Betta Looks Rough

Kennedy
On a different thread of mine that I posted today, someone asked for a photo of my fish so I took one and was very shocked at how rough my betta looks. Does he have fin rot? Currently trying to find a solution to him attacking his reflection and smashing into the glass, plants and gravel. He's very active so I don't often get to just look at him like he is in the picture. I feel really bad.

Attachments

• IMG_3857.JPG
    IMG_3857.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 98
CanadianFishFan
What do you mean? I see a perfectly healthy betta. The cellophane fins on the edge is very normal. Does not looked rip either.

Kennedy
What do you mean? I see a perfectly healthy betta. The cellophane fins on the edge is very normal. Does not looked rip either.

For real? Omg that's a relief. I asked my friend what she thought and she agreed he looked rough. I'm pretty paranoid though, because the ammonia levels can't seem to stay at zero the whole time i've had him (it has been a month now). So I worry about any possible thing that could be wrong

CanadianFishFan
I took another peek and maybe but hard to tell. Take another close up on the edge of the fins.

Demeter
He looks great IMO. Some of my betta fry look like little zombies. The marble gene is hitting them pretty hard, a big pale patch on their back and then patchy pale spots makes it look like they're dying

Some fish just look a bit rugged, but that's just their genetics. Not all bettas are pretty reds, whites, blues. Some are "dark horses" too.

Kennedy
He looks great IMO. Some of my betta fry look like little zombies. The marble gene is hitting them pretty hard, a big pale patch on their back and then patchy pale spots makes it look like they're dying

Some fish just look a bit rugged, but that's just their genetics. Not all bettas are pretty reds, whites, blues. Some are "dark horses" too.

I bought mine because he was different from all the others, also very lively. But he is just being a brat all the time. He sees his reflection and smashes into the glass, so I add more plants and he still finds his reflection and spazzes out. At first I thought he was itching in his plants, but then realized he was getting startled by his reflection when he would come out of the plants and then would quickly wiggle his way back in. I wish they could tell that it is them and not another male.

wolfdog01
About the ammonia...what conditioner do you use? I've seen people say Prime can give false readings of ammonia. I always seem to have .25 of ammonia and I know for sure my tank is cycled.
Also, your betta looks healthy to me as well! Just a little unique color patten.

Kennedy
About the ammonia...what conditioner do you use? I've seen people say Prime can give false readings of ammonia. I always seem to have .25 of ammonia and I know for sure my tank is cycled.

I use Prime because that is what everyone has been telling me to use.

Kennedy

Kennedy

wolfdog01
That could just be it then. Your tank may be fully cycled but Prime is showing hints of ammonia. I forget exactly how but I think it's two types of ammonia or something and when you use Prime the API test kit doesn't differentiate.
For the reflection, is the light over his tank brighter than the ambient light? If so, he may be seeing his reflection in the glass. I haven't looked at the other thread so someone may have already said this.

Kennedy
That could just be it then. Your tank may be fully cycled but Prime is showing hints of ammonia. I forget exactly how but I think it's two types of ammonia or something and when you use Prime the API test kit doesn't differentiate.
For the reflection, is the light over his tank brighter than the ambient light? If so, he may be seeing his reflection in the glass. I haven't looked at the other thread so someone may have already said this.

Yes it is lighter

wolfdog01
What you can do is either get a lamp or something bright and put it by his tank or raise the tank light. You could also keep the room lights on and have the tank not flush with wall. It has something to do with how the light reflects off of the glass. I have a bright LED in my room that turns off and on when my tank light does, both are on timers. It helps a bit with balancing light levels even if I'm not there. You could also try a background on the tank but that's a 50/50 shot. None of my bettas have liked background. I currently have window cling on the back of mine, it has broken up pieces and light shifting colors that make it harder to see his reflection, but it is clear so the light won't reflect off of it.

Kennedy
Update: My Betta is literally SMASHING his face into the gravel...****!! He's acting like a maniac

wolfdog01
Is he biting at it? Or ramming into it face first?
If he's just biting then he might be hunting. If it's ramming then he could be a VERY aggressive betta or there could be some issues going on internally.

Kennedy
Is he biting at it? Or ramming into it face first?
If he's just biting then he might be hunting. If it's ramming then he could be a VERY aggressive betta or there could be some issues going on internally.

I can't really tell. When I stand near the tank he doesn't move. but just now, he is rubbing his bottom fin (not sure of the name) on the gravel, but before he was swimming frantically and going hard enough to move to gravel around. That is what got my attention was the noise.

FiscCyning
Flashing (rubbing against gravel/decor) can be a sign of parasites. I’d suggest searching YouTube for “fish flashing” to see if the videos look like what your betta is doing.

Kennedy
Flashing (rubbing against gravel/decor) can be a sign of parasites. I’d suggest searching YouTube for “fish flashing” to see if the videos look like what your betta is doing.

Yes, he does that! Mainly on his plants but last night he was moving rocks around that's how hard he was going. Other than ich and velvet what could he have? Because he has no physical signs of those...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CrazyScienceTeacher
Top Bottom