Betta laid eggs!!!

TuesdaysChild
One of my females laid eggs and is tending to them. Should I leave them be or take them out? If I don't take them out, will they rot or will she eat them before they do?

Allie
If there is no male to fertilize them then they will died off.
The males usually take care of the fry btw.

TuesdaysChild
I know, that's why I was so surprised to see that she's taking care of them. I was also shocked to see them in the tank since there is no male in sight.

Allie
I would imagine. I wish my Holly would drop her eggs once in awhile...she is always so fat.
< see avatar, my chubbetta

Martinismommy
Jagger said to send Holly to AZ.....He's more than ready to sire a litter lol

53.jpg

hockeyref88

53.jpg

So...................When the female lays eggs, how does it work?? I mean how do those bubbles come into play? Do you take the eggs and put them into the tank with the male?

Shawnie
So...................When the female lays eggs, how does it work?? I mean how do those bubbles come into play? Do you take the eggs and put them into the tank with the male?

ahem..and where did those bubbles come from? LOL

edit: OOOPS LOL those are jaggers..I thought mr hockeyref got a betta!

hockeyref88
ahem..and where did those bubbles come from? LOL

Those are Jaggers........................LOL..............They're not mine. Wifey is in Vegas playing in the world series this week. we may give the betta thing a try soon though

Shawnie
we or the * cough cough* neighbor?

hockeyref88
we or the * cough cough* neighbor?

yeah...............That's the ticket......the neighbor. No I can't really do anything yet as she is pretty tied up this whole month with this world series of poker thing. She is entered in 4 events including the main event at the end of the month, so probably not until then. She has to be the one to pick out the fish and I would want her around for a while for sure.......... As it is I'm having a real bad time with her goldie tank. We've lost 2 in the past 2 days. Water is fine. I did a 25% change today anyways but her favorite, Cocoa is struggling and I don't know what elst to do.

Any suggestions?

pamd
One of my females laid eggs and is tending to them. Should I leave them be or take them out? If I don't take them out, will they rot or will she eat them before they do?
Here is an article I found fascinating about breeding bettas:

As Allie said, the eggs will not mature into fry without a male present to fertilize them. It's interesting your female betta seems to be tending the eggs. I don't know why, except that I suspect it appears she seems to be tending them and is actually eating them.

Although I've never read anything about a female laying eggs and tending to them, I would get the eggs out of the tank before they either rot or she over-stuffs herself on them. It seems to me either scenario is possible.

The impossible thing (unless your female has spawned in the past couple of days and you've only had her for that long) is having the eggs become fry with no male to fertilize them, so don't feel bad. You're not killing off a bunch of potential little babies. There has been no male to fertilize them, as far as I can tell from your post, and on top of that, a female would not take care of the eggs or fry.

COBettaCouple
This is pretty unusual.

TuesdaysChild
There's no chance they're fertilized. I've had her for almost 2 months and she's not been around a male since I got her. I haven't checked her yet this morning so she may have eaten them over night. From what I've read, it is unusual for her to take care of the eggs but that's what it looked like that was what she was doing. The eggs are in the back corner of the tank. She was hanging out by them, darting down to the bottom and then back up to the top, doing this over and over. I took some pictures but because of where they are, it was hard to get them to come in clear. For some reason, I can't get them to upload here. So, I put them on photobucket. Here's a the link. Hopefully you can make the pictures out.

angelfish220
I once read on breeding paradise fish, but keeping the female in the tank. She tried to assist the male the whole time, he just wouldnt let her

TuesdaysChild
I finally got to check on her this morning. Some of the eggs are gone but there are quite a few left. I'll be taking out what's left shortly and won't be feeding her today. My guess is she's had enough to eat with the eggs she's consumed.

Allie

53.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AriesWonders
3 4 5 6
Replies
Views
jenmur