticed his whole tail fin seems yellow glittery and we don’t think that’s normal for him. i’ve attached pictures if you could take a look and tell me if it looks like velvet to you?? thanks in advance!

he’s in a 5 gallon glass tank, no live plants but soft fake ones. it stays about 79°F, it’s filtered and the water parameters are all 0, ph is good.
    IMG_0623.JPGIMG_0626.JPGIMG_0625.JPG

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,134
    Experience:
    4 years
    Not velvet as it would also be on his other fins too. His behavior also doesn't match the symptoms of velvet. Him rubbing up against the glass sounds like he's glass surfing. It's when they see their reflection in the glass and chase after it.

3. Madison1017

Madison1017Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +27
    Experience:
    Just started
    If your parameters are all at 0 then your tank is not cycled as you should have some nitrates. Are you sure there is no ammonia present? Glass surfing can be due to stress caused by ammonia in the tank. The gold glittery fins just look like his coloration to me - he's an absolutely gorgeous betta!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    icyybunny

icyybunnyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    thank you so much for your guy’s replies! we were seriously freaking out i think he’s just never shined a flashlight on the little guy before so he never noticed that coloring. my floosh at home has the same texture on his tail but it’s not gold so i just wanted to be safe the rubbing against the glass he was doing wasn’t exactly glass surfing, he doesn’t tend to do that much at all but he hasn’t been doing it today any longer. also the last time i made my boyfriend check the water parameters they were all good there was i think a TINY amount of ammonia but were working on that. i just couldn’t remember exactly what they were as it was probably a week and a half ago lol but his tank is definitely cycled. thank you again though!