betta Not Eating

Viz

Reaction score
My Betta isn't eating! He's just lying at the bottom of the tank for almost a week. He's my first betta. I'm really worried. He is in a tank with 3 small goldfish (they don't bother him). I was thinking of putting him in a jar and trying to force him to eat. Really desperate

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe try some "worm" type of food to entice him: Bloodworms...tubifex...or even bottom sinking shrimp pellets. My baby betta likes sinking food more than he does surface food...maybe try those first BEFORE you "force" him to try to eat.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most likely it's because of the goldfish and tank conditions.

Your profile says you don't know of the nitrogen cycle. Cycling is an important part of having an aquarium, so I can only assume that your ammonia levels are through the roof and that's why your betta isn't eating.

Give us answers to the following questions and we'll try to help you.
-Tank size?
-Do you have a heater?
-How long have the fish been in there?
-Do you have any sort of water test kit?

Viz

Reaction score
My tank's about 50 litres. Room temperature is about 25 Celsius. I don't have any heaters and stuff. My fish have been there for 5 months.

Oh. And I have a filter. Its a submerged pump+filter thing. Really powerful

SFGiantsGuy said:
Maybe try some "worm" type of food to entice him: Bloodworms...tubifex...or even bottom sinking shrimp pellets. My baby betta likes sinking food more than he does surface food...maybe try those first BEFORE you "force" him to try to eat.
I don't think they are available in my area

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
That tank is EXTREMELY overstocked. Goldfish require 200+ gallons or ponds. Your betta should be in a tank at 80degrees and the goldfish around 60 degrees. You should rehome the goldfish and buy a heater for the betta.

Viz

Reaction score
penguin02 said:
The goldfish need to go. Do you know anything about how a tank cycles?
I don't know about tank cycles...
I checked my betta closely now. His "side fins" are gone! Tail is OK. But his stomach is kinda swollen. Do you think I can save him?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tap or well water? Any sort of water conditioner? I don’t have anyone here right now that can look at your pic. I’m sorry you and your fish are going through this. I wish I could see your Betta. Is it having difficulty breathing?

Viz

Reaction score
Its
Gypsy13 said:
Tap or well water? Any sort of water conditioner? I don’t have anyone here right now that can look at your pic. I’m sorry you and your fish are going through this. I wish I could see your Betta. Is it having difficulty breathing?
Its tap water but with a water conditioner. It says sodium thiosulphate Disodium EDTA.
He seems to be breathing fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom