Betta needs new home? Bakersfield, CA.

jesslovesfatdogs

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a new betta fish the day after putting down my old sick betta. It was so hard euthanizing my beautiful baby boy nebula. I was very heartbroken and I thought getting a new fish would help. I love my new boy with all my heart. His name is Lucifer and he’s a half moon. School just started so much and I have math and science classes so I am very occupied. I just got a job so now I’ll be even busier. Going from never having a job and doing a few classes online to having a full time job and two demanding classes is a lot. I also have 4 dogs and a cat. I just can’t do it all. My tank has a brown algae problem and it’s been that way for over a month. I got some live plants and these tiny grass ones I bought started dying and nitrates spiked and everything got out of wack. I clean his tank more than once a week bc of all the brown algae. It’s just a lot. I love him so so so much but I know it would be better for him to go somewhere else. I’m going to be super tired and my mental health gets bad sometimes and I’m not going to want to clean the tank and he doesn’t deserve that. I didn’t want to post this on offer up or some selling website bc I would never be able to live with myself not knowing if my baby is in the hands of someone who doesn’t even care about fish. I didn’t know where else to go. I could surrender him to a local fish shop maybe, I don’t know if they’d even take him. I was wondering if anyone lives around me, has an extra tank, and would be willing to take him in? He’s a very timid fish. He gets scared easily, poor baby. He doesn’t like pellets but loves flakes and bloodworms. I love him so much and I just want him to have an owner who can spend time with him, care for, and appreciate him properly.

Attachments

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful fish!
jesslovesfatdogs said:
It was so hard euthanizing my beautiful baby boy nebula.
What happened?? how did u put him down?

I'm far away from u or I would take him in.

nobettasinbowls

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is gorgeous!!

Post him on the selling forum section here (and any other fish forums you are a member on) with local pick up only (assuming you do not want to ship). I honestly have had good luck finding good homes through craigslist and freecycle though. I just screen people by asking them a lot of questions (what is your past experience, what are your current setups-ideally with pic, why did your last fish die, do you know about the nitrogen cycle, how often do you do water changes and how, what do you feed, what setup would he go in, do you test your water, how often, etc) in the post, so that only people who are willing to spend time answer questions via email and are knowledgeable about fish can adopt. I will scour craigslist looking for bettas when I am trying to find one, I know there are others out there who look on CL for fish to adopt.

If I still lived in CalI I would take him!

OP
J

jesslovesfatdogs

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Beautiful fish!

What happened?? how did u put him down?

I'm far away from u or I would take him in.
Clove oil. I rescued him he was very sick and in poor condition. His previous owners neglected him terribly. He has the most terrible fin rot. His fins grew back a bit but he still had something going on. I thought it was swim bladder but I tried everything for months and he was just getting worse. I felt bad and didn’t want him to suffer. I miss him so much he was so cute and funny. He’d make me laugh all the time.

nobettasinbowls said:
He is gorgeous!!

Post him on the selling forum section here (and any other fish forums you are a member on) with local pick up only (assuming you do not want to ship). I honestly have had good luck finding good homes through craigslist and freecycle though. I just screen people by asking them a lot of questions (what is your past experience, what are your current setups-ideally with pic, why did your last fish die, do you know about the nitrogen cycle, how often do you do water changes and how, what do you feed, what setup would he go in, do you test your water, how often, etc) in the post, so that only people who are willing to spend time answer questions via email and are knowledgeable about fish can adopt. I will scour craigslist looking for bettas when I am trying to find one, I know there are others out there who look on CL for fish to adopt.

If I still lived in CalI I would take him!
Thank you! This is the only fish forum I know about so that’s why I came here. I can try craigslist. There’s a lot of weirdos there so I was scared of doing that. People can lie and I mean I don’t think someone is going to purposely look for fish to abuse lol but my brain just thinks the worst. Thank you for all of your suggestions!!

nobettasinbowls

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jesslovesfatdogs said:
Thank you! This is the only fish forum I know about so that’s why I came here. I can try craigslist. There’s a lot of weirdos there so I was scared of doing that. People can lie and I mean I don’t think someone is going to purposely look for fish to abuse lol but my brain just thinks the worst. Thank you for all of your suggestions!!
Another forum that has a buy/sell/trade section is betta fish.

Oh my gosh, I think the worst of people too. But the way I see it, only someone with experience knows how to lie well enough. Like, someone who has ZERO clue about the nitrogen cycle, what fish they have/have had, doesn't vary diet, use heaters, etc. would have to research in order to lie about it, and that is too much work for someone who does not care.

There are a lot of weirdos, make sure you meet up in a safe place or have a friend go with (my boyfriend always comes with me). I haven't had any weird people contact me through the community pet section, free, or for sale section message bother me. On the contrary, I have met some awesome people who I would love to be friends with! Lol.

Having a fairly long and detailed post, with lots of great pictures, naturally just weeds people out and generates interest from the good ones. I also usually post about how if you are the perfect home, I'll give you everything for free or very cheap, just want the fish go to a good home. Works out well.

Avoid the generic "I rescue all and any fish, I have large tanks for all fish!" wanted fish posts if you see them, or use caution. Often times, the person means well, but doesn't have ideal setups for fish (at least, in my experience). I searched your local CL and didn't see any though.

If it is your first time posting/using CL and you need some help, let me know!

Freecycle

(rehomed guinea pigs, 20+ fish, rats to homes better than myself before my cross country move through here!)

OP
J

jesslovesfatdogs

Reaction score
nobettasinbowls said:
Another forum that has a buy/sell/trade section is betta fish.

Oh my gosh, I think the worst of people too. But the way I see it, only someone with experience knows how to lie well enough. Like, someone who has ZERO clue about the nitrogen cycle, what fish they have/have had, doesn't vary diet, use heaters, etc. would have to research in order to lie about it, and that is too much work for someone who does not care.

There are a lot of weirdos, make sure you meet up in a safe place or have a friend go with (my boyfriend always comes with me). I haven't had any weird people contact me through the community pet section, free, or for sale section message bother me. On the contrary, I have met some awesome people who I would love to be friends with! Lol.

Having a fairly long and detailed post, with lots of great pictures, naturally just weeds people out and generates interest from the good ones. I also usually post about how if you are the perfect home, I'll give you everything for free or very cheap, just want the fish go to a good home. Works out well.

Avoid the generic "I rescue all and any fish, I have large tanks for all fish!" wanted fish posts if you see them, or use caution. Often times, the person means well, but doesn't have ideal setups for fish (at least, in my experience). I searched your local CL and didn't see any though.

If it is your first time posting/using CL and you need some help, let me know!

Freecycle

(rehomed guinea pigs, 20+ fish, rats to homes better than myself before my cross country move through here!)
you’re so informative and helpful thank you so much. I don’t think I’m going to give my boy away. Too much anxiety over it and I love him too much to just send him off. I know he probably won’t know but I don’t want him to think I abandoned him. I’ve been struggling with this brown algae for over a month. People say quick fixes are bad and to just keep doing water changes but that isn’t working. Since I just got a new job I’m gonna save up and upgrade him to a 20 gallon I think. He’ll have to deal with the brown algae till I buy the tank and it cycles lol. He’s a beautiful boy and deserves the best. Thank you for all your help it means so much to me.

New Threads