Betta Or Guppies? 10 Gallon Tank

1. ILikeBigFishandICannotLie Initiate Member

Just want some input, I've got a ten gallon hangin' around just waiting to be cycled and I keep debating with myself whether I want a Betta tank or a few pretty male guppies.

What is y'all's opinion? Pros and cons?

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Betta tank.

If you want a group of male guppies I'd aim for around 6+, the more the better, to spread out any possible aggression. A 10 gallon doesn't give enough room for that. We've had a few issues recently on fishlore with members who have had male guppies fighting. If you want a groups of male guppies a 20 long with 8 males is a good idea, much safer than just a couple in a 10 gallon.

Bettas are also much more interactive.

Depending on the betta's personality you could have some shrimp and snails too. I keep my betta with amano shrimp, nerite snails, rabbit snails and pest snails.

3. ILikeBigFishandICannotLie Initiate Member

Yeah that's kind of the direction I was leaning. I see A LOT of Betta enthusiasts on the forum that seem to have, and enjoy an interesting relationship with their fish. I had one when I was 8 or 9, it was in a gallon bowl. No heater, no filter, no substrate. Poor guy lived like that for 2 years before passing away. Knowing what I know now I feel terrible but at the time I remember being proud that I had even kept a fish alive for that long! Oh the blissful ignorance of youth!

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

A guppy fraternity is a gamble. It might work out great, or they might duel all day, every day. Search this forum for endless threads reporting the problem. Somebody launches one every week here.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You have other options too. Are you set on one of these two options?
    Of the two, I'd do the betta.

6. ILikeBigFishandICannotLie Initiate Member

Not necessarily set, no. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions! I've just always thought the bettas and guppies were beautiful. Sorry for the slow response.

7. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I agree. Male Guppies are a sad sight all by themselves. They are made to breed and that's what they live for.

Not sure if you like small fish,but what about 2 sparkling Gouramis and a school of Chili rasboras?
    That's what I have but in a 20 gal long. The sparkling Gouramis are adorable, make little noises and seem to have a personality like a betta (they are labyrinth fish too). They can be kept in pairs or groups and don't have the fin problems that a lot of bettas have.
    The chili rasboras very nice too :)

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How about
    8 CPD
    2 Peacock gobies or 3-4 Asian stone catfish
    1 Nerite snail
    6 Amano shrimp

Or
    8 Ember tetras
    1Male endler
    2 Sparkling gouramis
    1 Rabbit snail
    6-8 amano shrimp

9. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I'll never stop annoying folks on this subject. The forum acts like you are stuck with a litter of rabid pit bulls if a fish gives birth in your aquarium. It couldn't be easier to mitigate or completely resolve.

10. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

A betta in that big of a tank by itself is pretty boring, IMO (inverts don't excite me either). I'd probably do a school of some kind of nano fish- CPDs, green neon tetras, something of the like.