Betta lump

• Thread starter Jollyrancher
  • Start date

Jollyrancher

Hey guys. I went to look at my Betta today and noticed this lump on his side. I'm hoping it is just constipation and not swim badder disease or dropsy or something? I feed him three pebbles of his fish food morning and night. I've had him for 23 months. I'm thinking of fasting him tonight and tomorrow morning and see if anything changes? And ideas or advice or experience is appreciated!

Attachments

jkkgron2

Well Known
Water parameters ? Can he swim? It looks like a tumor to me. dropsy looks like a betta is pineconing so I think you’re good there.

Jollyrancher

He's in a 10 gallon and temp is 80. I tested the water and everything came back normal. I did a water change and he was moving around just fine. He rests on the big leaves a lot so that's not abnormal for him.

Attachments

jkkgron2

Well Known
Jollyrancher said:
He's in a 10 gallon and temp is 80. I tested the water and everything came back normal. I did a water change and he was moving around just fine. He rests on the big leaves a lot so that's not abnormal for him.
What are the exact parameters? If it’s a tumor there’s not much you can do.

jkkgron2

Well Known
I would get a liquid test kit. The strips can be inaccurate. However, you won’t be able to treat that tumor so the kindest thing you could do might be to euthanize him.

Jollyrancher

jkkgron2 said:
I would get a liquid test kit. The strips can be inaccurate. However, you won’t be able to treat that tumor so the kindest thing you could do might be to euthanize him.
Since he isn't pineconing and is acting fine, I think I'll try to fast him for 3 days and see if he improves at all

jkkgron2

Well Known
Jollyrancher said:
Since he isn't pineconing and is acting fine, I think I'll try to fast him for 3 days and see if he improves at all
Fasting won’t help :(. That tumor is probably because of a genetic issue.

Jollyrancher

Dang

Jollyrancher

Update on my betta Jolly Rancher. (See previous post for last update) it seems he is getting worse... on the last post someone said it was a tumor and there is nothing you can do. His left side looks bigger now and he is breathing very heavy on the bottom of the tank currently. He ate this morning I think but not the past two night's foods. Thoughts?

Attachments

jkkgron2

Well Known
Yeah, There isn’t really anything you can do. I would try to just make his life as comfortable as possible and euthanize if he gets much worse.

julifhy

Well Known
He doesn't look well unfortunately :(
You could try giving him an epson salt bath. He could possibly have dropsy, but it might be too late for him now :(
What food do you feed him?

Rose of Sharon

On the off chance that it might be a viral infection, you could always try an antibiotic. That's not a very popular subject, but if you want to try you can check out the Seachem web site. Seachem has an entire line of antibiotics, and they have a forum so you could ask for recommendations about which to use.

I have a female with a large lump that developed over the last few weeks, and we think it is linked to the massive power outage that we had for over 8 days when hurricane Laura hit at the end of August.

I am currenlty treating her with a cocktail of antibiotics just in case it is an infection, and not a tumor. Only time will tell which one it is.

I wish you the best of luck, and may both of our bettas get better!

jkkgron2

Well Known
Rose of Sharon said:
On the off chance that it might be a viral infection, you could always try an antibiotic. That's not a very popular subject, but if you want to try you can check out the Seachem web site. Seachem has an entire line of antibiotics, and they have a forum so you could ask for recommendations about which to use.

I have a female with a large lump that developed over the last few weeks, and we think it is linked to the massive power outage that we had for over 8 days when hurricane Laura hit at the end of August.

I am currenlty treating her with a cocktail of antibiotics just in case it is an infection, and not a tumor. Only time will tell which one it is.

In his current state I think that antibiotics will be to much for him. However, because it appeared so suddenly it is possible. Just seems to late for him to be able to make it through antibiotics.

Jollyrancher

julifhy said:
He doesn't look well unfortunately :(
You could try giving him an epson salt bath. He could possibly have dropsy, but it might be too late for him now :(
What food do you feed him?
Maybe dropsy but he isn't pineconing. He used to eat omega one and he now eats tetra betta min

Rose of Sharon said:

I hope your betta gets better!

jkkgron2 said:
In his current state I think that antibiotics will be to much for him. However, because it appeared so suddenly it is possible. Just seems to late for him to be able to make it through antibiotics.
Yeah. I saw him go up for air twice today but he pretty much laid on the bottom and his plant the entire day, kinda in a C position too now.

Jollyrancher

Update: I've decided to euthenize Jolly Rancher today. I can't remember the last time he's eaten food and he lays on the bottom of the tank all day. He sometimes moves spots but he looks like he is suffering. I found this clove oil at Walmart and was wondering if it will work?

Attachments

erinw347

Well Known
Yep, that clove oil should be fine. So sorry about this.

Jollyrancher

Update for those who are interested: I've never cried so hard before but the clove oil worked fine and he passed away very quickly. Rip Jolly Rancher. 11/6/18-10/18/10

erinw347

Well Known
You gave him a great life and I’m sure he would be very grateful that he had the opportunity to pass peacefully.

Fisch

Well Known
Jollyrancher said:
As long as he does not seem to suffer, let him enjoy the good care you gave him over the last 23months. He will let you know when it is time.

Jollyrancher

Fisch said:
As long as he does not seem to suffer, let him enjoy the good care you gave him over the last 23months. He will let you know when it is time.
I agree. Except the last couple of days he definitely knew it was time. He hadn't moved or eaten for days. He is such a fighter though, I belive he needed that help in passing peacefully.

Fisch

Well Known
Jollyrancher said:
I agree. Except the last couple of days he definitely knew it was time. He hadn't moved or eaten for days. He is such a fighter though, I belive he needed that help in passing peacefully.
I am sorry, and applaud you for letting him go in peace when it is his time.

Rose of Sharon

So sorry for your loss!!!! :(

Biiba

I’m so sorry You lost your beautiful betta. I had the same thing happen to 2 of my bettas over the years and it’s heartbreaking. Thinking of you...,

Vivo

Read through the thread. You are brave. I'm so sorry for you and your sweet boy.

Top Bottom