Betta not eating, sinking to bottom, help please!

ineedhelp2

please help me, i really need an answer! i believe my fish is sick and its currently 10pm where i am and pet stores are closed, when i got home at about 9:30 i went to check on my fish and it was motionless laying on top of my heater, i started having a panic attack because i really dont wanna lose him. i tried to get him to move by sticking a fish net in there and he moved, i tried giving him a pellet and he didnt eat which was crazy because he always eats his food quickly, and he always swims then falls to the bottom. i really think he is sick. please help! he is a betta that i got in december.

Dunk2

please help me, i really need an answer! i believe my fish is sick and its currently 10pm where i am and pet stores are closed, when i got home at about 9:30 i went to check on my fish and it was motionless laying on top of my heater, i started having a panic attack because i really dont wanna lose him. i tried to get him to move by sticking a fish net in there and he moved, i tried giving him a pellet and he didnt eat which was crazy because he always eats his food quickly, and he always swims then falls to the bottom. i really think he is sick. please help! he is a betta that i got in december.
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) and what are you using to test?

ineedhelp2

i have no tests and all stores are closed!!
but i added prime which should take care of the ammonia for a while!

Dunk2

i have no tests and all stores are closed!!
but i added prime which should take care of the ammonia for a while!
Do you know if your tank is cycled?

When is the last time you did a water change and how much did you change?

What size tank and is there anything in it other than the Betta?

Can you post a picture of the fish?

ineedhelp2

i think my tank is cycled because if not i think my fish wouldve died due to ammonia apike, and whenever i go to the store, the test kits are ALWAYS sold out. i did a 50% water change 30-40 mins ago and added prime. it is 5 gallons and only has the betta and it doesnt let me attach a picture, but if you look at my previous thread there is one. sorry abt the inconvenience.

Dunk2

To determine if your fish is sick from a water quality problem, I’d suggest you get the API Master Test kit.

If they’re not available to you locally, is Amazon an option?
Amazon.com

How often and how much water had you been changing before today?

Until you get a test kit, I’d continue with daily water changes.

ineedhelp2

i change my tank 50% every sunday.
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5 or 5 gal (not sure)
How long has the tank been running? since december 26 ,2021
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) one male betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every sunday, sometimes in the middle of the week and sunday.
How much of the water do you change? 40-50%
What do you use to treat your water? seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both but mostly just the water.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no.
What do you use to test the water? i do not have a test kit yet.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice.
How much do you feed your fish? 3-4 pellets.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? aqueon pellets
Do you feed frozen? no.
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? yes ocasionally blood worms.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? since december 26
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2-3 hours ago.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? my fish is not eating, is very lazy, and swims around but then falls to the bottom, rests and tries swimming up again.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? its being very lazy and not eating.

cdwag29

Pet stores will usually test your water for free. Just make sure to get the actual numbers from then rather than having them tell you your parameters are "perfect" and they send you off with a pat on the back. Tests strips are also another option if you can't get a liquid test.

Aqueon pellets are not a good staple food for betas. They contain many fillers and have little proteins. Over time they can cause damage internally, especially if they are not soaked prior to feeding. Bloodworms have the same effect.

Another possible option is your fish was poorly bred and is now suffering the consequences. A lot of betas are weak or unhealthy nowadays and die or get sick prematurely, even in perfect conditions.

killerv

That's a little excessive imo. Could be swim bladder disease.

Rose of Sharon

Until you are sure that your tank is fully cycled, I would do some small water changes every other day, like 25%. Clean water is the best medicine for a lot of issues.

Is he bloated? Do you see that his tummy or middle is swollen?

The falling to the bottom part sounds like a possible swim bladder issue. If that is the problem, then fasting him for 2 or 3 days and then feeding him some frozen daphnia two times a week will help with that problem. Daphnia acts like a natural laxative, is super high in protein, and is a great for bettas.

Also, a better pellet with high protein and low fillers would be really good. Omega One, North Fin, New Life Spectrum, or Fluval Bug Bites are just a few.

cdwag29

That's a little excessive imo. Could be swim bladder disease.
Aqueon pellets are very small. Adult betas should be averaging 6 pellets a day, preferably in several smaller feedings rather than one large one. If it were SBD, it would be caused by what OP is feeding rather than how much.

killerv

Well, I had a betta die from Aqueon pellets and swim bladder. Son overfed him.

FishDin

If you didn't cycle the tank and you haven't been testing the water, there is a good chance you fish has been being poisoned for months and now it's starting to show the effects. Even if your tank is fully cycled now your fish may have been hurt by the initial weeks of living in an uncycled tank.

I agree with Rose of Sharon

Rose of Sharon

It's hard to diagnose without a pic, but I understand having issues with technology. Bettas also like tannins, and that can help keep them healthy. If possible, I would add some Indian almond leaves (which will release tannins) to the tank for the extra health benefits. The tannins will provide some small antibacterial and antifungal protection.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rkeehn547
Replies
Views
Adam510
Replies
Views
Joshuageorgejoseph
Replies
Views