Help Betta May Be Sick But Water Is Good... Red Fins? Help?

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello, all. In short, I did a water test a half hour ago and everything looks good. Ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm. Nitrate is 10ppm, which it's been for weeks. I change about 25% of the water every week.
Today I noticed Momoa (betta) hanging out on the bottom of the tank, which is unusual, and I saw some red coloration in his bottom fins which I've never seen before. He didn't want to eat today and he's usually quite hungry. I have no idea what this could be, after checking out the betta disease section. Any ideas? Attaching some photos.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We got him this past winter, not sure the exact date. He is now closer to the top of the tank, at least, not at the bottom. Can fish bleed? We aren't sure why his fins are red.

Madison Lawson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Je55*e said:
We got him this past winter, not sure the exact date. He is now closer to the top of the tank, at least, not at the bottom. Can fish bleed? We aren't sure why his fins are red.
Fish can bleed but not in their fins, do you have better pictures and is there signs of black on his fins? Is your tank cycled and what are the water parameters? It may very well be fin rot...

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Madison Lawson said:
Fish can bleed but not in their fins, do you have better pictures and is there signs of black on his fins? Is your tank cycled and what are the water parameters? It may very well be fin rot...
He’s been in the tank for months and the water has been good. See above in my original post. No black in fins. This morning he’s on his betta leaf near the top of the tank, tilted a bit to one side. He didn’t eat. I wish I knew what was wrong.

Madison Lawson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Je55*e said:
He’s been in the tank for months and the water has been good. See above in my original post. No black in fins. This morning he’s on his betta leaf near the top of the tank, tilted a bit to one side. He didn’t eat. I wish I knew what was wrong.
I would recommend starting to treat for fin rot, and adding aquarium salt for the next few water changes to see if that helps any.

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Madison Lawson said:
I would recommend starting to treat for fin rot, and adding aquarium salt for the next few water changes to see if that helps any.
Doesn’t fin rot come from poor water conditions? Would it hurt to treat him for that if he doesn’t have it? Would you mind letting me know how much aquarium salt for a 2 gallon tank, and what to use to treat for fin rot?
Thanks so much for your help.

Madison Lawson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fin rot sometimes just happens and some fish are more prone to it than others. It is sometimes caused by stress. It shouldn't hurt to treat him and aquarium salt is beneficial as a stress reducer and all around medicator as well. I would recommend starting with half a teaspoon per water change.

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Madison Lawson said:
Fin rot sometimes just happens and some fish are more prone to it than others. It is sometimes caused by stress. It shouldn't hurt to treat him and aquarium salt is beneficial as a stress reducer and all around medicator as well. I would recommend starting with half a teaspoon per water change.
Ok, I’ll try that. Thank you so much for your help.

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Je55*e said:
I have Instant Ocean brand sea salt. Do you think that’s ok to use?
Instant ocean has additives for a marine tank. I would use either aquarium salt (in the fish medication are) or pure NaCl (which is what aquarium salt is).

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Now he seems to be having more trouble breathing, he’s lying on the bottom of the tank. I’m not sure what to do

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom