Betta Loves To Catch Bubbles

Mar Bio Bob

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all. I'd like to share something that I haven't seen or heard of before.

I've had my betta (Bob, very original, I know ) for about 8 months now and he's finally recovering from fin rot! Yay! That's beside the point. I've noticed that Bob seems to like to grab bubbles from the air stone with his pelvic fins! He's been doing this since we got him, but stopped when the fin rot got pretty bad. Now that his fins have mostly grown back he's catching bubbles again!

When I first noticed the fin-bubbles, I thought he had some kind of problem. The only thing my Google searches turned up was possibly a cancerous fin desease! Luckily it's not that, but just him harnessing bubbles for his own personal floatation. He seems to do this on purpose, but sometimes the bubbles are so big that he has a bit of trouble swimming down. I've even seen him catch 2 bubbles, one in each pelvic fin. He'll hang out for a while with his fin bubble, and then lose it eventually when he swims down.

Anyway, I just thought it was weird. Bob catches bubbles and releases them with no ill effects. Here's some photos:
View media item 242082

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom