Help Betta Mouth is protruding and looks scabby

RUADJAI

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta's bottom lip is funky. Ive googled everything and I can't seem to find anything similar to what it looks like. It's not cottony, or white... but is bumpy and recently looks scabby? or dry? His bottom lip protrudes further out than most bettas, and doesn't have a normal lower lip shape. There is also black marks on it and he's been eating less too. Has anyone seen or had this on their fish before? Any help would be great.

A few days ago I tested my GH because Spritz seemed "off" and way lying on the bottom of the tank quite a bit, and it was at 21 drops!!!! Since then Ive been doing water changes daily and gravel vacuuming to try and get everything neat and tidy. I don't know if these 30 pond snails are causing the GH to spike, but it's the only thing I can think of. Since starting water changes its down to 11 drops as of today, which is still high. Spritz has perked up since the water changes started.

PH 6.5 (My tap is 7.0)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

GH 200 (My tap water is 50)

img_0660-jpeg.jpg

img_0597-jpeg.jpg

img_0456-jpeg.jpg

Side View

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 7 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80*
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 Betta, 1 Mystery Snail, and about 30 pond snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? At least once a week.
How much of the water do you change? 30-40%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate... it is THICK though. I didn't know when I set it up. So its a good 2 inches.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I did a fish in cycle.
What do you use to test the water? API Master Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 6.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Usually twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? A few pieces of Brine Shrimp or Blood worms.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Not sure the brand, got it at Petco in a styrofoam box.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? frozen.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 7 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few months
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Bulbous bottom lip that seems scabbed
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not really. Im doing a thorough cleaning of the aquarium gravel, changing water daily, and sometimes adding Stressguard.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I know of.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Last week he was pretty lethargic. He's since perked back up a bit. He is eating a lot less though recently.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

See above please***

Finlikesfish

Reaction score
I’m unsure of the problem, but I really hope that this thread gets seen by someone who can help you. Best wishes to you and your fish.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a very similar thing happen to my own betta's lip. I still have no idea what caused it unfortunately but my assumption at the time was that he somehow had injured it. I treated it the way I treat any wound and it has since gone away.

The way I treat injuries is by increasing water changes and treating for any fungal or bacterial issues. I also do aquarium salt baths once a day for 4-5 days. You don't have to do that but I find it helps. If you choose to do that to your own betta make sure that if he shows signs of stress you return him to his tank and don't do more.

Also make sure anything you decide to use is safe for snails

OP
RUADJAI

RUADJAI

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I treated with Paraguard and he did a quick 180. I also got a separate container for my 50 pond snails. I have some meds coming that Were recommended by ACoop, I’m gonna give him these meds in their recommended dosage for new fish just to make sure he didn’t have something underlying.

The Paraguard Also didn’t seem to affect my Mystery Snail at all this time. I’m just rambling in case this ever happens to someone else And they need info.

New Threads