Betta keeps eating/attacking Cory's food, tips?

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey!

One of my Bettas is great with tankmates and is unbothered by them. I have snails and 3 dwarf corys with him. My betta recently has decided their food is an enemy. Yesterday I put a cube of squash in the tank for them and today I see an orange betta poop, which indicated to me he took a big bite out of the squash.. Today, he started to attack their Hikari sinking wafers and actually ate a big bite out of them. Now, this is extremely concerning because both the things my betta has consumed isn't carnivore food..

Any tips on how to stop this behaviour are appreciated.

My corys like to hang out in one tiny corner behind a piece of driftwood, it was their "spot" and now it seems like my betta wants that spot because he got a taste of the food.....

Thanks guys :) And just to be clear my betta is not attacking the corys just their food!

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also, I want to try distracting my betta by maybe pinching food with tweezers while the cory's eat, but they take a long time to find their food

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lauraaac said:
Hey!

One of my Bettas is great with tankmates and is unbothered by them. I have snails and 3 dwarf corys with him. My betta recently has decided their food is an enemy. Yesterday I put a cube of squash in the tank for them and today I see an orange betta poop, which indicated to me he took a big bite out of the squash.. Today, he started to attack their Hikari sinking wafers and actually ate a big bite out of them. Now, this is extremely concerning because both the things my betta has consumed isn't carnivore food..

Any tips on how to stop this behaviour are appreciated.

My corys like to hang out in one tiny corner behind a piece of driftwood, it was their "spot" and now it seems like my betta wants that spot because he got a taste of the food.....

Thanks guys :) And just to be clear my betta is not attacking the corys just their food!
If I were you, I would not worry. The domestic Betta splendens is just that...domestic. Over the course of decades to centuries our domestic buddies will slightly change in captivity. Think of Dogs, for example. Wolves are purely carnivorous, but Dogs are omnivorous. Their digestive systems have acclimated to what we feed them in captivity. This is the same with Bettas! Bettas, in the wild, are purely carnivorous predators. They receive around 75% protein in their diet, the rest are fats as fibres from the prey. However, in captivity, many suggest having at least 40% protein in a Betta's staple of their diet. That's nearly half of what they receive in the wild! This is due to selective breeding throughout the decades, resulting in feeding them a more varied diet. Some Betta's will consume algae, shelled pea, spinach, others will absolutely refuse anything that is not animal protein-based. It truly depends whether your Betta and his/her ancestors were fed higher protein. So I wouldn't worry! Your Betta may be missing out on certain nutrients that can only be found in plant-based foods. I wouldn't try and do anything drastic unless he is becoming bloated by eating the squash. Hopefully this helps! Good luck ;)

New Threads