Betta or Guppies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm about to have an empty tank once my goldies move to the 55 gallon, and I was dead-set on a betta (I have a lot of experience with them, I bred them for a while when I was younger) because my local Petco actually has extremely beautiful bettas. I mean, gorgeous! One of the workers there takes great care of them and changes out their water quite often, they're always in clean water and well fed.

Anyway, today I went into my LFS and saw the guppies. He got them traded in from a guy who was a dedicated breeder for years. He had spanish dancers and leopard guppies. Some of the prettiest guppies I've ever laid eyes on, with enormous tails.

So now I'm torn - do I want a betta, or do I want guppies again? I'm having trouble deciding! If I did get the guppies, I'd continue the breeding line where the guy left off. I already have a fry tank from when I had guppies before (I recently sold mine with a ten gallon in order to fund my 55 gallon.)

But I do love bettas too. What would you guys do? Get a betta or take the rare opportunity to grab some unique guppies to breed?

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The other thing I was thinking about doing is moving my apple snails to the 55 gallon with the goldies and using the 5 gallon as a betta tank. Hmmmm...

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
will the guppies be in the 5 gallon? if so i would go with the betta but if you are going to keep them in something bigger i would go with the guppies. don't get me wrong i love my betta but having something thriving so much in your tank that it produces offspring is the ultimate goal in fish keeping if you ask me. even if they are guppies which would probably breed anywhere they wanted.

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh no no, I wouldn't keep guppies in a 5 gallon. Right now my 5 gallon is strictly a snail tank. But, my largest apple snail is starting to outgrow it anyway, so I'm seriously considering moving the snails to the 55 gallon with the goldfish. Maybe I will try that out and see how they do together, and if it works out it frees up my 5 gallon for a betta, and my other tank for guppies!

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if and when i ever decide to take my juvie betta female and put her in my community tank i am so making that 5gallon a heavily planted shrimp tank

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Me too! I have it in my 55. My LFS has java moss and I'm going to buy some more live plants to plant it out from a user here on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom