Betta lying at bottom after temperature drop

• Thread starter Pennjess27
  • Start date

Pennjess27

Hello, I am new at this whole fish owning thing. My bettas tank got too cold and he started losing his color and now he just lays at the bottom of his tank. Hes not eating either. I've tried to warm up the tank but he still isn't going back to normal. Is he dying? Can I do anything?

Attachments

Mazeus

Well Known

Demonskid

Welcome to Fishlore, I hope we can find someone who can help.
Do you know your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels? Those could help the others of this website figure out what's going on.

Also what size tank is he in?

Pennjess27

The tank is now set at 80 degrees F. He is in a 10 gallon tank with no other fish. Unfortunately I dont know any other levels of the tank, im just learning how to test those. He is in preconditioned water from the store.

Mazeus

Well Known
Pennjess27 said:
The tank is now set at 80 degrees F. He is in a 10 gallon tank with no other fish. Unfortunately I dont know any other levels of the tank, im just learning how to test those. He is in preconditioned water from the store.
Ah, he is brand new to you? If you have just introduced him to the tank, he's probably just getting acclimatised. How long have you had him?

Pennjess27

I have had him for a month, he was okay until his water temperature dropped. It got down to 63 degrees so it was pretty cold for him

Mazeus

Well Known
Ok, more questions (sorry!).
1. Did you cycle the take before adding the fish?
2. How often and how much water are you changing (if you have done a water change yet)?

Pennjess27

I did for a couple hours but I didnt know that it should be done for 24 hours until after I put him in and I have done one full water change and do a 25 percent water change every week

Demonskid

A cycle takes a lot longer than 24 hours. I've been cycling my new 5gallon since the 16th and it's still not finished. So your tank might not be fully cycled and the ammonia could be whats causing this.

Are you using any water conditioner when you do your water changes? Something like Prime?

My best advice right now would be to get the API Master Kit and test the water parameters. If you have trouble reading the colors, you can always post a photo of the test tubes here and we can help with that.

Mazeus

Well Known
Pennjess27 said:
I did for a couple hours but I didnt know that it should be done for 24 hours until after I put him in and I have done one full water change and do a 25 percent water change every week
Ah ha! We may be getting closer to what is going on. Cycling typically takes weeks (despite what some pet stores may tell you!). Ok, so we're not sure if the tank has cycled yet, if it's been a month it may have, but that's not guaranteed.

It may be that there is excess ammonia or nitrites in the water, that combined with the stress of a temperature drop might be adversly impacting the fish.

Some suggestions to help:
1. Do a big water change (at least 50 %) today and again tomorrow. This should help to clean the water.
2. If you can afford to, buy a test kit so you can keep track of the parameters.

Pennjess27

Oh wow, okay. I will definitely make sure I get that kit. I use preconditioned water that you can buy from the store. Hopefully I can get him back to his old self. Thank you.

Mazeus

Well Known
Pennjess27 said:
Oh wow, okay. I will definitely make sure I get that kit. I use preconditioned water that you can buy from the store. Hopefully I can get him back to his old self. Thank you.
That's great that you have the water conditioner, this takes chlorine and other chemicals out of the tap water. However, as the fish poops, more ammonia is added into the tank and if the beneficial bacteria you need isn't there to process the ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate, the ammonia stays in the tank and harms the fish. Testing lets you know that the bateria are doing their job!

Until you have a test kit, I'd suggest doing a decent water change (40% ish) every couple of days until you can be sure the tank is properly cycled.

Here's a video you might find helpful! Happy fish keeping!

Top Bottom