Question Betta male and female in the same tank with tetras

griff5499

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you have a male and female Betta in same tank with several tetras? Fish stocking tool says no. Just wondering because I have a male and he seems alone and was going to get him a female.

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
griff5499 said:
Can you have a male and female Betta in same tank with several tetras? Fish stocking tool says no. Just wondering because I have a male and he seems alone and was going to get him a female.
It’s not usually the best idea unless you have them in a large tank with tons of plants and sight breakers. Often, the male will continuously harass and/or injure the female, plus there is the chance of fry.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Definitely don’t. Betta should not be kept together unless it’s a sorority (all females), which needs at least 30 gallons and it’s not a beginner tank, only recommended to experienced betta keepers.

never keep a male and female together in the same tank. Even even betta are being bred, it’s never in their normal tank.

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would have to agree with the others, would have to be a big tank with lots of plants. I had a female betta in a 29 and she was ALL OVER that tank.

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In my experience only one Betta should be in the aquarium at a time, I used a seperator wall for a bit but eventually re homed my female. I found they weren't happy with only half the space.

Myboimydudemyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
griff5499 said:
Bettas don’t feel lonely like people or other animals do and prefer to live alone. He will just kill the female so under no circumstances besides breeding should you pair bettas together.
As for tetras, that depends on the size of the tank, betta’s personality, and if there are plenty of hiding spots. Even then tetras have a tendency harass long finned fish by nipping them. Hope that helps

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had luck with female betta community tanks. Semi aggressive fish, worked just fine, people have had success with Harlequin Rasbora as well but again in a bigger tank and adding her last. Would not do a male betta in community tank, fins can become a target. Females can be just as "bad" as males or worse, depends on the fishies personality.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Myboimydudemyfish said:
. . . Even then tetras have a tendency harass long finned fish by nipping them. Hope that helps
I have serpae tetras with three pearl gouramis and a female betta, and lemon and black neon tetras with an angelfish. There's no nipping, or any other aggressive behavior from any of the tetras.

I firmly believe the nipping behavior attributed to many tetras is a result of people trying to keep just a few in a tank. If the school is adequately sized they'll focus their attention on each other instead of the other fish in the tank. Six is often given as a minimum number for shoaling fish, but I prefer 8, and more is always better.

Sauceboat

Reaction score
griff5499 said:
Definitely don’t unless you have at least six feet of length and loads of plants. But if you really wanted to you could use a divider for the tank, I’m not sure how big your tank is (a divider would limit the space for the tetras) but it could work.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
my male was a halfmoon fin, so slow. The females all moved faster
He loved 2 of my girls (Penelope my elephnat ear that is getting over pop eye & China moon - deep green half moon, both very alpha female Bettas ) and would swim side by side - no aggression at all. 38 gallon, lots of plants, cory cats, tetras, snails, etc

no mating activity that I saw.

He was attacked but I have skirt tetras, he liked to chase the blue glowskirt tetra. I think it was the tetra that attacked him because they can be very vicious just like a betta. His fins are nearly grown back.

New Threads