Betta Not Swimming Or Eating?

Karen529P

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all;

My fish has been showing some very strange and worrying behavior recently and I was hoping to get some help figuring out what may be going on.

Some background info: I've had Mr. Jazzytails aka Spot, a crowntail Betta, fo roughly 16 months. He lives in a 6.7 gallon tank with a heater and filter. Water temp is about 76°, sometimes gets a little warmer because of good old California but never exeeds 80°. The tank is planted, I first introduced a few small plants early December and kept adding on from there. Most recent plants are maybe a month old because I ran out of substrate space and money.

I noticed about two weeks or so ago that he's been hanging out on the bottom of the tank instead of his usual preferred spot of on the heater (weirdo). No big deal, I thought, maybe he just prefers this particular new live plant.

Then I noticed the other day that he left his pellets untouched. I tried feeding him some flakes instead, as iI wa hoping he maybe just wanted some variety. Nope, they didn't work and neither did bloodworms.

Looking back, I began to realize that I haven't seen him swim at all in the past few weeks. I've been incredibly busy with school, work, and other responsibilities and haven't had much time at home to really watch him - I just kind of put in his food and leave, since I had no reason to assume he wouldn't eat. The only time I've ever seen him move is when I disturbed him to make sure he was alive. No bubble nests either, I used to always at least have a line of bubbles along half the perimeter of the tank.

No other signs of distress; last I checked water parameters were fine, maybe a little hard but that's not unusual for the water in our area and it's no harder than it has been the last 17 months. I'm going to check them again tomorrow to see if maybe something else develoled? Plants all seem healthy. Not growing as fast as I would like to give him more cover, but they're definitely growing.

I'm at a loss as to what could be going on, my best guess is that he's just old but would love to get some advice in case it's something I can fix.

IMG_20180509_001319071.jpg IMG_20180511_212446039.jpg IMG_20180511_212455301_LL.jpg IMG_20180509_001336257.jpg

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like he might have swim bladder disease. I'd not feed anything for 3 days and then offer a deshelled pea. You can buy frozen ones and warm them up in the microwave .

I'd also try to make a cheap platform for him to sit on that's right at the surface. That will help him get air easier. I like to use breeder nets and place a broad leaf in there for sick bettas to sit on.

Karen529P

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oOBlueOo said:
It looks like he might have swim bladder disease. I'd not feed anything for 3 days and then offer a deshelled pea. You can buy frozen ones and warm them up in the microwave .

I'd also try to make a cheap platform for him to sit on that's right at the surface. That will help him get air easier. I like to use breeder nets and place a broad leaf in there for sick bettas to sit on.
Thanks so much! I'm going shopping tomorrow and will be sure to stop by the grocery store to pick some up. Should I resume feeding as normal after the pea? Wait a few days before normal feeding? Wait a few days and give him another? What if he doesn't eat the pea?

I have one of those suction Betta hammock leaves about an inch from the surface, he used to hang out there but hasn't touched it in a while. Is that sufficient, or is there something more I could do?

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish with swim bladder issues can't really control how they swim. I'd try to go for an enclosed area or have a bunch of floating plants for him to be secure.

As for the pea, if it is swim bladder, it should help him. If not, it might be something more serious.

Hopefully someone else has more advice. That's all I got. Or all I can think of right now at this time of night

Karen529P

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've set up a net breeder including the plastic plants it came with and the dwarf grass that got uprooted when I was trying to get him in it. I'll have to replant some things when he's healthy. He has about 4" of water, is that good? Other than this and the pea, is there anything else I can do to help him? Thank you again for all your help.

IMG_20180512_114245477.jpg 15261506719661361444754.jpg

Karen529P

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The pea has been in his little net thing for 24 hours untouched. At what point do I try something else? What else is there to try?

Karen529P

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello I'm sorry for triple posting

He ended up eating the pea after all! Should I keep him in the net breeder for a while or release him back to the main tank? When should I resume feeding as normal?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom