Betta poop

1. ashleighh28

ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

I've had my betta 3 days now I've seen him eat hardly any food and I've not seen him poop yet is this normal? Or am I just panicking?

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

It can take a little while for them to get comfortable. He may still be stressed and getting comfortable. Don't panick! I don't think I'd worry too much right now. It takes about a week or two with no food for a Betta to start starving, so as long as he's getting a little food he should be fine.

Does he have any other weird behavior? Sluggish? Bloated? Or is he just not eating much?

3. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

No his very active.. And not eatting much nothing else. I've been doing daily water changes as my tank isn't cycled could that be making him stressed?

4. codyrex97

Definitely could be. It's good to know he is active. Does he rest when the lights are off?

And what are you feeding him?

5. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

He's not fussed if the lights are on or off if he fancies a rest he will just hide for a little while.. And just tropical flakes as advised by the pet shop.

6. codyrex97

He may not care for that food. Betta can be picky eaters. Mine totally refuses flake food. I've heard good things about Hikari Bio-Gold Betta pellets and omega one Betta food, and I myself use New Life Spectrum pellets, the one with Betta on the container. You wanna check the ingredients on your fish food. If the main ingredient is fish meal then it's not the best quality. Good ones will have something like "Whole Krill" or "Whole Fish" good meaty substances for your fish.

You can feed with these and also pick up bloodworms (I use freeze dried, Hikari Bloodworms. They like frozen bloodworms even better.) to feed as a treat. Think of the freeze dried bloodworms as like potato chips. Not very fulfilling to your diet, so not something you should eat all the time, but a little now and then is okay and enjoyable.

7. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

I fed my platys bloodworms and they all died with a day after that I'm abit scared of using bloodworms! But thanks for the recommendations on pellets I was thinking about getting him them!

8. codyrex97

I would recommend Omega One Freshwater Flakes for flake food (although I think that's more appropriate for communities where fish can fight for their share...I like being in control of exactly how much my solo Betta eats, and I feed him one pellet at a time.) and New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets for pellet food.

The ingredients in both are very good. Omega One's main ingredients include "Whole Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Whole Herring , Whole Shrimp, Whole Krill" and New Life Spectrum's main ingredients include "Whole Antartic Krill, Whole Fish, Whole Wheat Flour, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Algae, Beta Carotene, Kelp, Spirulina, Garlic, Omega-3 Fish Oil"

I find the Garlic to be a nice addition, as fish seem to like garlic quite a bit, so this will make it easier to get him to eat fish food.

Don't worry if the first few pellets just sink to the bottom. You can vac them out. My little guy didn't eat like the first 4 pellets because he didn't realize they were food. Once he finally nipped one and ate it, he quickly gained a liking to them.

Here's the exact one I use. I would say be sure to get this 1mm sized food because anything larger may be a little big for the Betta.
    [​IMG]

9. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

I don't have a gravel vac I just use a cup and buckets will have to get one though! Any you would recommend?

10. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

My betta didn't eat for 4-5 days when we got him. I feed the Tetra Betta Plus. He's quite active

11. codyrex97

You can get a generic gravel vac at petco or even Walmart carries them. You just stick the large end into the water and then suck air though the small end until the water starts to flow. Be sure to have the water bucket BELOW the tank, that way the gravity can do the work.

12. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

Thanks I'm on my way to purchase one now. Great advice!