Question Betta & Minnows

Mountain minnows will be fine with the temp

• Yeah most likely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RCALEY32

Reaction score
Hi all, so I'm setting up a new tank for an amazing looking betta I reserved on impulse (no regrets ) the tank he is in at the shop is filled with mountain minnows and he seems to unfazed which is brilliant. Therefore I wanted to take some minnows too. However after doing a bit of research it seems that these minnows are not keen on the higher water temp betta's enjoy. Any thoughts too this? Or am I reading into it too much?

Thanks in advance !

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
WCMM are a cold water fish, they can withstand very low temperatures below tropical fish species, making them incompatible with bettas, as they require much cooler water than a betta would like.

If you put the betta at a preferred temperature of the minnows, the betta would be lethargic and extremely vulnerable for disease and other issues.
If you put the minnows at the betta temperature, they would have an extremely sped up metabolism, causing them to be a lot more active, or they may have issues as well, which can quickly shorten their life or even kill them.

Never greatly alter the temperature of any fish to accommodate another, just because they have a range of preferred temperature doesn't mean you should house them at the absolute lowest or absolute highest that they can stand.

RCALEY32

Reaction score
This was my thought yeah, I want both fish to be comfortable and happy not just surviving, thanks for the feedback, I wonder why they are together in the shop, seems rather odd for a professional shop.
Thanks again!

Also is there any similar sized tank mates you could suggest for a betta?

Last edited by a moderator:

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can have 6-8 in the 10 gallon with a betta. Add the betta last though.

RCALEY32

Reaction score
So just betta in 5? And I've always just had a single betta, so sorry I not that knowledgable, what is the reason behind adding the betta last?

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So the betta is less likely to be aggressive to the tetras and not establish a territory first.

Last edited:

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes just a betta in a 5 gallon with possibly a few snails and shrimp but no other fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom