Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Betta Lethargic For Months

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by The Patriot Way, Apr 6, 2019.

1. The Patriot Way New Member Member

Hi all, I know this seems to be a pretty common topic but I'd like to ask if anyone has any input on my situation. A while back, maybe 3-4 months ago, I noticed that my male betta Conor was moving less than he used to, and seemed to have lost his appetite. I tested his water and everything was fine except for the ammonia level was concerning, which is to say that it tested positive for ammonia. I did a 50% water change and tested a few days later, and there was still ammonia, even though I had detoxified it with stress coat. I tested my tap water, and it revealed that there was ammonia IN the tap water itself. After that, I started using QuickStart, Stress Coat, and Seachem Prime with every change - equal parts, for a detox cocktail of sorts. His water stopped testing positive for ammonia, and he started eating again but the lethargy remains. He lives in a 5-gallon tank by himself.

Conor used to float in the middle of the tank and spread his fins, and also used to come to the top at feeding time. Now he lays in the sand all day, every day, although he usually keeps his head slightly up. He now waits for the worms to sink down near him and then he grabs them near the bottom. He's still full of energy when he decides to move, i.e. he has no problem swimming when he needs to. His breathing appears slightly labored. He's about 5 years old now, and the guys at the LFS said that he's probably just old. I don't really buy that, but would anyone have any ideas/suggestions to bring joy back to his life? I'm guessing nothing can really be done but I want to help him if there's something that can be done. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

3. The Patriot Way New Member Member

To be perfectly honest, I really don't know. I have one of those Tetra HT automatic heaters that turns on when the water drops below a certain temperature. I just felt it and it feels pretty warm, about the same temperature that it's been since I've had him.

4. The Patriot Way New Member Member

He passed last night. I will miss him, but glad he's not suffering anymore because his quality of life really didn't seem to be very high. Thanks.

5. Bettafishgal Valued Member Member

I'm so very sorry, he didnt look well in the pictures. his fin's looked perfectly fine, he could have just been a old fish. Rest in peace Conor :(

6. The Patriot Way New Member Member

Much appreciated, yes I think his age was a big factor. Thank you for your well wishes :)

7. Bettafishgal Valued Member Member

So sorry once again, I really hope the best for you :)