Betta Poop Analysis

1. TiqToq

TiqToq Valued Member Member

I've been noticing what might be some odd looking feces coming out of my betta. Sometimes it looks alright and other times I wonder if there is be an issue that needs to be addressed. I've had her for about one month, and she is currently in a tank being cycled using Prime, aquarium salt, and API betta water conditioner for topping off evaporated water.

Her diet is mainly Wardley betta pellets, sometimes soaked in garlic water, with occasional dehydrated bloodworms once a week. Last Saturday she had frozen brine shrimp instead. Mood and behavior has been consistent. Should I be concerned, and if so what can I do?

(Cue the embarrassingly in depth poop diary.)

4/8/17

[​IMG]

4/10/17

[​IMG]

4/15/17

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4/22/17

[​IMG]

4/24/17

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Is there a reason you have aquarium salt in the tank? Treating anything?

Just wondering, because Bettas should not be in saltwater for long periods.

3. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

To help her fins during the cycling process since they've begun to fade at the edges. It was added in just the other day.

4. Nanologist

Ah ok. Often stringy white-ish poops indicate parasites but it could also be diet or poor water conditions causing stress.

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I agree it could be either and her diet is not ideal. Thick white poops I would definitely say parasites. Stringy white poops I'd say constipation or parasites. Hers though does look interesting as far as poop goes lol, its long and kind of thick and brown.

Wardley pellets are not very good quality if I remember right, what are the first 4-5 ingredients? I'd go to feeding her brine shrimp once a day and invest in some good quality pellets. As far as over the counter goes, I like Omega One alot, they make a quality pellet. Ordering and sometimes in stores you can find Hikari or NLS who make good quality food too.

6. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

I'm hoping it's the latter. Thanks.

She certainly is an interesting pooper. I know we carry the Hikari and Omega One locally, so I'll nab some that next chance I get. Probably Hikari since I've heard a lot of good things about it or even NLS if it's an option. In the meantime I have the brine shrimp I can give her, but I wasn't sure if that was a once a week treat like bloodworms or could be a sustainable diet. Thank you for hopping over here to address more of my poor fish's issues. :joyful:

Edit: Oh, the first few ingredients are Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Dehulled Soybean Meal, and Corn Gluten Meal. Sounds like a lot of filler even if the first ingredient is fish.

7. Nanologist

Hikari Bio-gold changed their recipe and wheat flour is now the second predominate ingredient. With fish meal being number one.

NLS Betta Formula and Omega One Betta Buffet are my top two choice as they use whole fish ingredients. I personally use Omega One also but that's because NLS is not sold locally and would cost more to order from Amazon.

*edit - Hikari Bio-Gold Top Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flour, milt meal, Antarctic krill meal, gluten meal, clam meal, cuttlefish oil, soybean meal, enzyme, garlic, monosodium glutamate

8. CindiL

I used to really think Hikari was top notch but those ingredients are not great and in comparison to Omega One are very poor. Even the Omega One mini pellets are as follows: Salmon, Halibut, Whole Hering, Cod, Shrimp etc, wow what a comparison right?

9. Nanologist

Yeah, while researching what to feed Betta fish a few months ago, I kept reading praises for Hikari Bio-Gold. I then looked at the ingredients and was confused. That led me to researching more into Hikari and found out they changed the formula back in 2009. It's now just a bunch of fillers and often leads to constipation.

10. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

I'm glad I checked this thread on my phone before heading to the store. I do always like to check the ingredients of pet food before I buy it, but I was with my sister at the time I was picking out the food the first time and I didn't think she'd be thrilled if I sat in the fish food section for 20 minutes inspecting labels. :smuggrin: They actually carried all three brands, but the NLS ones said they were sinking pellets which I wasn't crazy about. I got the Omega One Color Mini Pellets since it listed more fish as its first ingredients than filler, but I had my hands on the Betta Buffet too. Wasn't sure if it was the best choice since it also has kelp. I can always exchange.

11. Nanologist

Minus the kelp they look to be about the same thing. The Betta Buffet is lower in fat is about the main difference I see. Either way I'm sure it's fine and will be much more of a substantial diet than your old food.

I agree with not caring for the sinking pellets since if my guy Phil doesn't see it on the surface it will go uneaten. Just be careful to kind of gently place the Omega One on the surface because I've dropped a few from about 6 inches up and if they break the water's surface tension they also sink...

12. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

I've got a habit dropping them in close to the water because I like to be sure I get my fish's attention to increase her odds at spotting the food. Thanks for the heads up. I did notice the fat content being a huge difference when comparing the two foods. I'm not sure how much that comes into play in a betta's diet.

Edit: Also wanted to mention she pooped soon as I got home. It was another odd pale one, but it wasn't nearly as constipated as the other day's which took something close to 3 hours to pass. This one passed in maybe 10 or so minutes. Yesterday was her fasting day and she missed her usual breakfast, so that may have helped a bit.

13. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

She pooped immediately after eating the new food for the first time. It was dark, short, and dropped off in a flash. :D I'll still keep an eye on her, but this is a good sign. Thank you for all your help!

I didn't realize how tiny the mini pellets actually are. I'm thankful Scurv is an ambitious eater and will chase down falling food and vacuum up everything at the top. Not as easy as dropping in a pellet one at time.

14. Nanologist

This is music to my ears! Glad to hear it.

Yeah, they are extremely tiny but I still feed Phil one at a time and either let him jump and grab it off my finger tip or I gently place it on the water surface. I feed him 3 in the morning and 3 at night on pellet days (he also gets frozen bloodworm and flakes other days).

15. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The smaller pellets may sink, but are probably better for her. I hate pellets overall. I'm a live, frozen , freeze-dried and flake feeder myself. I have never lost a betta to constipation, or even had to worry about the problem.
    New fin growth comes in clear and fills - so if the fish is young, she may not be losing colour but gaining growth. The salt would be a mistake in that case.
    Remember that Betta splendens has evolved as an insectivore, and bugs are high in roughage. Wings, shells - they eat eat them whole and low fiber foods kill them. Keep the protein and fiber coming, and they do fine. We may have linebred them for wildly overgrown fins and larger bodies, but their intestines are still adapted for bugs (mosquitoes/ants, midges - crunchy critters).

16. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

I'd love to feed her more live or frozen food, but I heard that brine shrimp and bloodworms (the ones I have frozen) aren't good as all-the-time feeders and more for treats no more than twice weekly. Is this your take or have you other things you feed your betta? I'm attempting to rear some mosquito larvae outside when the weather starts accommodating them since I heard that is the best thing to give a betta.
    (I also can't deny having chased a small fly around my room on more than one occasion with a pair of tweezers. :oops:)

As for the fins, I don't know her age but I suspect she is pretty young. I doubt many keep in as good a shape as she did in a pet store cup for very long. It does appear the color is receding inward toward the tail and not outward, and some black tinging on the very tips of the fins make me think it is the cycling water and not growth. Would be glad if I'm wrong. I did do a 25% water change today without adding salt, so that should have removed a bit of it from the water.

17. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I no longer have Bettas, but over the 40 years I did, I fed a lot of swatted bugs, live brine shrimp, chopped earthworms (yech, but it was my bettas), decapsulated brine shrimp, dried krill, freeze dried and frozen bloodworms (til I developed an allergy to them - a common problem) and flake. I was never impressed with the floating pellets. They are overall lower quality than the foods I used, and when I read about how many bettas are getting bloat here, I am suspicious. This was a rare thing years ago.
    You can spend a little more on foods, as they eat such a small amount. It goes a long way.
    I used to make a recipe - a bag of frozen (small northern) shrimp blended to mush (exoskeleton and all), a small jar of peas and carrots baby food, bird vitamins, astaxanthin powder (or mild paprika if you don't want to buy it) for colour, spirulina power and enough knox gelatin to bind it in thin sheets, in freezer bags. You break off a tiny piece every second day, and your fish love it. If it is almost frozen when it goes in, they don't mind and it floats for a minute.
    A few bucks in ingredients and very little time, and you have super high quality food for a long time.

18. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

Thank you! I had heard about earthworms being very good and have plans to go digging some up. Thankfully we don't use pesticides in our yard. The appeal of pellets seem to be their ease of use for the feeder and the fish. I hear they're easier for bettas in particular to snag with their mouths than the flakes, but I like to equate them to dog kibble. You can get very high quality kibbles and a low quality kibbles, but neither kibbles will be as good as feeding your dog a fresh hunk of prepared meat.

That is a recipe I'll keep for the books. :)

19. CindiL

I don't know where that idea about blood worms being a treat came from?

I feed them every day, one meal each, and never have bloated or constipated bettas. My betta sorority girls are fat but thats because they eat the cory food.

20. OP
    OP
    TiqToq

Almost everywhere on this forum and elsewhere I read they're too rich to be a main staple diet... which seemed odd seeing as I'd think rich would be a beneficial thing? I know that dehydrated bloodworms are another story, but most places I've seen said any bloodworms, frozen or otherwise.

On a separate note my betta pooped another quick, short one... but it was pale again. :/