2 Gallon Tank Betta not recovering from fin rot

Kediil

Got this Betta for my granma a while back, I *think* he was a half moon.. anyway her frogs are fine, but I discovered this guy was losing his fins. She was also feeding him bloodworms every day instead of the *fish* food I got her.
I gave her the meds to give him, I don't know if she followed the instructions after I did the first dose. She claimed yes, but who the heck knows. I only know she asked me to take him a while later as he wasn't getting better.

I've tried treating this jerk with a Methylene Blue dip, API Fungus Cure, and API Erythromycin.

I treat standard with Prime, Stress Guard and use almond leaf at water changes. I don't always do aquarium salt, maybe every few months unless an actual need arises. Otherwise I typically do either 30% weekly or 60% bimonthly. He's on his own in a heated, sponge filtered 3 gallon tank.

He seemed like he was doing better, haven't seen sight of fungus or more loss, but his fins stolidly refused to start growing back.
It's been several months. I've treated him I believe twice in this time. He's also on Spectrum Betta bits.

He hasn't lost any MORE fin, but no new growth. I did another dip after the most recent water change, and I added the fungus cure and erythromycin as well.

He's taken to floating slightly sideways at the top of the tank, even though he'll dive and go after food with gusto. I assume he's developed a swim bladder issue. I added salt this water change, so hopefully that much gets fixed.

Point is, let's just assume the swim bladder gets fixed.
My question is, what else can I possibly do to get Bobbert healthy?? Preferably with a nice, at least decent set of fins. I'd like to be able to put him in my lovely planted 20 gallon, but with such pathetic fins he can't deal with the water flow from the HOB. (I use a 50 gallon aquaclear on my 20)

Tldr; Betta won't heal.

Emergency Template:
Tank
Volume - 3 gallon
Running - almost a year
Filter - yes, sponge
Heater - yes, 78°
Stock - 1 male betta

Maintenance
Changes - every 1 to 2 weeks, more if medicating, parameters get checked
Amount - 30 to 60%, or as directed
Treat with - prime, stress guard, almond leaf
Vacuum - water + substrate (sand)

*Parameters - Very Important
Cycled - yes
Testing - API master kit
Parameters - post full water change, from tap
Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: about 7?

Feeding
When - one to two times daily
Amount - 1 pellet each time
Brand - Spectrum Betta formula
Frozen - occasional as treat
Freeze dried - as treat soaked in medicated water if necessary

Illness & Symptoms
Owned - approximately 1 year between granma and me
Onset - 10 months?
Symptoms - fin rot, poor nutrition - recent swim bladder
Treatment - Methylene Blue, API Fungus Cure, API Erythromycin - aquarium salt
When purchased - seemed fine
Behavior - since I've had him, semi lethargic? Sideways surface floating over the last couple weeks. Appetite has stayed good.

Noroomforshoe

Bloodworms are an important part of a carnivore's diet. A betta should have a high protein food like blood worms, daphnia, or fruitflies 1-2 times a week instead of other foods. It is not a treet as even the best pellets and flakes contain grains and plant matter that is mostly just fiber for a betta. so, if a pellet is half grains and plants and half meat, he mostly only benefits from half of the food you feed him. But also, the fiber will act as a diuretic and he will lose some of that half as well. A varied diet is important for all fish, we really dont know what they put in it. I suggest adding another food like bug bites, or repashy, wich could help as the gelitin may help his fins.

IT is wonderfull that you are trying so many things for this fish, but I think the best thing you can do is make sure he has clean water. Medicines can be worse than the initial problem.

bettasXD

Got this Betta for my granma a while back, I *think* he was a half moon.. anyway her frogs are fine, but I discovered this guy was losing his fins. She was also feeding him bloodworms every day instead of the *fish* food I got her.
I gave her the meds to give him, I don't know if she followed the instructions after I did the first dose. She claimed yes, but who the heck knows. I only know she asked me to take him a while later as he wasn't getting better.

I've tried treating this jerk with a Methylene Blue dip, API Fungus Cure, and API Erythromycin.

I treat standard with Prime, Stress Guard and use almond leaf at water changes. I don't always do aquarium salt, maybe every few months unless an actual need arises. Otherwise I typically do either 30% weekly or 60% bimonthly. He's on his own in a heated, sponge filtered 3 gallon tank.

He seemed like he was doing better, haven't seen sight of fungus or more loss, but his fins stolidly refused to start growing back.
It's been several months. I've treated him I believe twice in this time. He's also on Spectrum Betta bits.

He hasn't lost any MORE fin, but no new growth. I did another dip after the most recent water change, and I added the fungus cure and erythromycin as well.

He's taken to floating slightly sideways at the top of the tank, even though he'll dive and go after food with gusto. I assume he's developed a swim bladder issue. I added salt this water change, so hopefully that much gets fixed.

Point is, let's just assume the swim bladder gets fixed.
My question is, what else can I possibly do to get Bobbert healthy?? Preferably with a nice, at least decent set of fins. I'd like to be able to put him in my lovely planted 20 gallon, but with such pathetic fins he can't deal with the water flow from the HOB. (I use a 50 gallon aquaclear on my 20)

Tldr; Betta won't heal.

Emergency Template:
Tank
Volume - 3 gallon
Running - almost a year
Filter - yes, sponge
Heater - yes, 78°
Stock - 1 male betta

Maintenance
Changes - every 1 to 2 weeks, more if medicating, parameters get checked
Amount - 30 to 60%, or as directed
Treat with - prime, stress guard, almond leaf
Vacuum - water + substrate (sand)

*Parameters - Very Important
Cycled - yes
Testing - API master kit
Parameters - post full water change, from tap
Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: about 7?

Feeding
When - one to two times daily
Amount - 1 pellet each time
Brand - Spectrum Betta formula
Frozen - occasional as treat
Freeze dried - as treat soaked in medicated water if necessary

Illness & Symptoms
Owned - approximately 1 year between granma and me
Onset - 10 months?
Symptoms - fin rot, poor nutrition - recent swim bladder
Treatment - Methylene Blue, API Fungus Cure, API Erythromycin - aquarium salt
When purchased - seemed fine
Behavior - since I've had him, semi lethargic? Sideways surface floating over the last couple weeks. Appetite has stayed good.
3 gallon tank seems a little small. Most people here agrees that bettas must have tank of at least 5 gallons.

Kediil

3 gallon tank seems a little small. Most people here agrees that bettas must have tank of at least 5 gallons.
I have a 20 gallon. He's in quarantine as I don't want to have to treat a very stable planted 20 gallon.
Bloodworms are an important part of a carnivore's diet. A betta should have a high protein food like blood worms, daphnia, or fruitflies 1-2 times a week instead of other foods. It is not a treet as even the best pellets and flakes contain grains and plant matter that is mostly just fiber for a betta. so, if a pellet is half grains and plants and half meat, he mostly only benefits from half of the food you feed him. But also, the fiber will act as a diuretic and he will lose some of that half as well. A varied diet is important for all fish, we really dont know what they put in it. I suggest adding another food like bug bites, or repashy, wich could help as the gelitin may help his fins.

IT is wonderfull that you are trying so many things for this fish, but I think the best thing you can do is make sure he has clean water. Medicines can be worse than the initial problem.
To be more specific, spectrum is his 'main' diet, and frozen foods like daphnia, bloodworms, and a freshwater mix are treats 1-2 times per week. I also have bug bites which I switch out occasionally. His tank is also next to my PC, so if I'm eating some chicken or such, and it happens to be his dinner time, then I share, same for the occasional shelled pea.
I also occasionally make gelatin foods using various Angel Plus flakes. All I have right now is spirulina, so I haven't had that one for a while.
Just felt that a detailed food journal wasn't as necessary. ;p I wish *I* has the variety of Bobbert.

Noroomforshoe

Cool, I was Just trying to think of anything that could help your fish. I might put him in the 20 gallon and let him heal naturally and baffle the current if necessary. Good luck with him!

bettasXD

I have a 20 gallon. He's in quarantine as I don't want to have to treat a very stable planted 20 gallon.
Oh. Ok

Kediil

Cool, I was Just trying to think of anything that could help your fish. I might put him in the 20 gallon and let him heal naturally and baffle the current if necessary. Good luck with him!
I tried. It's not a crazy current, but he just sort of lilts in slow circles on the quieter left side of the tank. And it doesn't look like it's an action taken by choice.. Once I fix the current swim bladder issue, I may try again for longer and see how he does. :(

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Reybetta
Replies
Views
CHIMERA
Replies
Views