Betta Pair?

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by Oliver T., Jul 16, 2018.

1. Oliver T.

Oliver T.Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ok, so i have a male and female betta in a 40 gal planted tank, and (completely by accident) i think they paired up. There a red male dumbo and a white female dumbo. Is this a good thing? How do i know if theyre paired? Will they fight? Will they lay eggs? Will i have to remove them?

2. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

Oliver T.Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    1 year
  3. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Saying they are a pair literally only means they are a male and a female that have the willingness to breed (hopefully with each other).
    Betta splendens build bubble nests, if you do not have several hours a day to tend to and feed new fry (4-5 times a day with live foods for best growth/health), not to mention the damage a pair can do to each other if they do not like each other (some betta are willing to spawn with anything, some betta are so cold blooded they will kill other bettas than breed with them).
    Males tend bubble nests and females are chased off (if the female cannot get far enough away the male might kill her to protect the nest). a 40 breeder is a little tall to hope the pair will be successful with raising eggs to fry, the male collects the eggs as they spawn and puts them in the bubble nest, if the depth is too great he will become too tired to pick up the eggs.
    Breeding is the easy part, getting the resulting fry to a sellable size is the tough part. They are likely to get too easily lost in a 40 and not be able to be fed.

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +889
    Even some mating pairs can get crazy aggressive. If a female doesn't leave the male's territory after mating, he can oftentimes kill her. If this set up is working, then I would call this an exception, not something that people should try to accomplish.

Become a Fishlore Member