Betta mouth protruding

cameil

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? ~4 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79-80 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Female plakat betta & nerite snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 15-20%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: ~7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? 3-4 pellets in the morning, 2-3 at night
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval bug bites
Do you feed frozen? Yes, frozen brine shrimp every few days.
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Mouth suddenly appears to be protruding
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Paraguard once a day for 5 days
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No behavior change, only mouth appearance change.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Hi! I posted about this same issue in the Betta forum, but I could use some more advice as her mouth hasn’t changed. About a week ago I noticed that my betta’s mouth suddenly appeared to be protruding. Following the advice of my lfs, I started dosing paraguard in her tank once a day. I removed my nerite snail of course, and have been keeping him in a spare 2.5 gallon tank (unfiltered so I’ve been doing daily water changes). I also upped water changes in my betta’s tank to every other day.

I’ve done hours of research but still can’t figure out what happened to her mouth. Any other threads I’ve found with this issue have no conclusion. I was thinking it could be columnaris or a mouth fungus, but I’m not seeing the other symptoms of those diseases. She’s still acting fine and eating.

Since her mouth hasn’t changed with the paraguard after 5 days, I have decided to stop dosing it. I put some activated carbon in the filter to make sure it’s all out before putting my nerite back in. I also plan to do a water change later today. I put almond leaves in her tank recently, so I’ll be adding more as the carbon will take the existing tannins out.

Is this the right thing to do? Other threads have suggested kanaplex if it is caused by columnaris, but I’m hesitant to use stronger meds without being positive I need them. I attached a few pictures of her - apologies for the poor quality. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know! I really love my betta and I don’t know what else to do.

34A31C51-9C34-4BA7-8A99-99BDDABE9570.jpeg
A7CC5265-4B67-4156-8AE8-0B4063D923F0.jpeg
0B364E6C-2D8D-4321-B9CE-0BC7DDBE9A3D.jpeg

BestFishTankGuy

I just made a post I have 3 bettas with columnaris right now, they all have protruding mouths. It started as a mouth fungus on one of them but now it just has a protruded mouth and the fungus went away, very likely columnaris.

Upvote 0

cameil

Oh no - thanks for letting me know. If you don’t mind, what other symptoms did you notice in your Bettas? Hope all your fish recover soon!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
iamaskim
Replies
Views
NickyFlash
Replies
Views
SarahPar
Replies