Betta owners should have Fish protector, vita chem, and garlic guard!

Shawnie
Fish protector, vita chem, and garlic guard!

Those 3, with daily water changes, saved omone's life...

He jumped the divider about 1 month ago, so pic 1 is after I freaked out and found him with RafikkI and pic 2 is him today...

Martinismommy
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shellbell4ever
OMG!!! what a difference He looks great

momo9700
Wow, that really helped! And btw, your betta looks beautiful, erm...handsome!

pinky93
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!he is gorgeous!!!!!I swear, he looks likeu jus bought him

MinxMermaid
um, can you send me a Betta Survival Kit!!!?

with 6 bettas, i'm sure they'll be a day we need it. I'll pay pal you the $$.

and, um, the post should also say.....

Every Betta Owner should have his/her head EXAMINED!!! Contageous MTS certain with each Betta Purchase!

ThisGuy
You can't even tell that he is the same fish... they had stress coat on sale at big Al's just picked up a bottle

goggles
well done, nice job. they need good owners and we can tell you are

Martinismommy
Went out today to load up on the fountain of youth...Went to Petco..They SUCK! They had NONE of the above items mentioned.....I was so PO'd....All they did have was a bunch of nasty "Cupkids" Most of them had finrot......It was gross....I asked the fish person when they expected a new shipment of Bettas...She said not for a week...I said GOOD! because the ones you have out need immediate attention! Grrrrrrrrrr Then things got worse...They still had the little halfmoon blue butterfly boy....I left him behind AGAIN....

Petco is on my Shi-List right now.....I may go back tomorrow and get the little guy....He is a royal blue halfmoon butterfly tail (black lacing) Poor little fellow! He's maybe 1 inch at the most....They had a $13.99 price tag on him..Way too much for a "Cupbaby" that has been there for over a week.....

momo9700
Went out today to load up on the fountain of youth...Went to Petco..They SUCK! They had NONE of the above items mentioned.....I was so PO'd....All they did have was a bunch of nasty "Cupkids" Most of them had finrot......It was gross....I asked the fish person when they expected a new shipment of Bettas...She said not for a week...I said GOOD! because the ones you have out need immediate attention! Grrrrrrrrrr Then things got worse...They still had the little halfmoon blue butterfly boy....I left him behind AGAIN....

Petco is on my Shi-List right now.....I may go back tomorrow and get the little guy....He is a royal blue halfmoon butterfly tail (black lacing) Poor little fellow! He's maybe 1 inch at the most....They had a $13.99 price tag on him..Way too much for a "Cupbaby" that has been there for over a week.....

I know what you mean, I HATE petco. They don't know how to take care of fish!!! They even said a normal pleco only gets to be 10 inches!!!!!>

Martinismommy
They are lucky I did NOT have my camera with me.....I would have made some waves for sure.....

Shawnie
um, can you send me a Betta Survival Kit!!!?

with 6 bettas, i'm sure they'll be a day we need it. I'll pay pal you the $$.

and, um, the post should also say.....

Every Betta Owner should have his/her head EXAMINED!!! Contageous MTS certain with each Betta Purchase!

LOL I just go to and order what I need because MOST LFS don't have it all...and yes I agree on the head examination theory !!!

ty everyone for the nice comments..omone is himself

Alessa
he is one beautiful handsome boy, and also lucky to have a great and caring owner!

MinxMermaid
LOL I just go to and order what I need because MOST LFS don't have it all...and yes I agree on the head examination theory !!!

ty everyone for the nice comments..omone is himself

ok, FINE! I ordered my own!!!

oh yeah, and i'm soooo happy your baby made such a nice recovery!!

sometimes I forget that its not all about ME!!

COBettaCouple
I hate Deathco more than the other chains and only would give them business if NO other alternative could be found. :;pirate Cheaper to shop online anyway.

Those are definite "must stock" items, and I keep a couple bottles of each.

I've ordered from DFS and do like them, but they don't carry Fish Protector so I order from thatfishplace - they're usually a bit cheaper than DFS too.

momo9700
I think the only thing Petco is good for, is cheap tanks. I got my 29 gal with hood, filter, heater, water conditioner, net, and a little bit of food, for $129.99 cheapest I could find.

Martinismommy
OK Shawnie....

My shipment arrived....What next? lol.....How often do I use the fish protector and how much? The vitachem says 1 drop per gallon once a week....I'm hoping the boys will go for the garlic guard because I tried minced garlic and they ALL spit it out!

Shawnie
this is what I do, and not that its totally correct, but its what ive learned from the betta king aka dave LOL

when I do weekly changes, the vita chem and fish protector always go in...and the garlic pieces (mine like it and finding garlic guard is like giving up your first born) is what my fish get after I fast them on sun..they get it on monday so I know they will eat it cause they are so mad I didnt feed them on sunday...

If I'm wrong, ill be corrected I'm sure but that's my plan for now seeing how my kids like it...I'm sure there's others that do it different, and I follow along with other suggestions but there's my few cents worth..and it won't cost ya a dime ;D

Martinismommy
So add nothing in between weekly water changes correct? This will be easy! Whoopie!!!!!!!

Shawnie
If there are no issues, fin rot, bloating, depression(you all know betta's have that now n then, must be a testosterone thingy lol) etc, I dont...but I'm sure others will let you know some of their preferences

COBettaCouple
I treat all water with Prime AND Fish Protector. They make a great combination conditioner. (1-2 drops of each per gallon) If you have a sick or fin damaged Betta, you can also add 1-2 per gallon to the tank daily.

Vita-Chem, I add 1 drop per gallon 3x a week, pretty much every other day.

Garlic Guard, I add 1 drop per gallon 3x a week, with the Vita-Chem.

How often do I use the fish protector and how much? The vitachem says 1 drop per gallon once a week....I'm hoping the boys will go for the garlic guard because I tried minced garlic and they ALL spit it out!

chickadee
Okay, now for a quick lesson in fish supplies that I think every betta mommy and daddy need to keep on hand for emergencies.

The Fish Protector, Vita Chem, and Garlic Guard or Minced Garlic we all know.

The Rid Fungus is a good one but only Dave knows where it is found and even I don't have it.

Trisulfa (Mardel Brand in the blue box) (this is HARD to find ... this is NOT Triple Sulfa by API!)
does not carry this item

MaracynII (now don't faint when you see the price it is 24 packets)
(price is more reasonable for the smaller box and this place has both sizes)

Maracyn Plus (it is $9.99 an 8 ounce container here but since I have so many fish I usually pay $29.99 for the quart size as it is a wonderful product and covers so MANY illnesses and they respond to it so well. It treats the fish NOT the water.) (You get a liquid that is easy to measure and treat any size tank and you treat days 1, 3 , and 5 and do a water change and if necessary repeat one time for 3 more doses then put the carbon back .... EASY)

Fungus Clear Tank Buddies (for those of us who cannot find Rid Fungus)

I FOUND RID FUNGUS ..... WOW
(this is for aquarium use too they say so it is safe for all our fish too.

Well that will do for you for now. This is what I keep in my pharmacy at home and it is all used at one time or another for various fish. If you only keep bettas then you may be able to do with just the Maracyn Plus and the Trisulfa and leave the MaracynII out but I do use it too occasionally. I never buy meds for ICH, VELVET, or any of those diseases as the treatment for them is simply to raise the temperature to 83 degrees and leave it there for a FULL 14 days with no let up in the temperature or the parasite will settle back on the fish. If the temperature is over that degree they will be free swimming in the water and die because they are not ON the fish. After 14 days the parasites lifecycle is over and the fish are safe to go back to their normal 80 degrees. For Velvet they also need to be in a completely dark environment like covered with a black trash bag all around or in some way prevented from getting light in their tanks as the Velvet parasite also lives on beams of light. I remember one member who had kept the box the tank came in and he just lowered the fish, tank and water and all back down into the box for the full time of the treatment and only opened him up in the dark room long enough to feed him and do some small water changes as he was not even cycled yet. That poor guy went through a lot to keep his little friend going. He did treat him with Coppersafe for the parasite at this time though if I remember though.

Rose

Shawnie
I saved them all!! ty Rose!!!

also one other good one that I always always have for "just because it works amazing" is stress coat(which has aloe and works on fish like a liquid band aide for boo boo's)

pamd
The Rid Fungus is a good one but only Dave knows where it is found and even I don't have it.

Trisulfa (Mardel Brand in the blue box) (this is HARD to find ... this is NOT Triple Sulfa by API!)
does not carry this item

Rose

Thanks for the useful summary, Rose.

Some people might be able to find Rid Fungus locally. I did, although I can't remember which store. We have the usual big chains plus a few independent fish stores here.

Do you recommend against Triple Sulfa? That's what I happen to have on hand. Is it less effective or more dangerous than Trisulfa?

Do you know the shelf life of any/all of these products?

chickadee
The shelf life is at least 2 years on any of the ones I have purchased and I have always used my supply in that time.

I do not have any problems with the Triple Sulfa other than it is $7.99 and the Trisulfa is $2.99 for the same thing. The Triple Sulfa does the same job and does not treat any more gallons of water or for any longer for 3 times the price so I will not purchase it. I also know that Trisulfa is the best thing I have ever used for finrot and I have not used the Triple Sulfa so I cannot say that it would work as well.

Rose

COBettaCouple
I've used both and they seem to be equally effective. Right now, we have Triple Sulfa, since we won a couple boxes at fish auctions.

The Rid-Fungus is something we used to get from DFS, but not for a while.

chickadee
But now Petsmart has it in the Pond Rid Fungus that is for aquariums too so I think the supply problem is solved for that product. You are not even able to buy it from the manufacturer. (Kordon)

Rose

Martinismommy
I saw the pond rid fungus yesterday onpetsmart....I still have my coupons from winning fish of the month...I wanted to order it but wasn't sure if it was the same product as the regular rid fungus...Is it that same?

I'm still having issues with Patrons tail and am at my witts end as to what to try next....He completed his 14 days of triple sulpha and I saw NO improvement....I have him on garlic guard, vitachem, fish protector and stress coat with daily 50% water changes....He is in my little 3 gallon hospital tank which has a slow flow filter...I just don't get what's going on....

Any input would be appreciated..

COBettaCouple
Patron may have non-fin rot damage, fungal fin rot or be resistant to sulfa meds. Would you be able to post a pic of his tail?

Check kordon's site to look up the product info pages on rid fungus and pond rid fungus.

chickadee
It is for aquarium use too that is why I posted the link for it. It is the same stuff as the regular kind.

Rose

Martinismommy
OK, it's not a pretty picture to look at but I'm posting it to try and help him and any others that may be experiencing tail loss.....

His top fins are falling off completely....Part of it is starting to grow back but it is a slow process..

This was taken right now:

127.jpg

This was 5 days ago:

128.jpg

chickadee
Karen part of the problem is that while he is on Trisulfa he should not have had the daily water changes. That med needs to build up in the water to be effective I think. When I did the daily water changes it was in uncycled tanks and then just to keep the ammonia below 0.25 for the healing. I did not realize you were doing a 50% daily or I would have mentioned it. This is my fault for not realizing you were doing this. You mentioned water changes and I should have asked you how much you were doing. I have also seen fish who just do not respond to Sulfa and need the other types of meds. I think we had one member who had to go the erythromycin route (straight Maracyn) and it took longer and was more effective for that particular fish. I also saw one who went with tetracycline but I hate to recommend that as it does affect the bacterial bed and will kill your cycle dead. So if you ever have to use it, transfer the fish to a tank with no filter and just do the water changes and get one of us to figure med doses for you to make up for them. I did for one member one time and it worked fine but it is complicated as the dickens. It works out to part of a dose plus the one for the day to make up for what you are removing for the water change but not the whole amount as it has degenerated from being a day older so you need the computer to figure it for you so let us send you the table for the amounts if you ever decide to use it. I think I would have to work it up again.

Rose

Martinismommy
Rose, I did not start doing the water changes until Sat which was day 14 of the meds....I did 1 water change on day 7 and that was it....The ammonia has remained at 0...Nitrates 10...This is a cycled tank....I am at a loss right now...He is eating and acting totally normal...He has a huge bubble nest he's been working on....Everything seems fine except his tail loss...

Shawnie
poor patron!!! you look nekid darlin!! big hugs !!

when rafikkI lost ALL his fins from flying on the floor, it took a good month or 2 for him to regrow ..he was totally nekid but hes recovered now ....goodluck handsome patron...you are still PERFECT to me...btw, missed you too mama in da shoe!!

chickadee
Well it could be that the part that was infected is just now falling off and it is going to have to happen but I think that the water changes and continued use of the other things .. Vitachem and Fish Protector and Rid Fungus if you decide to get it will not hurt him. I would not do any more Trisulfa as it has done all it will. He does not have a bacterial problem but he does have a problem so I would treat with the other things and continue as you are . The thing is it is a long process and he will be a long while regenerating that fin tissue but we need to get him to the point it is not degenerating anymore and that has not been reached yet. So you need to do the Rid Fungus yet I think. At least try it.

Rose

Martinismommy
OK Rose....I'll get him on Rid fungus tomorrow....I'm not going to order it I'll just go to petco and get it they have it but it is $17.99 a bottle....He is worth every penny to me...He is my sweet little man and I want him back to normal....

I can see growth on his top fin already....That section I showed you last week that had fallen off so that's a good sign!

Thank you Rose for all your help...I haven't want to bother you because I know you are dealing with your own issues right now.....

chickadee
Oh please do not worry about me because I need you all to help me distract myself from all my little nitpicky issues and not get to feeling sorry for myself. So please do contact me when you need me. I am always happy to hear from my friends here.

Rose

COBettaCouple
Patron's got the best of care and he'll get his finnage back. We just had to start Stacy's #1 baby, Rocky on the fin rot treatment plan last night. I think he got it from some splits in his tail showing off his finnage for Chloe.

Martinismommy
Dave....How much and how often should I be putting the rid fungus in Patrons tank?

COBettaCouple
I add the recommended amount to the tank daily.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views
Danni
Replies
Views
beckster914
Replies
Views