Betta; Possible Fin Rot, Tail Biting Or Other?

Kieren Munson-Burke

Hi! I'm having an issue with my betta fish. I got him about six months ago, though he was probably around a year old when I got him. He's in a heated and filtered 10 gallon tank on his own, though I am hoping to add some ghost shrimp and a nerite snail soon, I currently have them in quartine. The tank has drift wood and artificial silk plants. About two weeks ago I noticed tears on his fins. We moved to a new apartment about 1.5 months ago and that is when he was upgraded to a 10 gallon, prior to that he was in a 2.5 gallon. I took out fixtures that could in anyway be causing this. However, he still has tears on his fins and is floating around more and swimming less. He has not change in appetite and is perfectly alert and active when I go up to the tank. However, it doesn't seem like fin rot because I haven't noticed any white, black or red along the tears and I also change the water 30% weekly and it's filtered with an aqueon quiet flow 10 filter, so I've not had any issues with water condition. I've added a few photos where I think you can see it, he's pretty still but he gets excited when I go to take a photo since I've taught him tricks so I think he associates me with food. It's mostly just the back fin (caudal, I think?). Any advice would be great! I'll answer any questions that may be able to help figure out what it is. Thank you!!

Attachments

• WIN_20180304_16_18_50_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180304_16_18_50_Pro.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 89
  • WIN_20180304_16_18_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180304_16_18_36_Pro.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 66
  • WIN_20180304_16_19_06_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180304_16_19_06_Pro.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 99

r5n8xaw00

It is hard for me to tell, but there are more expert people here than I am, so someone will come along that can help you. He is a beautiful Betta, and the only thing I might be able to offer as to what's going on, is that he maybe stressed, and chewing on his own fins. Why that is I don't have a clue, so sorry I can't be much help.

Clint "My Betta" and I have finally come to an agreement, I will keep feeding him bloodworms, and he has agreed to stop picking on the Corys.

Clint - Bloodworms - r2.jpg

Violetskies

Did you check that log hiding thing? They can sometimes be sharp on the inside edges.

Other than that I'd say it's probably stress causing him to bite his own fins, but it can also be genetic, and there's nothing you can do about that. A few of the bettas I've owned shredded their fins, no matter what I did. The best thing to do in that case is just to keep up the water changes, add some API Stress coat, and keep the lights off as much as possible, when you're not there to see how pretty he is

Kristin Gray

Growing up we had several Betta’s who NEVER had issues with their fins, and since getting my own house I now have two Betta’s who are both fun biters. They’re in two separate 3.5 gallon tanks. I panicked when my first one started doing it, I’d never heard of it before. I used some Betafix (I know some frown upon this) and then changed out one gallon of water every other day until the fins were completely healed. I’m still in the healing process with my second Betta.

Myra Solis

Growing up we had several Betta’s who NEVER had issues with their fins, and since getting my own house I now have two Betta’s who are both fun biters. They’re in two separate 3.5 gallon tanks. I panicked when my first one started doing it, I’d never heard of it before. I used some Betafix (I know some frown upon this) and then changed out one gallon of water every other day until the fins were completely healed. I’m still in the healing process with my second Betta.
How often did you use Betafix? I think my betta may be tailing biting. Initially I thought it was fin rot because there were red spots around his dorsal fin, though the same day I noticed a large chunk of his dorsal fin completely gone.

Kristin Gray

How often did you use Betafix? I think my betta may be tailing biting. Initially I thought it was fin rot because there were red spots around his dorsal fin, though the same day I noticed a large chunk of his dorsal fin completely gone.
Sorry I just saw this post. I went by the instructions on the bottle, which I believe were to treat once daily for up to 7 days (I’d have to read the directions again to verify for certain).

The red spots are concerning. We’re they on his body, or the fin itself? I’ve read that sometimes with fin rot the fin can appear red or bloody (although mine never have). But if he’s a fin biter you will notice large chunks like that gone. I’ve noticed with my two that they typically target their tail fin. My second boy is slowly going blind, and I’ve noticed if he has a bad day seeing or if he has a very sudden change in his vision he will rip his fins to shreds. I assume this is stress from not being able to see. In the last two days he has hurt his fins worse than ever. It makes me sad

Could you provide pictures of your fish as well as water parameters?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cody000125
Replies
Views
Kadi
Replies
Views
Falena
Replies
Views