Betta playing dead?

1. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi all,
    My betta Bluey has never been one to rest on the gravel in the past. His recently been put in a
    quad tank with 3 other bettas, they can see each other through the glass dividers. He was next to Dags to start out with but the 2 of them didnt rest, they were out for blood. So i moved Bluey to the other end
    of the tank next to Rain who is very placid for a betta. Since Rain wont play with Buley like Dags did it seems as though Bluey has lernt a new trick, playing dead on the gravel. Then when Rain approaches the divider, Bluey shoots up and attacks the glass. Now, this is very cute BUT as i said in the start Bluey has never been one to rest on gravel. Has my betta learnt a new trick OR is there potentially something wrong with him?

2. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

I just took this photo of him, he looks a little slumped, and he hated the flash light too:
    [​IMG]

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

My guess is that he is stressed, some bettas just can't handle divided tanks. I would remove him and put him in his own tank.

4. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Oh no, this was my fear. You dont think it could be because i separeted him from Dags? Before the quad tank Bluey and Dags were in separate tanks but the tanks were close to each other so they would play with each other then. But in the quad tank they became very aggressive towards each other thats why i moved Bluey away. Bluey is very dear to me, i adore this fish.

5. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I doubt it, bettas don't exactly have friends. They were most likely displaying to each other, showing their dominance. When you moved them closer to each other they most likely resumed their displays, but this time more aggressively since they were closer.

6. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Ok i have blocked his view of the other fish now, i used a bit of plastic.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully this helps now! And hopefully he feels better soon <3