Betta Losing Color? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AceFish, Aug 9, 2019.

1. AceFish

AceFishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    I rescued a betta from my cousin about a month ago. He was in a little jar with disgusting water 24/7 so I took him and put him in my 10 gallon. Obviously he wasn't very healthy when I took him, his fins were small and unhealthy, he had ich, he was losing his color under his chin and almost everywhere. I helped him and he's doing fine now but only a little bit of his color came back. My tank is taken care of very well, filter, heater, and I vacuum the gravel every two weeks or so. Idk why his color isn't coming back, is it just permanent damage since he was in those bad conditions so long? There is only one other fish in the tank and it's a platy.
    He wouldn't really stay still for a picture but you can kinda see where his color is faded. Snapchat-2097781179.Snapchat-278948477.

2. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +160
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    what do you feed?

3. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    The flakes are supposed to be for the platy but he swipes quite a bit of it. I give him 4-6 pellets too and usually he eats them all . Snapchat-1029511262.

4. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +160
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think after being in filthy conditions it will take time for his scales to heal and for his slime coat to thin out some his body probably may have over produced it in order to act as a barrier(what it's supposed to do) against all the crud he was exposed to I think with the good food your giving him and regular water changes he should start looking like his old self soon - you could give him some frozen bloodworms too I'm sure the platy would like a few too. The feeding completion will help him.

Sent from my LML713DL using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    AceFish

Ratings:
    +32
    Okay thanks.