Betta Popeye And Possibly Swim Bladder Issues

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I bought Kevin, the betta, from a local pet shop and it turned out one of his eyes is buldging and looks like a case of popeye. What’s the most effective treatment? Some places state 100% water changes must be carried out every other day and it

I gave him some betta pellets last night and he ate about 4, I removed the rest, but today he seemed to be tilting ever so slightly to the sides. It got better the more he swam around but it’s not gone completely and I’m debating fasting him at least tonight and feeding him a pea tomorrow.

He’s currently in a 14 gallon quarantine tank (which hasn’t gone through a proper cycle, I’ve fitted the filter with media from the main established tank and I’m monitoring water parameters daily) with 3 Kuhli loaches and here lies another question. Do I:
a) move Kevin to a 2.5 gallon for individual treatment
b) treat him in the 14 gallon with the loaches
c) move the loaches to the 2.5 gallon temporarily

The loaches are there until they grow a bit more to go into my main tank.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey. Could you post a pic for us? It will help a lot. Poor Betta. We want to help.

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Apologies for the bad quality of these, the tank light is coming in on Thursday and camera couldn’t focus. But you can see his left eye is swollen and a lot bigger than the other. It’s also the same colour as his body - red.

I fasted him yesterday evening just in case but he seems alright today, if not a little on the weak side, occasionally taking a ride with the current
FD1C4DB0-4519-4A5F-8FAB-AC66C1173285.jpeg
A4B1AB3D-26F6-456E-ABD2-158778F835BE.jpeg
9758B2AB-A1E0-45CD-8500-3AA6D00E208D.jpeg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for taking pics. @TexasDomer @mattgirl can y’all look at this Betta? Please and thank you.
Keep the water clean. Once some eyes are on this hopefully we can tell what’s going on. Do you have kanaplex on hand just in case?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully someone will be able to help. Fortunately I've never had to deal with fish illnesses so I defer to those that know a lot more than I do although I do know that pristine water can both prevent and sometime heal a lot of problems.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasDomer said:
I'd move him to the 2.5 gal and do daily 50% water changes. If it doesn't start getting better in a few days, I might treat with an antibiotic.
Thank you! Sam if you could do this please and keep us posted? Wishing you and your Betta the best.

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you for the help guys! I’ll move him as soon as I get home from work and post an update here in a few days or so if there’s any improvement

Edit: Looking at what Kanaplex is, I’m sure there’s something along those lines I can use that’s a bit more available to me, i’ll be having a look for an antibiotic if I don’t see improvement in a week or so

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
17/05/18 Update: The new light arrived!
I have moved Kevin into the 2.5 gallon but because I realised I didn’t have a spare heater small enough, I had to move the small tank into the big one. There is still a fair amount of swimming space for the young loaches and Kevin is kept warm but separate.

I’ve dosed him with API’s Melafix as this is the only thing the lps had for popeye treatment. I’ll continue to do 50% water changes in the small tank every day and treat with Melafix for the next week as the label says. Hopefully his eye improves

38EF7220-D893-451E-9746-171B21891D55.jpeg
B19778F5-D5DF-48C6-BFD8-AA6A941D295B.jpeg
F37A6F8A-4316-4396-BD47-D4FDBD557A37.jpeg

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Melafix is pretty useless so I wouldn't bother it again, but hopefully the daily water changes will help! You may need to order an antibiotic online.

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Would adding some aquarium salt promote the healing process or does it not make a difference/can harm the fish? That’s also something the lps recommended

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, I would not add any aquarium salt. If you're going to add any salt, you'd want something like marine salt or kosher salt (much cheaper than aquarium salt), but I don't think it's necessary here (and it can hurt your plants). Remember the LFS is trying to sell you things. If you want to try an Epsom salt dip/bath (so you're not adding it to the tank) to help reduce the swelling, you could try that? But that's not normally a treatment for popeye, as far as I'm aware, and it may not help anything.

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update 20/05/18
50% water changes carrying on as before. I’ve been using King British’s disease clear instead of melafix for the past 2 days. The active ingredient in that is silver proteinate.

Kevin’s eye doesn’t seem to be getting any better, but overall he looks pretty happy. I’m suspecting that he might be a little blind on at least one eye because it takes him a while to aim and catch the floating betta pellets, so I end up keeping them in place with my finger to make it that little bit easier for him. It still took him a good minute or two to catch the first pellet this evening, like his coordination isn’t fully intact.

The course of this medicine is one dose every 3-4 days and I’ve been replacing the volume lost after each water change. Should I give it up to a week to see if it helps or should I start looking for another antibiotic to try? If so, do you have any suggestions for ones that will work?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think that medicine is an actual antibiotic, so if it's not better in a week or so, I'd get a read antibiotic. What ones do you have available to you?

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don’t have access to maracyn if any kind as I am in the uk. I can get any interpet or waterlife branded medicine/antibiotic.

I’ve been trying to research stuff containing tetracycline and maracyn but I don’t seem to come up with any results whatsoever, in the uk anyway.

Waterlife’s myxazin contains Malachite Green and Acriflavine Hydrochloride as active ingredients and is marketed for popeye.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sam2671 said:
I don’t have access to maracyn if any kind as I am in the uk. I can get any interpet or waterlife branded medicine/antibiotic.

I’ve been trying to research stuff containing tetracycline and maracyn but I don’t seem to come up with any results whatsoever, in the uk anyway.

Waterlife’s myxazin contains Malachite Green and Acriflavine Hydrochloride as active ingredients and is marketed for popeye.
You really are limited aren’t you? I searched for it. Wow. Can you get it from a vet?

Sam2671

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don’t know of any vets that would prescribe and order in fish medicine and I’m suspecting that it would be very expensive to do so too.

Myxazin is available online so I can order it myself, if it’s that you were asking about

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sam2671 said:
I don’t know of any vets that would prescribe and order in fish medicine and I’m suspecting that it would be very expensive to do so too.

Myxazin is available online so I can order it myself, if it’s that you were asking about
I was hoping for something in the antibiotic line. But you have to go with what you can find. I’m asking my UK friends on twitter where they got theirs. The only thing I’m unsure of with Myxazin is that it’s for use with cold water fish. Bettas like warm water. But it’s your call. I wish more things were available to you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom