Betta likes filter - Is this normal?

BettaLove2021
My betta is in his 60 litre tank as of Sunday. Previously he was in a tiny 10 litre. He is obsessed with the filter. His old tank had a separate compartment for the filter so this is a new thing for him. The filer has been modified with a plastic bottle and tights to reduce the flow. He is now starting to choose to sleep on top of it. I have other things in his tank he can sleep on. I will include a picture so you can see them. It is pretty scary when he sleeps on the top of the filer. Apart from this, he is active and eating as normal.

Attachments

• fish tank.jpeg
    fish tank.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 119
  • sleeping.jpg
    sleeping.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 117
BigManAquatics
If he is sleeping there, might be the lowest flow in the whole tank.

butterflybetta
My betta did the same thing when I first got him. He would always stay by the filter lol. As long as he’s active and eating, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Btw, did you cycle his new tank? Do you know what the water parameters are?
I would also recommend filling up your tank all the way up!

BettasAreSuperior
My betta is in his 60 litre tank as of Sunday. Previously he was in a tiny 10 litre. He is obsessed with the filter. His old tank had a separate compartment for the filter so this is a new thing for him. The filer has been modified with a plastic bottle and tights to reduce the flow. He is now starting to choose to sleep on top of it. I have other things in his tank he can sleep on. I will include a picture so you can see them. It is pretty scary when he sleeps on the top of the filer. Apart from this, he is active and eating as normal.
When I had a similar setup to yours my betta would do the same thing (Until I switched to a sponge filter). He would just sit there. It's normal, bettas just like sitting anywhere, they're quirky.

BettaLove2021
If he is sleeping there, might be the lowest flow in the whole tank.
Thank you for your reply. The flow is almost non existent due to the bottle and tights. He swims everywhere but seems to want to sleep on the filter.

V1K
If I think in terms of what bettas like, the filter is indeed the most comfortable spot in your tank. They like to go up to the surface to breathe and then back to chilling. The circle thing requires the betta to go out and up (if it's on suction cups and not glued, I recommend lifting it so part of the inside is above water line). The rest of his hiding spots are even lower. The filter only requires lifting his head to breathe in.

BettaLove2021
My betta did the same thing when I first got him. He would always stay by the filter lol. As long as he’s active and eating, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Btw, did you cycle his new tank? Do you know what the water parameters are?
I would also recommend filling up your tank all the way up!
Thank you. That is good to know. Yes, the tank is cycled. It has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 40 nitrates. I cannot get the nitrates lower due to my tap water but was assured this is okay. I did not think I could fill the tank higher as I know bettas like to go to the surface. Is it safe to fill the tank up with more water?
When I had a similar setup to yours my betta would do the same thing (Until I switched to a sponge filter). He would just sit there. It's normal, bettas just like sitting anywhere, they're quirky.
Thank you for that. It is a sponge filter.

Advertisement
BettasAreSuperior
Is it safe to fill the tank up with more water?
For sure! I fill mine all the way up and my bettas don't mind at all.

BettaLove2021
If I think in terms of what bettas like, the filter is indeed the most comfortable spot in your tank. They like to go up to the surface to breathe and then back to chilling. The circle thing requires the betta to go out and up (if it's on suction cups and not glued, I recommend lifting it so part of the inside is above water line). The rest of his hiding spots are even lower. The filter only requires lifting his head to breathe in.
Thank you that is very interesting. The floating log just floats and is designed for bettas. I did not realise I had to get more floating things. I had a leaf hammock but it kept bending and loosing suction.

butterflybetta
Thank you. That is good to know. Yes, the tank is cycled. It has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 40 nitrates. I cannot get the nitrates lower due to my tap water but was assured this is okay. I did not think I could fill the tank higher as I know bettas like to go to the surface. Is it safe to fill the tank up with more water?

Thank you for that. It is a sponge filter.
They like horizontal swimming space. Some people keep their bettas in 20 gallon tall tanks, so I’m sure your betta will be fine if you fill it up all the way. He’ll definitely appreciate the extra swimming space too!

BettaLove2021
They like horizontal swimming space. Some people keep their bettas in 20 gallon tall tanks, so I’m sure your betta will be fine if you fill it up all the way. He’ll definitely appreciate the extra swimming space too!
Thank you. I will add more water right away. I am going to order Indian almond leaves too. Can you recommend anything else he may like in his tank? When I look online I just find the things I already have. I really appreciate your help.

V1K
Thank you. I will add more water right away. I am going to order Indian almond leaves too. Can you recommend anything else he may like in his tank? When I look online I just find the things I already have. I really appreciate your help.
A water lettuce plant. It's an easy plant, just floats on the surface, you don't even need to plant it. Bettas love floating plants. Additionally, it will use up some of those nitrates in your water.

BettaLove2021
A water lettuce plant. It's an easy plant, just floats on the surface, you don't even need to plant it. Bettas love floating plants. Additionally, it will use up some of those nitrates in your water.
Thank you for the idea.

bendybetta
My betta personally loves tight areas as he like to go in them and gets stuck sometimes and I have to get him out.

BettaLove2021
My betta personally loves tight areas as he like to go in them and gets stuck sometimes and I have to get him out.
That is very adventurous.

StarGirl
I know some bettas dont like the logs floating around either. I used some small rubber bands and a suction cup to attach it to the side so it stayed in one spot.

BettaLove2021
I know some bettas dont like the logs floating around either. I used some small rubber bands and a suction cup to attach it to the side so it stayed in one spot.
Thank you for the tip. I think he likes this as he is in it often just not to sleep. How funny, he is in it right now.

butterflybetta
He will love the Indian almond leaves! I also wanted to be sure, you have a heater, right? (I have a feeling you probably do lol) It wasn’t mentioned anywhere and bettas thrive in 78-80°F temperature

You might want to be careful with that. My betta got stuck before and lost a lot of scales

bendybetta
He will love the Indian almond leaves! I also wanted to be sure, you have a heater, right? (I have a feeling you probably do lol) It wasn’t mentioned anywhere and bettas thrive in 78-80°F temperature

You might want to be careful with that. My betta got stuck before and lost a lot of scales
I will he just like going between the tank wall and the net breeder and can get stuck.

FoldedCheese
Mine sometimes goes against the flow during his laps around the tank but I also have a hob with a sponge so he can't rest on it.

BettaLove2021

That is good to know he will like the almond leaves. Yes, I have a heater with a guard to protect him.
I have ordered a dwarf lettuce plant. It was surprisingly difficult to find here. Thank you for the help.

V1K
I have ordered a dwarf lettuce plant. It was surprisingly difficult to find here. Thank you for the help.
Have you checked local ads? Usually there are people just giving it away, because it propagates quite fast (you'll need to throw some plantlets out once in a while so it doesn't cover all the surface).
In case you'll ever want to replace your fake plants with real ones, keep in mind to check local ads and aquarium groups first. This way you get plants adapted to local water conditions, and for a much lower price.

BettaLove2021
Have you checked local ads? Usually there are people just giving it away, because it propagates quite fast (you'll need to throw some plantlets out once in a while so it doesn't cover all the surface).
In case you'll ever want to replace your fake plants with real ones, keep in mind to check local ads and aquarium groups first. This way you get plants adapted to local water conditions, and for a much lower price.
Thank you. Where I live we are in lockdown so it would not be possible to do that. Great tips for the future though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cooperman411
  • Question
Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies
Views
Mbnavy98
Replies