Betta not doing well Help

1. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Today is my WC day and when I went to go net out my male betta from his tank I realized he had a case of fin rot. It also turns out he hasn't been eating and is very skinny. I found a 5 gallon fluvial chi tank in my garage, cleaned it out and acclimated him to it and added TSS. I know I should have waited for it to cycle but he was only in a 1 gallon tank. I will try to upload pictures from my laptop.

2. TJBender Well Known Member Member

How'd you clean it out? No soap, right? Did you move his existing filter over, or at least bring some plants/decor, etc., to help the BB colony get started?

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

No soap,he didn't have a filter, and I moved over his betta leaf and the fake plant. I moved him over today after I realized he had fin rot and wasn't eating, so he hasn't been in there long.

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

He still isn't eating what should I do? I don't want to leave the uneaten food in there so he can't pick it up off the bottom.

5. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Fish can go up to two weeks without eating. Don't panic.

It's possible that he's constipated. You could try thawing a pea to room temperature, removing the skin, then cutting it into four pieces and feeding him one piece. It's also entirely possible that he's stressed out, and that's the reason he's not eating.

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Ok thanks TJBender! I will thaw out a pea then!

7. kittykat0725 Member Member

One gallon is too small for a betta, in that size a tank it is just a given that fish will get sick, keep him in the new tank, maybe research Melafix, I heard it helps with fin rot.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah He is being permanently moved. Melafix and Bettafix are bad for labyrinth fish because it damages their labyrinth organ so they may suffocate.

9. mg13 Well Known Member Member

some Bettas just don't eat when they are sick or under stress. How long have you had him, and are you SURE that he's not eating? My betta didn't "eat" for about two months after I got him, but the food was always gone in the morning so I knew he was eating.

I wouldn't worry, maybe leave the food over night and see if it's still there in the morning? You can fish it out then, and the bigger tank will really help with the fin rot, I don't doubt that the one gallon is why he got it. I am also battling fin rot with my rescue Blue Gem, and and he was in horrible conditions.

here's a link to that thread, not much info on finrot but there is pictures on what kind of conditions he was in. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/174740-my-rescue-blue-gem.html

I am mentioning poeticinjustices so she can give you some info on fin rot, that's where I'm getting all my info.

Man, bursting with hope for you, I'm so gonna keep up with this thread!

Don't worry, Bettas are hardy.

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I got him near the end of may. When I got him he had really bad ich which is all cleared up. He was kind of an impulse buy… he looked so sad in his little cup. when I did his water change I found a bunch of food under his gravel, he doesn't have any gravel at the moment for just that reason.
    [​IMG]before in the 1 gal

[​IMG]now in the 5

The little parts that "stick out" are starting to get smaller.
    [​IMG]here is his tank.

11. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He only ate 1 pellet last night, and he is twitching every once in a while:(

12. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there. Sorry for your trouble :(

Can I just say quickly from those photos the difference in body language between the 1g and the 5g is tremendous.

Fin rot is typically an opportunistic infection. Poor water quality, stressed fish, etc. are often the onset. The good news is that the opposite is also the cure MOST of the time.

I wouldn't use the TSS right now. It requires 14 days with no water change and you may see some spikes. You are better off using water changes and Prime daily until he is healed because clean water is absolutely vital to the treatment of fin rot especially.

There are some natural ways to get him eating. Garlic is a natural "antibiotic" of sorts. It purifies as well as stimulates appetite. Garlic Guard is a garlic extra product but you can also crush fresh garlic and soak his food in it. Vitachem added to the food and/or the water column will ensure that he is getting essential vitamins even if he isn't eating much.

There are additives you can treat his water with (in addition to Prime) to reduce stress, boost his slime coat (the heart of his immune system) and strengthen his fins and scales. I like Fish Protector by Kordon. Others use Stress Coat+.

Indian Almond Leaves contain natural antibacterial and antifungal properties as well as leech tannins in the water which help soften it to the preference of a betta.

I think it will take time but you will see a lot of improvement just by moving him to a filtered (as he is not only a betta but a weak betta, please make sure the current is well stymied) and heated 5g. Some plants and things for him to rest on as he gathers his strength are good. Maybe try crushing up his pellets to help him eat?

Fin rot is a long ordeal. Be patient and diligent and I am sure you will see him on to better days.

Good luck!

13. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks poeticinjustices I will definitely try the garlic and start doing water changes. I will go and get plants tomorrow. what kind do you recommend? I will also get either stress coat+ or fish protector. How often should I do water changes?

14. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

He ate! I think the reason he is not eating is because the pellets are too big for him. I gave him a variety of food tonight to see what he likes.

large pellets soaked in garlic- he tried eating them but kept spitting it out because it was too big

Squished and shelled peas- he thought they were yummy and ate some.

Ground up pellets- he thought these were yummy too:)

I didn't feed him too much of anything. 1/8 of a pea, 2 garlic soaked pellets, and 1 crushed up pellet. He didn't eat much. His fin rot is getting worse:(

15. FiscCyning Member Member

If you soak the pellets they are easy to cut in half for a more palatable size. I do that for my tiny betta who can't manage a whole pellet and he gobbles them right up.

You should be doing water changes at least daily to help his fins heal. Especially in an uncycled tank, I would recommend 50% daily changes at a minimum.

16. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

That's what I figured. I never thought of cutting the pellets in half, I will have to try that tomorrow:)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

17. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I crush my pellets under the lid of their container if they're too big... though this is why I rarely feed pellets anymore. Except to my mouthbrooding bettas who have huge mouths for their size lol.

18. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks! What do you feed the other bettas? I want to start giving my bettas some variety but don't know what to give them.

19. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I am getting him a live plant tomorrow any ideas on what he can rest on?

20. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Wisteria or water sprite do really well in Betta tanks. I have them in my betta tank and he loves swimming through them and resting on them