Betta Lethargic And Lying On His Side

annejupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone!

So this is my first time posting, and I have got a very long and complicated situation here with my Beta fish (Andre). I am looking for ANY advice whatsoever on the best way to go about saving my darling boy.

First of all, I have been a terrible betta owner. I was given Andre as a gift almost two years ago by my boyfriend to keep me company in my study through VCE. He was initially put in one of those tiny plastic cubes that they are advertised to be in with a heat lamp I bought, and remained in that for the first year of his life (see picture). Upon finishing school I moved Andre down into the kitchen and put him into a bowl (slightly bigger, but in hindsight still minuscule) with the same lamp (see picture).

During this time, I fed him as many single pellets as he would eat (sometimes up to 9 at a time). The pellets are for tropical fish, but at this point I am not even sure if they are betta specific (they certainly don't provide an adequate diet for what I now know are omnivores). Water changes were rare, I did these only as the tank started to get 'manky' (for some reason the bowl gets to this state quicker, producing lots of green algae).

Quite frankly, in hindsight, I have no idea how he is still alive

Recently Andre has been acting very strange, floating on his side at the top of the tank. He is very lethargic. Extremely worried, this prompted me to do some research. Put simply, I learnt that everything I was told by the Pet shop was completely wrong (I stupidly believed them as this is my first time owning a fish), and I had no idea how to adequately care or provide for my beta. I am seriously appalled at myself and feel incredibly guilty. Now, I want to do everything I can to ensure I give Andre the best life possible so he can live out the rest of his days a happy beta.

From my research, I have decided to go with the Fluval Edge Aquarium with LED Light and filter (6 gal). With this I will purchase the Fluval Edge 25-Watt Compact Heater (as I now know that Beta's need their water to be between 78-80F); the Fluval Edge Digital Aquarium Thermometer (to monitor this); a Fluval Edge Gravel Cleaner (to siphon water to do partial water changes, instead of my previous 100% ones); a Fluval Edge Algae Magnet (to help with maintenance); a Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge (to help with maintenance and to soften the flow of the filter for Andre); the Fluval Edge Foam Pad and Biomax Renewal Kit (for the filter); and the Fluval Edge Carbon Clean and Clear Renewal Sachets (also for the filter).

As for aquascaping, I am looking at getting the Fluval Plant and Shrimp Statrum OR White Sand Substrate (undecided, as I am not sure how to maintain white sand); a piece of driftwood; live plants including Marimo Balls, Java Moss, Java Fern, Dwarf Hairgrass, Marsilea Minuta, Amazon Sword, Anubias Nana and Dwarf Sagittaria (depending on what is available locally).
As for general care, I will be purchasing the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and pure ammonia to assist in performing a fishless cycle and monitor my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels, something I did not do before (as I wasn't even aware of the nitrogen cycles existence). I will also upgrade Andre's betta food to something more appropriate for his omnivore diet, as well as purchase some frozen blood worms for a bit of variety (and feed him only a few pellets a day, of course!)

SO- in light of all this new care information I uncovered during my research, I would like some help. What would be the best way to go about sustaining Andre in his current disgrace of a tank while I perform a fishless cycle in my new tank? Also, based on his symptoms (see picture below), could anyone could please offer their opinion on what they believe he may be suffering from (if it could be something specific and not just his horrific conditions) so I can work on treating that while the cycle completes?? My research is leaning towards swim bladder disease so I have begun fasting him (today will be day three) and will give him a pea tonight, but really it could be a whole plethora of issues given his environment.

For those that think it is too late for Andre, I will not give up on him and will still try!!! He has survived almost 2 years thus far and I am praying he will be able to see out the next few weeks as I get myself organised.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated, as I really want to try and do good by Andre now that I know how wrong everything that I have done has been

P.S. For future stocking reference (after Andre is sorted), I would really like a bottom dwelling fish to help with maintenance of the tank. Could you guys think of anything that would be suitable for a 6 gallon and is compatible with Betas? I was thinking of maybe a SMALL species of corydora catfish or pleco (possibly from 1-4 inches) but am unsure!

Thank you all so much for your time in reading this incredibly long post!

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
annejupiter said:
Hello everyone!

So this is my first time posting, and I have got a very long and complicated situation here with my Beta fish (Andre). I am looking for ANY advice whatsoever on the best way to go about saving my darling boy.

First of all, I have been a terrible betta owner. I was given Andre as a gift almost two years ago by my boyfriend to keep me company in my study through VCE. He was initially put in one of those tiny plastic cubes that they are advertised to be in with a heat lamp I bought, and remained in that for the first year of his life (see picture). Upon finishing school I moved Andre down into the kitchen and put him into a bowl (slightly bigger, but in hindsight still minuscule) with the same lamp (see picture).

During this time, I fed him as many single pellets as he would eat (sometimes up to 9 at a time). The pellets are for tropical fish, but at this point I am not even sure if they are betta specific (they certainly don't provide an adequate diet for what I now know are omnivores). Water changes were rare, I did these only as the tank started to get 'manky' (for some reason the bowl gets to this state quicker, producing lots of green algae).

Quite frankly, in hindsight, I have no idea how he is still alive

Recently Andre has been acting very strange, floating on his side at the top of the tank. He is very lethargic. Extremely worried, this prompted me to do some research. Put simply, I learnt that everything I was told by the Pet shop was completely wrong (I stupidly believed them as this is my first time owning a fish), and I had no idea how to adequately care or provide for my beta. I am seriously appalled at myself and feel incredibly guilty. Now, I want to do everything I can to ensure I give Andre the best life possible so he can live out the rest of his days a happy beta.

From my research, I have decided to go with the Fluval Edge Aquarium with LED Light and filter (6 gal). With this I will purchase the Fluval Edge 25-Watt Compact Heater (as I now know that Beta's need their water to be between 78-80F); the Fluval Edge Digital Aquarium Thermometer (to monitor this); a Fluval Edge Gravel Cleaner (to siphon water to do partial water changes, instead of my previous 100% ones); a Fluval Edge Algae Magnet (to help with maintenance); a Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge (to help with maintenance and to soften the flow of the filter for Andre); the Fluval Edge Foam Pad and Biomax Renewal Kit (for the filter); and the Fluval Edge Carbon Clean and Clear Renewal Sachets (also for the filter).

As for aquascaping, I am looking at getting the Fluval Plant and Shrimp Statrum OR White Sand Substrate (undecided, as I am not sure how to maintain white sand); a piece of driftwood; live plants including Marimo Balls, Java Moss, Java Fern, Dwarf Hairgrass, Marsilea Minuta, Amazon Sword, Anubias Nana and Dwarf Sagittaria (depending on what is available locally).
As for general care, I will be purchasing the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and pure ammonia to assist in performing a fishless cycle and monitor my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels, something I did not do before (as I wasn't even aware of the nitrogen cycles existence). I will also upgrade Andre's betta food to something more appropriate for his omnivore diet, as well as purchase some frozen blood worms for a bit of variety (and feed him only a few pellets a day, of course!)

SO- in light of all this new care information I uncovered during my research, I would like some help. What would be the best way to go about sustaining Andre in his current disgrace of a tank while I perform a fishless cycle in my new tank? Also, based on his symptoms (see picture below), could anyone could please offer their opinion on what they believe he may be suffering from (if it could be something specific and not just his horrific conditions) so I can work on treating that while the cycle completes?? My research is leaning towards swim bladder disease so I have begun fasting him (today will be day three) and will give him a pea tonight, but really it could be a whole plethora of issues given his environment.

For those that think it is too late for Andre, I will not give up on him and will still try!!! He has survived almost 2 years thus far and I am praying he will be able to see out the next few weeks as I get myself organised.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated, as I really want to try and do good by Andre now that I know how wrong everything that I have done has been

P.S. For future stocking reference (after Andre is sorted), I would really like a bottom dwelling fish to help with maintenance of the tank. Could you guys think of anything that would be suitable for a 6 gallon and is compatible with Betas? I was thinking of maybe a SMALL species of corydora catfish or pleco (possibly from 1-4 inches) but am unsure!

Thank you all so much for your time in reading this incredibly long post!
I can't see the pics, so I can't try to diagnose him.

It's so refreshing to see someone doing all this for a betta! So many people just don't care, even if they know the facts.

So first of all, I wouldn't fishless cycle the tank. In this situation, Andre will do much better in a heated, 6 gallon than a fish bowl. He'll more than likely be better off with a cycle than stagnant water.

I prefer white sand, as I like the look. However, it is harder to keep looking clean. It's really personal choice.

I wouldn't do any tank mates. Some bettas will do fine with fish in larger tanks, but in a 6 gallon, you really should stick with just Andre and maybe some shrimp and snails. They'll love the plants!

It sounds like you know as much as you need to know at this point. I thoroughly believe that you'll give Andre the best life possible. However, you need to also consider that he's sick and he may not make it through. It happens.

I guarantee that 7/10 people on this forum started with horrid tanks. Bettas in bowls, neons in a 2.5 gallon, oscars in a 20 gallon, etc... But we learn from our mistakes, and in doing so, we provide a better home for our pets.

The best treatment you can give Andre right now is a bigger tank, and clean water.

For cycling the tank, I recommend Seachem Stability and Seachem Prime. The Stability is a BB supplement that will kickstart your cycle, and the Prime will make the water safe for fish (its a dechlorinator, and makes ammonia/nitrite less toxic)

Mike A

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
try putting .jpg at the end of the text for inserting your photos. That should fix it.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

It is good that you found these things out now than later when he dies! You will definitely notice a big change in the betta once he is in a bigger and heated tank. You probably added 2 years to his lifespan!

Looks like you did a ton of rightful research! Many times people think they did research but don't realize most of their information was wrong...this happen to me when I first started in the hobby

For cycling the tank I believe if you use TSS+ you can do a fish in cycle which won't be harmful to the fish. It is hard to know if it is a certain disease or problem since as you mentioned he isn't in a ideal environment. Many times diseases and other illness are caused by bad water quality or just a bad environment, sometimes it can just take a water change to make the fish better. This is why many times bettas only have a life span of less than 2 years since many people keep them in 1 gallon or less tank that aren't filtered or heated.

As far as bottom dwelling habitants, for that size tank none. Most plecos need at least a 20 gallon since plecos are big on waste. Corys are a shoaling fish and need a minimum group of 6, all of them need a 20 gallon tank although the dwarf can go in a 15 gallon. I suggest trying some ghost shrimps and snails those are the rue maintenance fish! Corys and plecos need there own diet and aren't a "clean up crew" as many beginners think they are. In fact they are just like adding a school of fish, they need their own diet and produce waste.

CHoman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with what was said above, I'm so happy that you've made the choice to give him a better home and once he gets all settled, you will see an entirely new Andre

What size is he in now and is it heated and filtered?

I agree with above that you should get him moved into the new tank and cycle with Tetra Safestart Plus (make sure it's "plus."). You'll need to get the bottle that is meant for "up to 40 gallons" and you will use the entire thing. What conditioner do you use right now? I'd highly recommend Prime, as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrites and can help Andre.

When using TSS+, you'll need to add it after 24 hours from dosing Prime. So what you can do is set the new tank up, get the filter going and add the water with Prime. Wait at least 24 hours and then add entire bottle of the TSS+, then add Andre within 2 hours. Then the hard part happens with waiting 2 weeks before water change, but it worked for me (I was in a similar situation as you) and needed to get my betta out of his 1.5 gallon bowl, after learning how little I knew about betta keeping

Any questions, ask away! Good luck to you!!

BeanFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Sounds like swim bladder stuff. Try feeding him peas, just take them out of the shell and chop one up. Altough a pic would be very helpful.

OP
A

annejupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lorekeeper said:
I can't see the pics, so I can't try to diagnose him.

It's so refreshing to see someone doing all this for a betta! So many people just don't care, even if they know the facts.

So first of all, I wouldn't fishless cycle the tank. In this situation, Andre will do much better in a heated, 6 gallon than a fish bowl. He'll more than likely be better off with a cycle than stagnant water.

I prefer white sand, as I like the look. However, it is harder to keep looking clean. It's really personal choice.

I wouldn't do any tank mates. Some bettas will do fine with fish in larger tanks, but in a 6 gallon, you really should stick with just Andre and maybe some shrimp and snails. They'll love the plants!

It sounds like you know as much as you need to know at this point. I thoroughly believe that you'll give Andre the best life possible. However, you need to also consider that he's sick and he may not make it through. It happens.

I guarantee that 7/10 people on this forum started with horrid tanks. Bettas in bowls, neons in a 2.5 gallon, oscars in a 20 gallon, etc... But we learn from our mistakes, and in doing so, we provide a better home for our pets.

The best treatment you can give Andre right now is a bigger tank, and clean water.

For cycling the tank, I recommend Seachem Stability and Seachem Prime. The Stability is a BB supplement that will kickstart your cycle, and the Prime will make the water safe for fish (its a dechlorinator, and makes ammonia/nitrite less toxic)
Thank you so much lorekeeper!!!! So a fish-in cycle would be better in this situation?? I heard that a lot of fish don't make it through the cycle How would I go about cycling the tank in this way without harming Andre too much? I assume I wouldn't have to add ammonia also? Sorry I am just unfamiliar with the process!

Al913 said:
WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

It is good that you found these things out now than later when he dies! You will definitely notice a big change in the betta once he is in a bigger and heated tank. You probably added 2 years to his lifespan!

Looks like you did a ton of rightful research! Many times people think they did research but don't realize most of their information was wrong...this happen to me when I first started in the hobby

For cycling the tank I believe if you use TSS+ you can do a fish in cycle which won't be harmful to the fish. It is hard to know if it is a certain disease or problem since as you mentioned he isn't in a ideal environment. Many times diseases and other illness are caused by bad water quality or just a bad environment, sometimes it can just take a water change to make the fish better. This is why many times bettas only have a life span of less than 2 years since many people keep them in 1 gallon or less tank that aren't filtered or heated.

As far as bottom dwelling habitants, for that size tank none. Most plecos need at least a 20 gallon since plecos are big on waste. Corys are a shoaling fish and need a minimum group of 6, all of them need a 20 gallon tank although the dwarf can go in a 15 gallon. I suggest trying some ghost shrimps and snails those are the rue maintenance fish! Corys and plecos need there own diet and aren't a "clean up crew" as many beginners think they are. In fact they are just like adding a school of fish, they need their own diet and produce waste.
Thank you Al913! Is there anything else I must do with a fish-in cycle that is different to a fishless one besides adding TSS+?

Thanks so much for your advice!!

cmarsh55 said:
I agree with what was said above, I'm so happy that you've made the choice to give him a better home and once he gets all settled, you will see an entirely new Andre

What size is he in now and is it heated and filtered?

I agree with above that you should get him moved into the new tank and cycle with Tetra Safestart Plus (make sure it's "plus."). You'll need to get the bottle that is meant for "up to 40 gallons" and you will use the entire thing. What conditioner do you use right now? I'd highly recommend Prime, as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrites and can help Andre.

When using TSS+, you'll need to add it after 24 hours from dosing Prime. So what you can do is set the new tank up, get the filter going and add the water with Prime. Wait at least 24 hours and then add entire bottle of the TSS+, then add Andre within 2 hours. Then the hard part happens with waiting 2 weeks before water change, but it worked for me (I was in a similar situation as you) and needed to get my betta out of his 1.5 gallon bowl, after learning how little I knew about betta keeping

Any questions, ask away! Good luck to you!!
Ahhhh perfect!! So to do a fish-in cycle I just set up the tank, add a Prime conditioner, wait 24 hours, as the whole bottle of TSS (how much is that?), and put Andre in. Then I wait two weeks before I change the water (may I ask why?? and should this be a partial or full water change?)

Thank you again!!!!

Here are the s, hopefully they work this time!

Attachments

CHoman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Poor Andre . Have you tested his current water? When was your last water change?

There is a post on here in the nitrogen cycle area and it's all the details on cycling with TSS +. The 2 week wait is per the TSS+ directions. I think it's mostly to ensure you have all of your bacteria in there and not interrupted. I'm really worried about Andre, from those pictures. I'd recommend testing with the API master kit, the strips are not nearly as effective

OP
A

annejupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Basically I have never tested his current water (as I never knew to do so), and honestly would hate to know what kind of nasties are in there. My goal is to get him out of there as soon as possible, so I will be starting the fish-in cycle as soon as I purchase the new 6-gallon tank.

Me too, he looks so sad! Do you think his condition will be improved once I transfer him?

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
annejupiter said:
Basically I have never tested his current water (as I never knew to do so), and honestly would hate to know what kind of nasties are in there. My goal is to get him out of there as soon as possible, so I will be starting the fish-in cycle as soon as I purchase the new 6-gallon tank.

Me too, he looks so sad! Do you think his condition will be improved once I transfer him?
With a bowl, you'll need at least one water change a day to keep the ammonia away. Sure, betta aren't that affected by ammonia because of their labyrinth organ, but you still need good, stable water to keep them happy.

The new layout is still messing me up, but from what I gather, he's lying on his side on the surface? If he isn't eating, I don't think a pea would help him much. An epsom salt bath may be better if you're seeing bloat (think I read somewhere up there that he's bloated?)

I hope as soon as means you're headed out to get him a tank ASAP. Does he perk up when it's water change time? Does he perk up ever?

EDIT: I have kept Brave in a bowl before for about a month, managed to get away with a water change once every two days because I put quite a few waterweeds in there + it was a slightly larger bowl than the standard size, about 1.5G. Not good for him, but he did well for the period. Oh, and I saw that you're worried about a fish-in cycle with a betta? Well, I'll stick my neck out here and say that if there ever was a fish to survive a fish-in cycle, it would either be a zebra danio or a betta. Good luck!

OP
A

annejupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BravetheBetta said:
With a bowl, you'll need at least one water change a day to keep the ammonia away. Sure, betta aren't that affected by ammonia because of their labyrinth organ, but you still need good, stable water to keep them happy.

The new layout is still messing me up, but from what I gather, he's lying on his side on the surface? If he isn't eating, I don't think a pea would help him much. An epsom salt bath may be better if you're seeing bloat (think I read somewhere up there that he's bloated?)

I hope as soon as means you're headed out to get him a tank ASAP. Does he perk up when it's water change time? Does he perk up ever?

EDIT: I have kept Brave in a bowl before for about a month, managed to get away with a water change once every two days because I put quite a few waterweeds in there + it was a slightly larger bowl than the standard size, about 1.5G. Not good for him, but he did well for the period. Oh, and I saw that you're worried about a fish-in cycle with a betta? Well, I'll stick my neck out here and say that if there ever was a fish to survive a fish-in cycle, it would either be a zebra danio or a betta. Good luck!
When you say daily water changes do you mean partial or 100% ones??

And yes! Laying on his side on the surface. He does perk up a bit, but not as much as usual and quickly returns to the lethargic state. Epsom salt bath? I've never heard Epsom salt being used for fish!!

Unfortunately I won't be able to get the new setup until Thursday night, as I have an assignment due tonight, work tomorrow, an assignment due tomorrow night and university all day Thursday! Hopefully he will be able to stick it out another 2 days

BeanFish

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here does full water changes. You have to understand that even tho fish can resist changes in water chemistry they would appreciate if they were stable.
With a 100% water change you basically give him a giant change.
I would do 50% (even 60%) water changes each day, make sure not to overfeed altough I wonder if the fish can eat in such conditions.
Your fish has a problem with his swim bladder, an organ that determines your fish buoyancy.

OP
A

annejupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BeanFish said:
I don't think anyone here does full water changes. You have to understand that even tho fish can resist changes in water chemistry they would appreciate if they were stable.
With a 100% water change you basically give him a giant change.
I would do 50% (even 60%) water changes each day, make sure not to overfeed altough I wonder if the fish can eat in such conditions.
Your fish has a problem with his swim bladder, an organ that determines your fish buoyancy.
Okay I'll do 50% water changes for the next two days before I get the new tank!

I do hope it is just swim bladder- I have fasted him for 3 days and just tried to give him a bit of boiled pea (but I don't think he was interested and it sank too quickly). I may try and give him a pellet later tonight just to see if he still has an appetite.

Thanks, Beanfish!

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Epsom salt baths are quite good against liquid buildup in and around the swim bladder that's putting pressure on it, causing the buoyancy to go out of whack; not 100% sure about its effectiveness against food-related bloats though (did nothing for mine, took brine shrimp for my new betta to finally poop).

I did mean partial, though I know breeders who always have a vat of water ready (temp and pH exactly the same each time) and they do close to 100% changes daily, seeing as there is no risk of biological bacteria being killed off.

as of right now, though, I'm all for you using Seachem's Prime or any dechlorinator that neutralizes ammonia and nitrites for a period of time with every water change until you're able to give him the home he deserves. From there forward, I would do what the other poster mentioned above^^ with the TSS+, just make sure your tank has been running for 24h since you added water and Prime, before you add Andre and the TSS+.

OP
A

annejupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BravetheBetta said:
Epsom salt baths are quite good against liquid buildup in and around the swim bladder that's putting pressure on it, causing the buoyancy to go out of whack; not 100% sure about its effectiveness against food-related bloats though (did nothing for mine, took brine shrimp for my new betta to finally poop).

I did mean partial, though I know breeders who always have a vat of water ready (temp and pH exactly the same each time) and they do close to 100% changes daily, seeing as there is no risk of biological bacteria being killed off.

as of right now, though, I'm all for you using Seachem's Prime or any dechlorinator that neutralizes ammonia and nitrites for a period of time with every water change until you're able to give him the home he deserves. From there forward, I would do what the other poster mentioned above^^ with the TSS+, just make sure your tank has been running for 24h since you added water and Prime, before you add Andre and the TSS+.
Sounds like a plan! Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it and I'm sure Andre will too!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI

Getting ready to go to work so I do not have time to read the whole thread. But incase it was not brought up bettas are not long lived fish. Time was they did not live much longer than one to two years. They seem to live a while longer these days (most likely do to advances in fish keeping) but I would not expect him to have the span of an angel (5+ years or a ABN 20+ years)

How old do you think he is?

Best wishes for the little fellow

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay so I just saw the photos, and good lord. HI'm lying on his side just pains me to see.

While ^ is right, old age doesn't usually see a fish just flip on its side like that. I'd probably put him at about 1 year and 4 months-ish, seeing as you probably bought him from 1-3 months of age (unless he was full grown), and you've had him for a year.

With the heat lamp, do you know what the temperature is usually like? In my opinion, all the plastic plants are doing is increasing the risk of a cut fin/body and decreasing swimming space for the little guy. I feel you that unI is busy busy (two assignments due !!! this !!!! week !!!!!) so I really do appreciate that you're going to get his tank ASAP. With regards to TSS+, get the smallest bottle you can find because it treats far more than the 5-6 gallons you're getting for him anyway. Make sure that it has the "PLUS" on the bottle!

The reason of the lack of water changes is that within TSS+ lies dormant two kinds of bacteria, the ammonia eating and nitrifying bacteria. TSS+ has way, WAY more nitrifying bacteria than it needs, and a little less ammonia eating bacteria than it needs. Water changes could push all this out of whack, which is why they recommend the 2 weeks without water changes for them to get a foothold. Seachem stability, on the other hand, has the ratio just about right, but it requires daily doses since it doesn't come in massive amounts... which is as far as my knowledge goes with this.

****, I talk way too much.

Dragones5150918

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with most of what is said here, but with a few additions.

While you get his new tank set up, I would increase the water changes to 50% twice a day. I would also add an air stone to aerate the water. I would also use either Betta Revive or straight Methylene Blue. Methylene Blue has antibacterial, antifungal, and parasitic properties, and will increase the oxygen flow in the blood stream. Betta Revive, which has Methylene Blue in it, but also Malachite Green, Neomycin, and B12. All if which is a great combination yo battle what I see on your baby.

How to use. 30 minutes after the water change (dechloranaters null both Methylene Blue and Malachite Green) add 4 drops, stir lightly until distributed. Add air stone to add more oxygen to the water.

Once his new home is set up, then I would change it to the bath method. Move him to his new home, and start your cycle. In his bowl add fresh dechlornated water. 30 minutes add 16 drops of Betta Revive or 8 drops of Methylene Blue. Put your baby in for 30 minutes twice a day, then return to his home. Leave air stone in bowl, cover, and keep warm (with in 4 degrees of tank temp). Do this for 10 days. Only change out the MB or BR if the water becomes cloudy or smells.

Couple of warnings. As I said do not use dechloranaters while using these products. They null the properties. You must wait 30 minutes after the use of a dechloranater. If you have any live plants in his bowl, remove them. They will soak up the stain and be unable to photosynthesis and die. Both will staine fabric. If you get it in your hands, the stain will fade in a few hours. Always do this in a separate container, because it will kill a cycle in a display tank (Since he us in an uncycled bowl with no bio filtration it's ok to use).

Betta Revive can be found at most pet stores like Petco. Methylene Blue is harder to find. Both will work.

OP
A

annejupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dragones5150918 said:
I agree with most of what is said here, but with a few additions.

While you get his new tank set up, I would increase the water changes to 50% twice a day. I would also add an air stone to aerate the water. I would also use either Betta Revive or straight Methylene Blue. Methylene Blue has antibacterial, antifungal, and parasitic properties, and will increase the oxygen flow in the blood stream. Betta Revive, which has Methylene Blue in it, but also Malachite Green, Neomycin, and B12. All if which is a great combination yo battle what I see on your baby.

How to use. 30 minutes after the water change (dechloranaters null both Methylene Blue and Malachite Green) add 4 drops, stir lightly until distributed. Add air stone to add more oxygen to the water.

Once his new home is set up, then I would change it to the bath method. Move him to his new home, and start your cycle. In his bowl add fresh dechlornated water. 30 minutes add 16 drops of Betta Revive or 8 drops of Methylene Blue. Put your baby in for 30 minutes twice a day, then return to his home. Leave air stone in bowl, cover, and keep warm (with in 4 degrees of tank temp). Do this for 10 days. Only change out the MB or BR if the water becomes cloudy or smells.

Couple of warnings. As I said do not use dechloranaters while using these products. They null the properties. You must wait 30 minutes after the use of a dechloranater. If you have any live plants in his bowl, remove them. They will soak up the stain and be unable to photosynthesis and die. Both will staine fabric. If you get it in your hands, the stain will fade in a few hours. Always do this in a separate container, because it will kill a cycle in a display tank (Since he us in an uncycled bowl with no bio filtration it's ok to use).

Betta Revive can be found at most pet stores like Petco. Methylene Blue is harder to find. Both will work.
Thank you so much for your post!!! That is so incredibly helpful. I will try and find some Methylene Blue ASAP. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you see on Andre that will be treated by the use of this medication???

Thank you again!!

BravetheBetta said:
Okay so I just saw the photos, and good lord. HI'm lying on his side just pains me to see.

While ^ is right, old age doesn't usually see a fish just flip on its side like that. I'd probably put him at about 1 year and 4 months-ish, seeing as you probably bought him from 1-3 months of age (unless he was full grown), and you've had him for a year.

With the heat lamp, do you know what the temperature is usually like? In my opinion, all the plastic plants are doing is increasing the risk of a cut fin/body and decreasing swimming space for the little guy. I feel you that unI is busy busy (two assignments due !!! this !!!! week !!!!!) so I really do appreciate that you're going to get his tank ASAP. With regards to TSS+, get the smallest bottle you can find because it treats far more than the 5-6 gallons you're getting for him anyway. Make sure that it has the "PLUS" on the bottle!

The reason of the lack of water changes is that within TSS+ lies dormant two kinds of bacteria, the ammonia eating and nitrifying bacteria. TSS+ has way, WAY more nitrifying bacteria than it needs, and a little less ammonia eating bacteria than it needs. Water changes could push all this out of whack, which is why they recommend the 2 weeks without water changes for them to get a foothold. Seachem stability, on the other hand, has the ratio just about right, but it requires daily doses since it doesn't come in massive amounts... which is as far as my knowledge goes with this.

, I talk way too much.
Thank you Bravethebetta!

So with TSS+ I dump it in 24 hours after using the prime dechlorinator, and put Andre in 2 hours after that. But with Seachem stability I put Andre in and then administer daily doses? Can I use them both or is it either one or the other??

Mom2some

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
annejupiter said:
Thank you so much for your post!!! That is so incredibly helpful. I will try and find some Methylene Blue ASAP. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you see on Andre that will be treated by the use of this medication???

Thank you again!!

Thank you Bravethebetta!

So with TSS+ I dump it in 24 hours after using the prime dechlorinator, and put Andre in 2 hours after that. But with Seachem stability I put Andre in and then administer daily doses? Can I use them both or is it either one or the other??
Welcome to fishlore. Poor Andre. Both TSS Plus and SeaChem Stability are bacterial supplements which will jump start your cycle. In this case I would lean toward Stability since you can do water changes during the cycling process & seeing how sick he looks you may want/need to do that. Good for you for learning & researching! Keep asking questions!

New Threads