Betta Nipping His Own Tail

Amy Haas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SAD to watch. My beautiful male Betta bites and rips his own tail. I bought him with ripped fins, knowing I could mend him with excellent care and a 10 gallon tank. But it appears to be a ritual. see pics Now what? I rearranged his decor, made many enrichment areas. He has 2 nerite snails he ignores. Water is perfect. What shall I do? Nothing?

Attachments

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe that sometimes they nip the fins because it is hard to swim. He could probably be biting from stress. Maybe even boredom, there are various reasons. Perhaps start with putting more things in his tank to give him more stimulation. It its current state, it seems a bit bare. Maybe having more places to explore will help.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are several reasons as to why they do it such as relieving weight off himself, boredom, stress, or genetics.

When they start to tail bite you want to keep them distracted from doing it such as introducing new decorations to examine, give him some time to flare or introduce some shrimps for him to be stimulated with. You want to try and keep him distracted from doing it.

Keep the water clean to prevent any infections and his fins should heal up. Indian Almond Leaves and Stressguard are optional additives for their therapeutic and antiseptic purposes which promotes the healing process.

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t really know if my advice will be helpful because you are doing everything I would except I wouldn’t put in nerite snails because I’d be afraid he would hurt them but your betta seems more concerned with hurting himself.

Perhaps increase his feeding? But if you are already on a steady schedule then don’t.
Maybe the conditions he was in before he got to you made him used to using himself as a food source? That sounds crazy but it makes sense from an ecosystem standpoint.
He could be wanting protein but if you know about enrichment areas I’m assuming you’ve done your homework on betta diets.

My advice is based off being someone who has 10 Bettas in my household( my fiancé really really likes them and tried a sorority but they all “graduated” to their own personal 5 gallon and up tanks)

Keep doing what your doing and once he realizes his dietary needs are being met he will stop eating himself. And then watch your nerite snailsXD

Here’s a link that I found that may help you, I had never heard of this until your post so i did a little google search since I have so many Bettas so maybe you’ve already found this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nippyfish.net/behavior-2/tail-biting/amp/

Amy Haas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are several reasons as to why they do it such as relieving weight off himself, boredom, stress, or genetics.

When they start to tail bite you want to keep them distracted from doing it such as introducing new decorations to examine, give him some time to flare or introduce some shrimps for him to be stimulated with. You want to try and keep him distracted from doing it.

Keep the water clean to prevent any infections and his fins should heal up. Indian Almond Leaves and Stressguard are optional additives for their therapeutic and antiseptic purposes which promotes the healing process.
Thanks, will do asap.

Amy Haas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe that sometimes they nip the fins because it is hard to swim. He could probably be biting from stress. Maybe even boredom, there are various reasons. Perhaps start with putting more things in his tank to give him more stimulation. It its current state, it seems a bit bare. Maybe having more places to explore will help.
Will do asap. Brings me tears.

Amy Haas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t really know if my advice will be helpful because you are doing everything I would except I wouldn’t put in nerite snails because I’d be afraid he would hurt them but your betta seems more concerned with hurting himself.

Perhaps increase his feeding? But if you are already on a steady schedule then don’t.
Maybe the conditions he was in before he got to you made him used to using himself as a food source? That sounds crazy but it makes sense from an ecosystem standpoint.
He could be wanting protein but if you know about enrichment areas I’m assuming you’ve done your homework on betta diets.

My advice is based off being someone who has 10 Bettas in my household( my fiancé really really likes them and tried a sorority but they all “graduated” to their own personal 5 gallon and up tanks)

Keep doing what your doing and once he realizes his dietary needs are being met he will stop eating himself. And then watch your nerite snailsXD

Here’s a link that I found that may help you, I had never heard of this until your post so i did a little google search since I have so many Bettas so maybe you’ve already found this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nippyfish.net/behavior-2/tail-biting/amp/
thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom