Betta Pond/Tank?

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by trijohn, Nov 29, 2012.

1. trijohnValued MemberMember

This came to mind, and I'm wondering if it could be done. Koi and Carp are the most common pond fish (the only ones I've ever seen in ponds..) but I'm wondering if the concept could be changed to having numerous male bettas in a really large pond? From what I've read, in the wild when bettas fight, the loser just swims away. Could this possibly work in a pond or too much male aggression with multiple bettas? Or a really big tank with lots of hiding places?

That would be pretty cool with all the different color and tail blends.

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

First off, you'd have to maintain a higher water temperature than koi.

Domestic betta's are far more aggressive than their wild cousins. If you got wild fish, it would work. Provided you had plenty of plants and cover.

3. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

I agree also having a pond with to much cover will not even let you see your fish. A big tank would work better.

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

The big issue is, it won't work with domestic fish.

5. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I have seen two males in a 6ft aquarium that was heavily planted and decorated. But these two fish were as docile as lambs. It is very unlikely that you could do it and still enjoy the view of the fish.

6. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

If you wanted to try it, you could use a heavily planted large tank and put a divider in it when you first put the fish in. If the bettas seem to ignore each other, you could take the divider out and watch them for a while. Just be ready to put the divider back in if they show aggressiveness towards each other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice