Betta Physical Deformities?

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi i just got a new betta boy who seems to have some physical deformities (i think thats y i took him home).
he was in one of those small containers they have at pet stores and is now in a cycled 20L or 5 gallon by himself with a nice plant.

He was sold as a veil tail but his tail is kind of split in two but not in a fin rot or damaged type of way. (although i did put him on hold for a week while i saved up to get get him and in that time he did get fin rot on the top part of his duo tail, which i am treating him for now)
but he also seems to constaintly curved inwards like hes always turning right and has some lump under the surface of his skin on one side. the lump kind of looks like some one got half a small pea and placed in inside him on one side.

Im feeding him a diet of blood worms and pea since it is his first couple of days home and eats with enthusiasm but other than dinnertime he either hides in his plant or or leans against the filter intake. Im hoping he will perk up once hes settled or do you think hes on this way out?

My parameters for this tank are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5. I know its cycled coz i was keeping my other betta in there but moved him to a 40L

ill post pictures as soon as he comes out enough so i can take them

Do you think these abnormalities are just physical deformities or something else?

has anyone had bettas with physical deformities before???

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He could be a doubletail. They are known to be prown to have spinal deformities. A pic would be great help!

I have a betta that has only one eye. I think he was born without it because there's a space for the eye but the eye just isn't there, and other than an indent there is no evidence of damage. He acts totally normal, other than that. I just have to make sure he sees his food when I feed him. That isn't the same as yours, though.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He does sound like a double tail, for sure.

Algae: that is cute you have a betta with one eye. I have a one-eyed cat, myself. He was hit by a car (before we got him) and the vet wasn't able to save his right eye. His name is Lefty!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom