Betta on the bottom breath heavily. Video included? What to do? Please Help

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all, I've had my betta since it was a baby in a 10g filtered heated lightly planted tank feeding him a variety of food and he has been very healthy and happy until the last Monday. The fish is now on the bottom of the tank not moving much, has a slightly swollen pale belly and seems to be "heavy" when swimming. He goes to the surface every now and then and then it sinks again to the bottom. I managed to get him to eat some pea yesterday but nothing ever since. I don't want to lose this guy. Water parameters are fine. On sunday I did the partial water change as usual and ever since he is going downhill. I did a 50% water change yesterday too. I used some Sera Baktopur (it is a acriflavin/methylene blue med - to help him breathe, I've read that methylene blue binds oxygen or sth).

[video=youtube;gDu3V6kZo48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDu3V6kZo48&feature=youtu.be[/video]

GuineaPigster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry to hear your little guy is under the weather!
How old is he? Are there any weird growths or spots?
Keep me posted!

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GuineaPigster said:
Sorry to hear your little guy is under the weather!
How old is he? Are there any weird growths or spots?
Keep me posted!
I think less than a year old. No, nothing.

5thgradeguppyraiser

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the way he looked at the camera was so sad! he looked so desperate! i can't think of any reason why this is happening( if you look i am a beginner) i hope he feels better!!

GuineaPigster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's so weird. He has an awesome life. Not many people believe that bettas deserve a habitat bigger than a sippy cup. ): I would try feeding peas, and keep the water PRISTINE! I googled it and can't find any reason for these symptoms, besides for ammonia/nitrate poisoning, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Best of luck!!!
-GUINEAPIGSTER

Fishwiz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Poor little guy cant think of why he'd be under the weather. Is it possible he has a internal disease. He will need to get to the top more as he is a labyrinth fish and they breath air like gouramis. Hope he gets better soon

GuineaPigster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh, also, about the breathing issue, you might want to put a pot in there if he's having trouble breathing and needs to go up more often so that he can rest on the top of the pot and does not need to journey far. Hope this helps!

Mrpopper22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could do something like this. This was how I got my betta better when he did the same thing. This is my 5 gallon. The vase is completely submerged in the tank then a tuperware container sits ontop slightly tilted so that fresh water from the filter can keep freah water cycling in. You can do water changes without disturbing him.

Attachments

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks a lot guys. I did similar to the photo above to help him. The tank lights are off for a while now so I am assuming he is sleeping. Tomorrow will tell if he is better. I hope this little fella pulls through. I will keep you guys posted hopefully with a video of him flaring.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately this little guy didn't make it. :'(
His belly was yellow-ish white today and his gills wide open and white. Seems like a bacteria infection. I am sorry that I lost him but I am happy that I did the best I could to make him live a happy life. Some fish are poorly bred and not destined to live for long. I am a bit disappointed but I might get a new betta, only because 10 months in a 10 gallon tank filtered and heated is better than 2 weeks in a filthy cup.

GuineaPigster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm so sorry. You did everything you could and gave him a great life. He is luckier than 100% of the bettas I know.
About getting a new betta; I would strongly urge you not to buy another. I don't know if you're familiar with puppy mills, but it is the same for fish and when you buy fish, it feeds money into the petstore's pocket, the petstore will take that money and breed more fish, contributing to the cruel cycle. There are actually fish rescues (Google one in your area), so if you are interested in more fish, check that.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GuineaPigster said:
I'm so sorry. You did everything you could and gave him a great life. He is luckier than 100% of the bettas I know.
About getting a new betta; I would strongly urge you not to buy another. I don't know if you're familiar with puppy mills, but it is the same for fish and when you buy fish, it feeds money into the petstore's pocket, the petstore will take that money and breed more fish, contributing to the cruel cycle. There are actually fish rescues (Google one in your area), so if you are interested in more fish, check that.
I am sorry I didn't read your post earlier. I already bought a new one. :/
I was at the lfs and it was the only betta in a proper tank, it was actually a display tank and no wonder they chose that one for that tank. It has a part of it's tail missing but it's a gorgeous butterfly HalfMoon and is the last betta I am getting, ever. I've had a betta for 3 years and he has forgiven all my mistakes (had him in a bowl at first). Now I can't get them to live over a year. This one is the last one for sure

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom