Betta Leaf Hammocks

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Abbs12, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Abbs12

Abbs12Valued MemberMember

We purchased our Betta leaf hammock about two months ago and it has already started flaking its paint and the wire through the center has poked out. I took it out of his tank but all of my lfs sell the same brand. Is this normal of them or did I just get a bad one?

Hei Hei loved it and I would like to purchase another one or something like it asap!

2. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

I've never had paint chip, but my wire has started poking out. It's nothing sharp or harmful so I'm not worried about it, but I would just purchase a new one. I use the zoomed one.

3. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

The one from Zoo Med?
    One of ours has also lost some of the paint.
    I've found some made by Marina that my guys prefer.
    The Marina Betta Pad looks like it's injection molded vs painted.

4. OP
    OP
    Abbs12

Yes! All of the hammocks I am finding locally are the zoo med brand and that's what I had. I will check out the marina hammock! Thanks!

5. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

There's one on amazon that sells you a holder and some real indian almond leaves, so that you get the benefits of the leaves and you won't get this problem. They have to be replaced every few months.

6. OP
    OP
    Abbs12

Do you have the link?

7. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    Abbs12

Thanks!

9. littlebluesonofafishNew MemberMember

I replace mine every few months. This is normal. I will also try the natural leaves. Thanks!

10. Jess44246

Jess44246New MemberMember

I've had mine, a zoo med one, for about 3 years. Last year it started looking like but I haven't seen another to replace it yet. It's rarely used now that I have a new betta anyways - he prefers to go into a Tiki head with an opened mouth and red gem eyes (im sure you've seen that small ornament before).

11. Sen

SenValued MemberMember

I had two ZooMed betta hammocks, but I took them out of the tank because the suction cup they came with started to smell gross and also became discolored. Currently I've got some taller anubias and aponogetons in my tanks, and my betta boys seem to prefer to lounge on those.

12. Jess44246

The suction cup of mine turned this gross orangish-color. Cleaning it doesn't help for me - did you ever figure out a way to clean it when you had them?

13. Sen

SenValued MemberMember

I tried soaking them in super hot water, but that didn't do much and I didn't really want to try any chemical cleaning agents since the hammocks are intended to be so close to the fish. I ended up just putting the hammocks in a bag with all my other tank storage stuff and tossing out the suction cups.

14. Jess44246

I'll probably just remove the hammock. My male betta doesn't even use it. Thanks!

15. OP
    OP
    Abbs12

My suction cup also got pretty dingy and discolored. I use a toothbrush to clean decoration and it worked well except for the small area where you push the leaf in.

16. herwildidea

herwildideaNew MemberMember

Heads up on the Amazon one, the clamp they use to keep the leaves on rusts in a month...

17. Something Smells Fishy

Something Smells FishyValued MemberMember

You prob have a bad 1, I bought 2 hammocks 1 for me and 1 for my 13 lil cousin, mine is fine but her is flaking. I got mine at Pet Supermarket it's under $3 each, pretty cheap.

18. Jess44246

Just got one for $3 (Zoo Med) today at the pet store while getting two danios and a guppy for my big tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice