Betta - Possible Fin Rot and Water Odor/Algae issue

Dsb6251

Reaction score
Betta - Over the past few weeks I have noticed a few issues with my tank and have had to remove my fish after losing 4 shrimp in the the tank and his behavior not being normal. Currently the fish is in a 3g quarantine tank getting Furan-2 so I think he will be okay but I have noticed what looks like fin rot but the fin is not dark - chunks have appeared to fall off. I am going to do a anti-fungal treatment when it arrives this week as well. If anyone thinks there is an issue with Furan-2 and Fungus Cure by API being used together let me know. He eats fine just is much less active than I am used to - I will give him a few days and see what happens.

Water Odor/Alage - In addition to losing the shrimp - I had begun to notice a bad odor and orange biofilm forming on the water surface. I do not have a surface skimmer but that is on the way - what is odd to me is how thick the film was and how orange it was - it would change a paper towel to orange. It would also stick on the inflow and outflow tubing.

Today I went and did a full 100% water change/filter cleaning - removed what I think were the culprit dead plants - I planted too densly and did not keep up with trimming like I should have which meant the plants not getting access to the light seemed to die. After the full water change and removal of all suspect plants - which smelled terrible by the way I still have this odor in the water - I cannot aggressively suction my gravel so the water went down to the gravel line leaving some saturated water in the substrate. Could this water I cant remove be the culprit of the smell? How can I remove?

Setup
UNS - 45S - 5gallon
Oase Filtosmart 60
Std Mech Filter Mesh / Seachem Matrix / Seachem Purigen
Organic filtered soil base substrate / Amazonia 2.0 capped by lava rock gravel.
Mini Dwarf Hair Grass / Pygmy Chain Sword (Removed all other plants)
LED - Light - on for 12hrs a day

I use Seachem Prime / Stability during water changes - my tank was previously cycled

Water Params are - 0 ammonia / 0 nitrite / 5ppm nitrate / pH - 7.7 / Temp - 80 F

I am not home right now but will post pictures of tank and fish in awhile bit.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The 100% water+ filter change will get rid of a lot of your beneficial bacteria, you will probably be doing a fish in cycle with your betta. You can also buy live bacteria to get the levels back up.
I woul imagine the gravel is the source of the smell. Dead plants could have made their way to the bottom of your tank where they continued to rot.

OP
D

Dsb6251

Reaction score
Ghelfaire said:
The 100% water+ filter change will get rid of a lot of your beneficial bacteria, you will probably be doing a fish in cycle with your betta. You can also buy live bacteria to get the levels back up.
I woul imagine the gravel is the source of the smell. Dead plants could have made their way to the bottom of your tank where they continued to rot.
It shouldn't cause my tank to uncycle - I have done this a few times before with a previous planting in the same tank the filter/substrate seemed to house all the bacteria needed. I have some Fritz Live Nitrifying Bacteria that I will reuse before I put my Betta back in - for now he needs to get treated for his fin issue.

I have since heavily removed and vacuumed the tank. Am I stuck with this smell now forever?

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was just saying that you may have done too large of a clean all at once.
Are you running activated carbon in your filter? If not it may help clear the smell out after a while. Regular water changes will also help.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
I also had on odor issue when treating sick fish. Maybe its from the medication, I was also using kanaplex. Also beware, API fungus cure turns the tank green. Its not harmful I just thought I would warn you so you wont be as shocked as I was.
IMG_3441.JPG

OP
D

Dsb6251

Reaction score
I am not using any activated carbon as I was putting Indian Almond leaves in the tank - I will replace my purigen with the carbon for now and see if that helps - I dont have any clarity issues currently - I will just do daily 25% water changes and see if the smell abates.

Yea the Furan-2 makes the tank yellow and I have a small 3g quarantine tank that has some plastic deco that is now stained yellow. Thanks for the head sup on the green - guess I will be changing the color soon.

OP
D

Dsb6251

Reaction score
So the more I have been reading - it seems I did not do a good enough job with dead plant removal and bacteria has built up in the substrate. Rather than clean the entire tank out and redo it completely anyone have any thoughts around dumping a few doses of Furan 2 in there and killing the bacterial over a week or so instead spending money and time redoing.

Will frequent water changes after I have properly now cleaned the tank/filter and vacuumed the gravel do the trick to rebalance or am i SOL?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Dsb6251 said:
So the more I have been reading - it seems I did not do a good enough job with dead plant removal and bacteria has built up in the substrate. Rather than clean the entire tank out and redo it completely anyone have any thoughts around dumping a few doses of Furan 2 in there and killing the bacterial over a week or so instead spending money and time redoing.

Will frequent water changes after I have properly now cleaned the tank/filter and vacuumed the gravel do the trick to rebalance or am i SOL?
I don’t think Furan-2 is the way to go. It’s an antibiotic but it’s active ingredients treat bacterial infections in fish, not general bacteria in the water. I also would caution against using any meds in a tank where you arnt treating sick fish. If I were you I would just vacuums the substrate and stay on top of water changes.

OP
D

Dsb6251

Reaction score
I will give that a shot for now - I didn't think it would be effective just figured I would ask. I am just hoping to save it since I have invested a significant amount of time into this build. I will keep my quarantine tank as meds only for my betta.

Glad I canceled my order of shrimp they probably would not survive the tank I am trying to rebalance.

Appreciate your input!

Betta02

Reaction score
I just went through the same thing with my 13 gallon Betta tank, but I had green algae. The tank smelled like sewer water. I'd tried everything to get rid of it. My poor Betta has chunks missing out of his fins as well. I didn't have live plants, but I ended up removing everything from the tank, tossed all the driftwood and plants. Changed out my sponge filter and switched from sand substrate to gravel. I'm now doing basically a fish-in cycle, which I hate, but now a week later, fish looks better and tank is crystal clear. I was doing regular tank maintenance, water changes, etc. Not sure what happened, because my other tanks are fine.

OP
D

Dsb6251

Reaction score
It isn’t super pungent yet I have to get close to smell it but I know it’s gonna get worse. I wonder if I just put chlorinated water in if that would do the trick. I know it won’t kill my plants and I may have to recycle my tank but I would rather do that then spend the 200-300 and replacing all my substrate and plants.

Betta02

Reaction score
Dsb6251 said:
It isn’t super pungent yet I have to get close to smell it but I know it’s gonna get worse. I wonder if I just put chlorinated water in if that would do the trick. I know it won’t kill my plants and I may have to recycle my tank but I would rather do that then spend the 200-300 and replacing all my substrate and plants.
I get you there. I don't know anything about live plants, and I probably threw out $20 - $30 of stuff, which I hated to do. I would imagine if I was looking at that much money I would try something else. I hope you get it figured out, it can be very frustrating!

New Threads