Betta Never Sleeps

Aquaphobia

I have a betta in a 5 gallon tank. The light's only on for a few hours a day but the hall light is visible to him. My boyfriend worries about him because he's an insomniac and he swears that every time he looks at the tank in the night that fish is swimming around. I think he must rest at some point but the boyfriend's still worried.

I'm moving this betta to a longer, lowr 5.5 gallon standard tank with nicer decor and farther from the hall light so I'm hoping that will let him, and my bf, rest.

Any suggestions?

JamieXPXP

he is probably sleeping but you don't see it when he does

Fashooga

Hard to tell when they’re sleeping. They’re eyes are always open!!!

Sleeping fish usually look like they’re idle but their fin is still moving.

OnTheFly

How do you know he isn't sleeping when you are sleeping?

Aquaphobia

I'm just going by what my bf says! He swears that fish is always flying around the tank, playing in the filter bubbles and nosing around the toys and plants. He's the insomniac not me

JamieXPXP

haha I wouldnt worry about it, it can be hard to tell when they are sleeping since they don't close their eyes but he does sleep because he wouldnt be so energetic if he wasn't lol

Fanatic

Fish don't have eyelids, so they are unable to be determined if they are truly sleeping or not.

OnTheFly

Fish don't have eyelids, so they are unable to be determined if they are truly sleeping or not.

I beg to differ.

BobNJerry

my one betta was like that - never stopped.. swimming swimming and swimming.

I added more plants with broad leaves-- and now .. he hangs on the leaves .. and seems much more relaxed.

emma

Many of my betta's have learned the sounds of my home & know when I'm approaching their tanks. They're either already in full form showing off, playing, or begging for food.
I've noticed my quieter arrivals is when I catch them sleeping or resting or coming out of their favorite hideout.

FishNinja

I cover my tank at night so the room light does not disturb him

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lauraaac
  • Question
Replies
Views
olevine75
  • Question
Replies