Betta needs help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by coyotes_princess, Dec 18, 2012.

1. c

coyotes_princess Valued Member Member

I have a 10 gallon divided tank with two male bettas. One is perfectly fine, one is sick. The tank is going through a mini cycle I believe. Readings are ammonia .5, nitrites 0, nitrates 10.
    Guava, the sick fish, has not been able to eat his food in the last week or so. He grabs at the pellets but can't seem to catch them. He has to try really hard to get bloodworms or shrimp (freezedried) but does manage. He can get flakes somewhat easier.
    I did a water change yesterday, about 75%. He seemed ok until this morning when I went in to feed them and he did not attempt to eat. He was just slowly spinning in circles. I went to work for the day and checked when I got home. He is still just spinning slowly. I don't see any visible signs of illness other than the fact that he can't seem to open his mouth for food. There are no patches of white anywhere, I can't see any red on him that is noticeable.
    He was a pretty happy fish as far as I could tell, he liked building bubble nests.
    Just wondering if there is anything I can do for him on top of water changes and using Prime. I have some maracyn and maracyn two but I don't want to use it blindly. Any suggestions?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

First off I would sort out the ammonia because that could be the cause of everything. I would recommend doing daily pwcs of 30% dosing with enough prime for the whole tank volume. Continue this until no more ammonia is present. You will have to wait 24 hrs after the use of prime to get reliable test results.

Just to make sure you know, freezedried foods need to be soaked thoroughly before feeding or they can cause impactions.

3. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Is he sort of chasing his tail? I remember Jaysee saying that that's a sign of internal parasites.

4. OP
    OP
    c

I've just done another pwc with enough prime for the whole tank. Hopefully that will at least help a little bit.
    I do know to soak the freezedried foods before feeding in a little bit of tank water, although my husband just told me that he didn't know about that and has just given that food dry. Should I try and give him some cut up pea to see if it helps?
    He is sort of chasing his tail, he is pretty much swimming in a C form. Should I try some maracyn or just continue with the water changes? I don't want to harm him or the other betta with meds that won't be helpful.

5. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

You can try the pea it won't hurt. Personally, I would sort out your ammonia issue and go from there. Imo, medicating while the tank is in this state could do more harm than good. You'd still have to do the daily pwcs to control the ammonia and you would be needed to replace the med which was taken out by the water change. Just my :;2cents

6. OP
    OP
    c

ok, thanks. I won't bother with the meds just yet and hopefully the water changes will help him get over whatever is bothering him. He is such a beautful fish and so full of personality. I don't want to lose him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice