betta may be eating silver dollar

1. taro5201 Initiate Member

I've had a betta for about 4 months, and I just got a silver dollar fish. I think my betta may be eating my silver dollar's fins? I'm not sure though. I thought these 2 fish were able to share a tank. what's goin on??

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

Betta are aggresive to fish with large fins, so the silver dollar's tail fin may be angering/provoking it in a way.

3. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

4. betta waita Initiate Member

he proly is.

5. RoboDude Member Member

Whoever gave you that advice is wrong. Bettas are NOT compatible with Silver Dollars. Sorry for the bad news.

6. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I have serious doubts a beta could keep up with a silver dollar's swimming speed.

Unless you have SEEN this, I would be looking for another option.

Dino

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

the fins of a silver dollar shouldnt provoke a betta too imensely but it is possible... if you jsut bought the silver dollar and didnt quarantine it it might be diseased... possibly fin rot if it looks like its fins are torn/ frayed

8. beckers4oranges Member Member

if you had to betta in the aquarium...alone...for a long time...this tank is now the "bettas tank" due to the lack that he is very territorial...he would attack anything you put in there...even if their compatable....i know...its happened to me...twice