Help Betta Newbie....and Marbled Betta

Neoqueenhonybee

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time on any betta forum and my first post here, and I'm also a newbie betta owner. So I was scouring ebay for the perfect betta for a new tank and I found it, or so I thought. I bought a marbled betta not knowing that it changes colors and when I received it in the mail today I was in complete shock because I thought I was scammed (listing one betta, getting another). After contacting the seller I decided to reach out to someone who might be an expert on marbled betta fish.

The seller has kindly offered a refund on the fish (must ship out tomorrow), since I bought it thinking it was purple and red, but now he's just red. However, I'm reading it could turn back to its before color? I'm not sure what to do, really. I feel badly for the betta, and if there is a real chance he'll change back...then I would want to keep him.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marbles don’t usually change back to their original color. He was likely in the middle of his color change when the pictures were taken. Likely to continue changing color as he ages too. Keep in mind he is also stressed so his coloration in the bag won’t be his normal.

Neoqueenhonybee

Reaction score
Demeter, thank you for your response. So it's really truly a random occurrence? That is crazy and amazing...I just wish I had understood that going into this purchase. N00b mistake, but I also don't want the betta to suffer needlessly. It's not his fault he's random. Maybe I'll keep him and when he dies of old age I'll search for the coloration I had originally intended. He's just no Astal....

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marbling is indeed random and give crazy results. I’ve raised bettas that were solid blue as juveniles then turned completely white. It’s really a fun gene to play with in bettas

Manan

Valued Member
Reaction score
From the picture he doesn't look that much different... It's hard to tell from a bag of cloudy water. He is stressed out so his colors are faded. Put him in a tank and let him color up to see how different he really is

Neoqueenhonybee

Reaction score
Manan: I put him in a observational tank for now so we'll see how he acclimates. I have no idea what to expect from this color changing fish. He isn't that different, now that he's out of the gross water, but the purple on his body was the only reason I purchased him over four other bettas. Oh well, a $40 lesson that I will never forget...marbled equals random colors.

Manan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Don't be too disappointed, he might develop new colors that are even nicer! I think there was a thread somewhere where people posted their marble transformations. Some really beautiful surprises. You'll have to show us his progression if you keep him!

For example:
main-qimg-094139a6b1c9af473f6fe78baa9b9912.png

Neoqueenhonybee

Reaction score
Manan, thank you for the encouragement. I can't even believe that is the same fish!!! Wow crazy. I'll have to take pictures like this to see where he goes. It's like it's changing clothes ha ha ha. I just have to move passed the anger/disappointment of expectation vs reality. I haven't had very good betta luck at all of late.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aw, he’s beautiful. Poor thing to have to go through the mail, he’s a sentient being! How do they even mail a fish? Seems so weird to me. I’m sure you could find someone local to take him if you don’t want him...he may likely die if he goes back in the mail. Bettas are hardy but even they can only take so much.

I hope for your sake his colors develop better once he has had time to recover, and I hope for his sake that you keep him.

Manan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Aw, he’s beautiful. Poor thing to have to go through the mail, he’s a sentient being! How do they even mail a fish? Seems so weird to me. I’m sure you could find someone local to take him if you don’t want him...he may likely die if he goes back in the mail. Bettas are hardy but even they can only take so much.

I hope for your sake his colors develop better once he has had time to recover, and I hope for his sake that you keep him.
Pretty much all fish are mailed at some point to arrive at their selling destination. I'm sure it's quite stressful yes, but most fish go through it at some point...!

His fins look really nice, he looks pretty healthy I would say!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's stunning . Sending him back would absolutely stess him out wayyyy to much you wouldn't want to do that to him. He is going to have some amazing color changes throughout his life for sure. I think you picked a beauty!! Best of luck with him! Post a full tank pic when your able to

Neoqueenhonybee

Reaction score
He is very happy in his new tank and he's already making bubble nests. Well trying; tank isn't really set up for that!

Thanks everyone for quick answers to help me on my betta journey.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That’s great to hear! Do you have any photos to share? Have his colors changed at all?

Neoqueenhonybee

Reaction score
That’s great to hear! Do you have any photos to share? Have his colors changed at all?
No color change as of yet! I'm actually building him a different tank to better show off his colors. This tank was actually built for a koi betta I didn't with the auction of. It was already prepped so decided he should stay here while his new new tank is settling.

Unfortunately I think this tank has now been infested with snail eggs!!!! O.O

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 66.7%

Top Bottom