Betta jumped out of tank silently apparently and died?!

amdpayne

My beloved little betta Barbossa apparently managed to jump out of the tank within the past hour or so and pass away on the carpet. I was sitting here in the living room the whole time. It was quiet and I didn't hear a thing. I just now saw him, dry, dark, and stiff on the carpet about 3.5 feet away from the tank. I have no idea how this happened. The only openings are small ones on the back of his 10 gal for his filter and automatic feeder (didn't have one on there). He's never been a jumper or aggressive seeming in any way. I did a water change earlier (maybe 2 hours ago), and I did it the way I always do, so no weird sudden changes there. Saw him in tank after wc. Must have jumped one of the tiny holes (just realized his leaf is near the surface near the feeder hole), and flopped quite a ways. I can't deal with dead pets, so I called my boyfriend, panicked and crying and said I didn't know what to do but I needed him there if anything just to pick him up.

EDIT: I looked at him again and thought he looked like he'd moved a little from where I saw him. I got a net and paper towel and he was alive!! He flopped into the net and I put him back in his tank. He floated towards the bottom and I figured he'd pass away there soon, but after about 30 sec, he frantically swam around the tank and shook the carpet fuzz off his face. He probably lost some fin and has stuff in his gills/face bc of carpet but right now he's alive and lying calmly in the corner on a plant near the bottom. His gills are moving slightly, but he's kind of laying on his side. Do you thin he can make it yet?? I am so freaked out and confused and baffled and worried about this whole situation. I have no idea what to do or think. Sorry for any typos... This app is AWFUL. Can't see a think that I type.

junebug

If he didn't dry out, he has a good chance of recovering. Bettas won't suffer the sort of brain damage that other fish will when they jump from the tank, since they don't have to breathe through their gills. Just keep him in as low a stress environment as possible. Turn out the lights and give him quiet time.

Hope he recovers

amdpayne

junebug said:
If he didn't dry out, he has a good chance of recovering. Bettas won't suffer the sort of brain damage that other fish will when they jump from the tank, since they don't have to breathe through their gills. Just keep him in as low a stress environment as possible. Turn out the lights and give him quiet time.

Hope he recovers
Dunno how much he dried out or even how long he was on the floor. Worried that other things off the floor will affect him like fuzz and debris and the stress of all this. He already is fighting fin rot, mildly, though he's been recovering from that.

Delaneyw

When my daughter was little, we had goldfish survive a most bizarre situation. Sometimes it's surprising what they can endure.

Now you know he can jump out and will. He sounds like a fighter! Hope he recovers well.

amdpayne

Delaneyw said:
When my daughter was little, we had goldfish survive a most bizarre situation. Sometimes it's surprising what they can endure.

Now you know he can jump out and will. He sounds like a fighter! Hope he recovers well.
True. Fish are so weird. Haha I've had the most surreal, nightmarish things happen with my recent fish keeping endeavors. He does seem like a fighter, considering the fin rot and this and some other things. He seems so calm and not aggressive about anything. Bizarre he's a jumper. Never seen him even come close to wanting to. I don't know what to put over the holes in the tank lid to stop this in the future. Weird, weird little fish. I've become so fond of him. What bothers me most is that I didn't hear it or see it happen and I was RIGHT THERE. :/

Flowingfins

My pleco did the same thing. He was out of the water for around 3 hrs though! he is now living happy in our 100gallon.

Tonia

Best wishes for a full recovery for your betta. I had one do the same thing years ago. He survived another year before jumping while I was at work.. out of a completely different tank.

amdpayne

guppybreeder said:
My pleco did the same thing. He was out of the water for around 3 hrs though! he is now living happy in our 100gallon.
That is an excellent success story!! Thank you! Glad to hear it.

amdpayne

shayla1 said:
Best wishes for a full recovery for your betta. I had one do the same thing years ago. He survived another year before jumping while I was at work.. out of a completely different tank.
Thank you! Sorry to hear about yours doing it again. Why do they jump?!

Ben3721

Bettas and plecos are weird... Somehow they can stay out of the water for hours and survive... I fear that your betta has some damage to the fins as they dry out faster and could have harmed them. I'm very surprised that he even lived... I only once had a shrimp jump. But when I found him he was a dry shell and it was too late. Fish tend to jump after water changes do to the slight change in water conditions and the fact there was two massive arms in the tank probably freaks them out even more. I now have a full lid. My clown pleco only travels to his driftwood and back to his battleship. But my shrimp likes to go anywhere he can.

Flowingfins

Thanks I'm sure yours will be okay

hopeful fish

My sister had a betta whose bowl got knocked over by the cat when we were little. The cat also knocked the phone off the hook, so we know that the fish was laying there almost 4 hours. He lived 2 more years after that (in a dirty unheated bowl).

Bettas are incredibly hardy fish--give him some rest, dI'm the lights, add some stress coat, and ensure the best water quality you can. The rest is up to him.

amdpayne

Ben3721 said:
Bettas and plecos are weird... Somehow they can stay out of the water for hours and survive... I fear that your betta has some damage to the fins as they dry out faster and could have harmed them. I'm very surprised that he even lived... I only once had a shrimp jump. But when I found him he was a dry shell and it was too late. Fish tend to jump after water changes do to the slight change in water conditions and the fact there was two massive arms in the tank probably freaks them out even more. I now have a full lid. My clown pleco only travels to his driftwood and back to his battleship. But my shrimp likes to go anywhere he can.
I'm sure he suffered some damage somewhere, but for now, he swims around periodically then goes back to rest in a plant. I took some water out of the tank so he can't get on top of the heater (how I suspect he did it, because it occurs to me I saw him on top of there after the wc, and the water level was a little higher than usual this time) and added a small amount of cooler water to slightly lower the tank temp if I can. He's had WCs and tank temps and parameters just like this before, though, and never seemed bothered by it.

hopeful fish said:
My sister had a betta whose bowl got knocked over by the cat when we were little. The cat also knocked the phone off the hook, so we know that the fish was laying there almost 4 hours. He lived 2 more years after that (in a dirty unheated bowl).

Bettas are incredibly hardy fish--give him some rest, dI'm the lights, add some stress coat, and ensure the best water quality you can. The rest is up to him.
Thank you! Glad yours was ok!

guppybreeder said:
Thanks I'm sure yours will be okay
THank you! I hope!

Flowingfins

your welcome

Ben3721

Okay so you have a ten gallon tank for the betta? Most the glass covers have a plastic lip for the back that you cut to size around your filter (I threw mine away thinking it was trash, But even those lips can have a small gap on the back. In this picture I have acrylic panels with rubber holding them together on the back, since acrylic warps terribly I have rubber connections to let it bend so it won't warp and have an open spot on the ends. I will be replacing the whole top with one piece of perfectly cut lexan (which won't warp and I'm doing this because I worry my cat might jump on my tank and bust the glass.)

removed

I used to not have a lid and now my water almost never evaporates, But I found I had to keep more airstones just to make sure the air above the water is fresh.

junebug

amdpayne said:
Thank you! Sorry to hear about yours doing it again. Why do they jump?!
Aside from the usual reasons that fish jump, bettas are particularly prone to doing it because it's how they survive in the wild. They are a member of a family of fish called Anabantoids, which can breathe air from above the surface. Because of this ability, (or maybe the reverse cause and effect - they can do this because of where they live) they are able to exit the water for short periods of time.

Bettas specifically jump from pool to pool during the drought season in their wild habitat, searching for food and mates. So sometimes, when in the home aquarium, you'll find one that really, really wants to explore the rest of their "rice paddy" (aka your house).

