Betta Killed Ghost Shrimp

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Darkri, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I looked up from my phone at my tank to see my betta swimming around with something large and white in his mouth, I was watching him trying to figure out what he was eating until it dawned on me it was a piece of shrimp without it's shell, I looked down for a split second just to see the lifeless eyes of my female ghost shrimp (the bully of the tank) staring back at me, her husk still showing the perfect shape of her body but ripped open from the back. My male betta literally ripped her from her shell she'll to eat her. He is recovering from fin rot and she was know to bully him (steal his food as he was going to eat it, chase him around the tank, and one time actually latched onto his face and wouldn't let go). I still have two shrimp left in the tank, will they be ok? Was he just tired of the freeze dried food and pellets? Was he just fed up with her? Are my nerite snails and albino bristlenose pleco safe? I've had no problems until now with aggression from him. They are in a 20 gallon tall hex tank with plants and hides and food is normally not a problem but Drago hasn't really been eating much of his freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp and it's always a hassle to get him to eat his pellets. He's also swimming around looking more happy then he has in a couple weeks

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think he just got fed up with that pesky shrimp and was in the mood for a snack! I'd keep an eye out for the rest of your shrimp to make sure he doesn't decide the shrimp are better snacks than friends or tankmates. I had a female betta never try to eat my platy or Molly fry until one day she was helping herself. I think she might've gotten a hold of one once then realized how tasty they are... She's no longer on that tank cuz she was overeating...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Another question, is it ok, for bettas to eat shrimp shells?

4. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,425
    Experience:
    2 years
    if he has a taste for shrimp, try frozen mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. my bettas love them. if you want them to eat their greens, get the spirulina brine shrimp. it's probably healthier than freeze-dried stuff too.

your shrimp probably just molted so it was vulnerable and easy to catch/kill. there's also a chance it just died and he's eating the remains. my betta killed and ate all my ghost shrimp (or they died some other way), and he chased my amano shrimp into my filter where it hid for months. some bettas do fine with shrimp, others do not.

5. OP
    OP
    Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2

6. wolfdog01

wolfdog01Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +735
    Experience:
    4 years
    Be weary of setting up a mosquito pond. Last time I put in wild larvae I got Hydra, which was a pain to kill. They'll hurt baby shrimp and snail antennas, just be careful.

7. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I had 2 ghost shrimp in with my Betta and he completely ignored them for a month. Then one day, one of them was trying to grab floating food and accidentally latched on to the Betta's tail. The fish was frantically swimming around trying to shake it off and after about 20 seconds it finally let go. Within 3 days after that, both shrimp were gone.

You say the shrimp looked torn open from the back. That's how they molt. It may have been starting to molt and the Betta saw his opportunity to rid himself of the pesky competitor for food. I don't know if it always happens but I saw my Ghosts molt a couple of times and they were totally helpless for about 15 minutes afterwards. Lying on their sides and barely moving and gradually regaining their strength back. A perfect target for predation.

I'm sure the snails and Pleco will be fine.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. HoneybeeJenni

HoneybeeJenniNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    Just started
    I guess fish do keep grudges!

9. Dch48

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My Betta, Benny, will eat any and everything that goes in the tank. He tried to swallow a whole shrimp pellet that was meant for the Mystery snail. It was bigger than his head. He literally attacks his floating pellets and frozen bloodworms and even eagerly takes flake foods. He doesn't get overly enthused over frozen brine shrimp though. He'll eat it but he likes the bloodworms more. I have given him live flightless fruit flies a few times and he devours them.

10. potter

potterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Some ghost shrimp are actually whisker shrimp. They may be aggressive enough to attack your betta.

11. OP
    OP
    Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    You know she was about twice the size of "male" ghost shrimp and I remember reading that the females were bigger. But a also remember red banding on the smaller shrimp's legs but not on the big one (I figured it was something caused by the food) but it may have been a whisker shrimp. I've never heard of them before

12. Dch48

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If she had longer front arms with noticeable pincers, she was a whisker shrimp.

13. OP
    OP
    Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I never payed attention because she was so much bigger then the others