Betta Possible Fin Rot?? Please Help!! Help 

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my betta is overall very healthy. His fins are always up and he always greets me when I walk in the room. He eats readily, but likes to take his time. Tank water is never unhealthy and I do regular water changes. This tank can’t have a filter, which is why I am making a 20 gallon for him. I have a “live rock” or “eco rock” in there that deals with the ammonia and nitrites. He is very happy and I am worried that he possibly has fin rot. I have a plant (I don’t know the species) and a Marimo moss ball in there. I set this tank up when I knew very little about this hobby. I still knew about the cycle which is why I got the rock thing.

I have a before and after picture.
B03CEC66-EE79-469E-9949-43816A1F87EF.jpeg
This picture (below), I outlined the possible fin rot. (Pardon the diatoms, I’ve tried so much to rid them)
482FE1F7-51F8-460D-A684-C35CA6A5D725.jpeg
This is a before picture (below). As you can see, those two divits got worse. I don’t know if it is fin rot, but it all happened very suddenly. He doesn’t seem like he is in any pain, and doesn’t seem like he notices a difference. Please help! I would be so sad to lose him...
31072878-4740-45BF-BD09-29867DD66F63.jpeg

CommonCurt

Reaction score
My daughter's Betta had something similar happen a while back, and I wondered the same thing.

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CommonCurt said:
My daughter's Betta had something similar happen a while back, and I wondered the same thing.
Ok hopefully it’s ok

CommonCurt

Reaction score
Finatic005 said:
Ok hopefully it’s ok
Yeah, our's fins started looking better about 2 weeks after I first noticed it.
Never been for sure if it was actually finrot though.

I'll be interested to see what people say about your fish's fins.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would say that it is the start of fin rot. its pretty minor so should be a easy fix.

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
I would say that it is the start of fin rot. its pretty minor so should be a easy fix.
Ok thanks . I already did a 75% water change and started using aquarium salt.

I also took plants out and put them in a small container. Will the finrot bacteria die off so I can transfer those plants to another aquarium?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Ok thanks . I already did a 75% water change and started using aquarium salt.

I also took plants out and put them in a small container. Will the finrot bacteria die off so I can transfer those plants to another aquarium?
Fin rot can be caused by bacteria or fungi that are always in the tank. They don't die off. What causes an infection with these microbes is usually poor water conditions and stress. I'm glad you're moving him to a filtered tank. I'd advise moving everything, including the gravel, decorations etc into the new filled tank etc. Read up on the nitrogen cycle
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm, get a good liquid test kit (I use and recommend the API Master Test Kit), quit using salt in the tank (I never recommend salt as an additive to tanks for strictly freshwater fish) It's fine and may be effective as a treatment bath for some diseases but there's no sound evidence that it helps with fin rot, and there is evidence that long term addition of salt to a freshwater tank can cause problems. That eco rock doesn't actually "deal with" ammonia and nitrites. The term "live rock" is misleading. It's very porous calcium carbonate rock, completely inert, and simply provides surface area that nitrifying bacteria can attach to. That bacteria can then "deal with" ammonia and nitrites. You have to provide the tank conditions for that bacteria to grow over several weeks (4 to 8 weeks).

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Momgoose56 said:
Fin rot can be caused by bacteria or fungi that are always in the tank. They don't die off. What causes an infection with these microbes is usually poor water conditions and stress. I'm glad you're moving him to a filtered tank. I'd advise moving everything, including the gravel, decorations etc into the new filled tank etc. Read up on the nitrogen cycle
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm, get a good liquid test kit (I use and recommend the API Master Test Kit), quit using salt in the tank (I never recommend salt as an additive to tanks for strictly freshwater fish) It's fine and may be effective as a treatment bath for some diseases but there's no sound evidence that it helps with fin rot, and there is evidence that long term addition of salt to a freshwater tank can cause problems. That eco rock doesn't actually "deal with" ammonia and nitrites. The term "live rock" is misleading. It's very porous calcium carbonate rock, completely inert, and simply provides surface area that nitrifying bacteria can attach to. That bacteria can then "deal with" ammonia and nitrites. You have to provide the tank conditions for that bacteria to grow over several weeks (4 to 8 weeks).
Ya I am, by no means, an expert, but I’m definitely not a beginner. I still have much to learn but I understand the cycle completely and I know that the rock doesn’t actually deal with the toxins. I am in the process of cycling the tank, on week two, and ammonia is kinda weird because I keep adding ammonium hydroxide to get to 2 ppm and after that it lowers to 0.5 and it gets “stuck” there... So, are you saying that fin-rot bacteria is always there, just certain conditions cause it to be negative? Or is it due to the fact that my siphon broke so I couldn’t gravel vac for abt 2-3 weeks (ya I know that’s bad and I felt bad too)? And if that bacteria will eventually “go away”, could I add the decor and stuff from my old tank to my larger tank without transferring the fin rot bacteria?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom