Betta Not Doing Well

1. s

ssbon18 New Member Member

Our Male betta is about 2.5 years old. I know hes getting there in age. We used to have him in a 2.5 gallon tank but the filter was always too strong for him to swim happily I felt so the water quality wasnt that great. 6 months ago I changed him into a 13 gallon aquarium and hes been very happy and with filters and keeping the parameters of the water checked, his water quality has drastically improved. I did get comunity fish (guppies and glow fish danios as well as a bristlenose pleco). He's been doing great since I introduced him in to the tank. Always happy other fish kept clear from him and in feeding time i made sure he always got fed well and was always the first one to go to the top and wait for food (sometimes would even get a bit aggresive if other fish got close during feeding).

All of a suden he has now stopped eating. He goes to the surface for air then lets himself sink (as if his tail was very heavy and goes down without swimming. Sometimes he lays on the gravel sideways or tail down and head up. Last night I got home and since he isnt moving I noticed one of the baby guppies was pecking at him and his fins are pretty beat up because he is so helpless. I did take him out ASAP as I dont want him to be eaten alive. He is in a small bowl with no filter but a little bit of water to make it easier for him to go up to breath.

The picture I'm uploading was him a day ago just laying helplessly on the plants in the community tank which he is no longer in temporarily.

Any idea what might be wrong ? He hasnt eaten in days and I want to help him with what I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Is pineconing of the scales happening?

3. OP
    OP
    s

No pineconing of the scales that I have noticed. But i'm not 100% sure.

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

He looks like he has some pretty significant fin rot actually. You could try some nitrofurazone and see if that helps. You can get it as Jungle Fungus Clear tabs from Walmart or API Furan-2.

On his abdomen near his anal fin is it fuzzy and white? I can't tell if it is on his body, or on the tank. If it is indeed a white fuzzy patch, it will need a different medication. It could be columnaris which needs to be treated with Kanamycin. The most popular brand is Seachem Kanaplex.

You can use both meds at the same time if you choose. If it was me I would start with the nitrofurazone first and see if it helps. Be sure to remove any carbon from your filter before adding meds. Carbon will absorb the meds and they won't work like they should.

You can also use Aquarium Salt. It is 1 tsp per gallon of water. You take a large cup of tank water. Dissolve the AQ salt in the water, then add it back to the tank slowly over a couple of hours. Be sure it is completely dissolved. It will not get filtered out, it is only removed through water changes. If you change the water you will need to replace the salt. If you change 1 gallon of water, add 1tsp of AQ salt to the replacement water and add back to the tank.

Hopefully this helps. Sorry he isn't doing very well.

5. OP
    OP
    s

He doesnt have any fuzzy or white might just be glare from the glass or plant when i took the picture. I went to the petstore and got the bettafix drops hopefully that helps his fins heal if he has fin rot. I know the guppies were pecking on him since he wasnt moving so I think they did more damage to his fins. He is currently separated in a bowl with no filtration for monitoring and until he heels. I will try the new medication out and keep an eye on him see if he improves.

Thanks for all the help.

6. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

His fins show some melt. In that condition it is hard for them to swim. (Veil tail correct?) The bettafix isn't going to help that. Nutrafurazone would be the best medication aside from frequent water changes that I am sure you are doing in his present tank. (Aquarium salt may also help.)

7. OP
    OP
    s

I used the bettafix for 2 days while I got the API Furan-2 in the mail. My betta did not seem to improve at all with the bettafix and I have found more bits of his fins on the bottom of the bowl and when i took the pieces out to not contaminate the water more the blue color of the fin was melting away. He is also still not eating probably 5 or so days without eating now.

I got the furan-2 this morning. I completely changed his water with the furan-2 medication and put blue (My betta) in and he seemed to freak out for a good minute or so and kept trying to grasp for air at the top . Then Finally went down and settled on the floor of the bowl laying sideways and breathing what i think a little heavier than usual.

Is this normal for him to react that way ? He isn't doing well at all and I feel really bad for him. I came to work but put him in with the furan-2 before leaving to hopefully get him some help the sooner the better.

8. KimberlyG

Not normal for a betta that is just experiencing fin rot. Let us know how he is and what you see going on when you get home.

9. OP
    OP
    s

Blue is still not eating and just laying on the bottom of the temporary bowl he is in. I added another round of the furan-2 in his tank this morning. And tossed in 1 food pellet with no interest from him at all to eat it. I got some more pictures of him this morning if they help. The round red thing at the bottom by his back side on the floor is a food pellet that sank down.

Attached Files:

10. KimberlyG

Oh poor guy. They only thing I can think to do is add kanamycin to his nurtafurazone treatment, but I don't know if he is strong enough for that. Is his bowl being floated in the tank for heat? Is there normally an air line in the container?

11. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

In that bottom picture it looks like he has velvet. @KimberlyG do you see that?

12. KimberlyG

I see what you are talking about Allie. Yes it could be.
    ssbon18, did you see him flashing or scratching off anything in the aquarium? Decorations, rocks?

13. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

How often are you changing the water in his bowl? What is the temperature, and what temperature did you keep the community tank at? Have you tested your parameters in the main tank and at all in the bowl?
    When you put the meds in and he freaked out, was the water the same temp as his old water? Any other parameters that would have been much different?

14. OP
    OP
    s

Yes, the temp was the same as his current tank. Currently its is not heated but it is in the room temp range (Mid 70s) and stays pretty constant. No filtration or anything in the current tank. In his old tank temp was normally in the mid to high 70s and i had an internal filter. I havent noticed him rubbing on anything but he does not move only to go up and breath. The last few days before I took him out of the main tank he had been hidding in the plastic plants in between them but not rubbing that i noticed. Right now Im changing 100 % of the water because of the medication daily or every other day. It has been a good 5-6 days he has not eaten though which is very concerning. I throw in 1 pellet of food in morning and 1 in afternoon in hopes he eats and still nothing.

15. KimberlyG

Velvet is accompanied by flashing. They are trying to remove the parasites by scratching against something. If you watch your betta, you would have seen it. The only reason I though it was a viable cause is due to the original picture. Velvet shows up most promaniently on the gills at first. I see something on his gills in that picture. (Again, with pictures it can be very misleading.) The last set of 3 pictures, it looks like something has eaten away at the gill I can see.
    Poor boy :(

16. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

My first suggestion is to get the temp up, close to 80 if possible, and keep it constant. With no filtration continue the frequent water changes.

17. OP
    OP
    s

Have done 2 days of furan-2 and just added 75% new water. However I dont think he will make it. He is on the ground moving more heavily and barely moving ar all. He actually looks dead unless inreally pay attention n he is still breathing. Is there a humane way to eurhanize him or should i give him a chance? I feel really bad right now for him as we were really attached to him. Heres a picture of him now laying helplessly. He hasnt eaten either so i can imagine how weak he is.

18. OP
    OP
    s

Here are pics:

Attached Files:

19. KimberlyG

Gosh, poor boy. Yes, you can really see how beat up he is in those pictures.
    I'm sorry. He doesn't look good.

20. Polyrhythm

Polyrhythm Valued Member Member

The most humane way to euthanize is with clove oil, I believe it can be found in health stores (or any large department store like Walmart should have it)