Betta Missing Chunks From His Tail

Odin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi when i got home today and had a look at my dumbo halfmoon betta I noticed he was missing chunks from his tail, so I tested the water and the readings were ammonia-0 nitrites-0 nitrates-5. He currently lives in a 5 gallon planted tank alone and he has no hard decor to potentially damage his tail on so I have no idea what may have caused i
IMG_0336[1].JPG
IMG_0339[1].JPG
t. Any help would be greatly appreciated

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are you sure there’s nothing in the tank that he could’ve torn it on? Sometimes bettas are just clumsy and rip up their fins on things. Sometimes very unlikely things!

If not, it’s possible that he bit them. Longfin bettas are prone to fin biting.

Odin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi thx for replying there are no hard objects with sharp or rough edges he could of torn it on, if he did bite bits out himself what would cause this?

Odin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would that be caused by his reflection?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some bettas are tail biters. As said above could be stress or he feels the aquarium is too small. Or you could just have a neurotic fish. It does happen.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sometimes bettas figure out that they can swim faster if they bite chunks out of their tail, so they continue to do it. But it doesn’t seem like fin rot, because your parameters all seem fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom