Betta Moss Ball Question

1. Chillin

Chillin Initiate Member

recently obtained some Betta moss balls (algae balls?)
    i have them split between 2 tanks,
    in the heated tank, a ball started to seem slightly dieing, and some white stuff is starting to forum on it
    should i remove the ball?
    i havent seen this yet in the unheated tank, tho iv read the balls do better in cool water with low light.
    any ideas?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

white stuff sounds like a fungus, but i don't know where you would of gotten that from. And yes, they do better in high oxygen, low light, coldwater. They are formed in rivers to give you an explanation. I would probably remove the marimo alge ball to the colder aquarium if i were you.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello :)
    Does this tank have a filter on it? Did you cycle it?
    I think it would be a growth fungus due to either unclean water, or it's dying.

4. OP
    OP
    Chillin

Chillin Initiate Member

yes the tank is cycled and every thing, the algae ball is just a new addition to the tank, been in for about a week.
    i did notice they bounce back after i remove them from the warmer water to unheated water..
    are ghost shrimps and blue lobster fond of the algae balls?

5. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

blue crayfish will mostl likely shredd the ball, the ghost shrimp will pick on it but won't harm it.

6. OP
    OP
    Chillin

Chillin Initiate Member

well i isolated the ball with the issues into its own container to try shake the stuff off a few days to see what happens before moving it in with the Blue lobster

7. Fanatic

Don't put a blue lobster with a betta.
    You can put ghost shrimp in with a betta, that'd be fine :)

Personally, I have had no issues with my moss balls. I would try rinsing it off in tank water and see if that helps.
    The fungus most likely isn't harmful.

8. OP
    OP
    Chillin

Chillin Initiate Member

nooo, no betta fish with him hah

9. Fanatic

Okay :)
    So you do have a filter, and it's cycled? Your profile says you do not know of the Nitrogen Cycle.

10. OP
    OP
    Chillin

Chillin Initiate Member

i do know a little about it, why id like to get plants in to the tank with the lobster, kinda why iv added ghost shrimp even tho he does the same things, i just i want it at a higher pace.
    recently his water was toxic to added feeder fish, and just got it cleaned up for them to stay alive so he has fresh food :)
    tho there is a film on the top of the water now he has eaten a fish...