Ben3721

junebug said:
Aside from the usual reasons that fish jump, bettas are particularly prone to doing it because it's how they survive in the wild. They are a member of a family of fish called Anabantoids, which can breathe air from above the surface. Because of this ability, (or maybe the reverse cause and effect - they can do this because of where they live) they are able to exit the water for short periods of time.

Bettas specifically jump from pool to pool during the drought season in their wild habitat, searching for food and mates. So sometimes, when in the home aquarium, you'll find one that really, really wants to explore the rest of their "rice paddy" (aka your house).
+1 Perfect. Yeah I'm sometimes call bettas puddle jumpers just to mess with my brother. But change in water conditions tend to make them try to jump. Because if your a betta you don't want to dry out in a puddle when there is a massive deep puddle a foot away.

Nick Della Rocca

I have 2 orange crays that love to explore. never got out but I have caught one clamp on yo the return of my filter letting the water hit his face. I looked online and people said aluminum foil but DO NOT LET IT TOUCH THE WATER. so what did I do? I bought some cat proof screen. the one with no wire inside. cut a peace then cut a small x to slip over my filter nice and snugg. and u don't really notice it! hope that helps.

Rivieraneo

Wow, so glad your fish is ok and didn't end up a carpet crispy. As noted, I feel he still has many months left with you

amdpayne

Thanks, guys, for the support and advice! I might try to get a different lid. At the moment, I've got tape and a washcloth over the larger gaps in the hood. He's still alive, periodically swimming around, but mostly residing calmly at the bottom. I want to make sure he gets enough food and oxygen, though. Any thoughts how to make sure that happens? I don't want to transfer him to a smaller tank bc I feel that'd stress him further. Just hoping the little guy pulls through soon and is back up to normal within a day or two. I don't have stress coat, either, but I've been putting salt in the tank when I do his WCs.

amdpayne

Thanks for the advice and support!

Last night before bed I waved at him and told him he was a good fish, I love him, goodbye and goodnight. Little guy valiantly waved his fin back at me. Sweet fish didn't make it through the night.

He was a good guy. So smart and curious and calm! Sweet little Barbossa. I had reserves about getting a betta in the first place, but now I have no regrets.

RIP Barbossa! <3 You will be missed.

NCE12940

Oh, so sorry that he didn't make it :'(

Delaneyw

So sorry to hear he didn't make it through the night.

Now you've had the love of a great betta and nothing else compares. From this you take away his memory, and you learn a little. I hope when the hurt of his loss lessens, you will might think about saving another betta from the life in a tiny cup. Any betta would be lucky to be so loved!
-Hugs-

hopeful fish

sorry for your loss.

natpodu77

I am so sorry for your loss, those little guys are so personable I have had over 25 of them and each one had a different personality. Miss everyone, but always get another one to bring some light into a room!

Betta and Cory and loaches are lung fish and are able to spend time out of a tank and breath air. So long as they don't dry out they will be okay. I didn't know plecos were-but that's good to know

petaddiction

So sorry.
Hopefully after your heart heals you can get another one to fill that empty spot. Bettas have so much personality and really care about their owners. IMO, they are one of the best type of fish to have.

amdpayne

Thank you all for the help and support! I definitely shed some tears over my boy. Never thought I'd get attached to a fish. I was hesitant to get a betta at first, but after so many people here talked about how great they are, I gave it a shot and have no regrets... just a fuller heart. I've cleaned out the tank and will get some gravel next (this sand was such a huge pain to clean)! Then onwards to my next companion. Can't let that tank sit empty... and can't help but wonder what another betta's personality might be like. And this time I'm covering any holes he could escape from!!!

NCE12940

Best wishes for your new venture with another betta, and may he not be a jumper.

bowen747x

funny title, the assailant made his escape as quiet as possible? lol never thought a fish could make too much noise before, unless he used a chisel of course

amdpayne

NCE12940 said:
Best wishes for your new venture with another betta, and may he not be a jumper.
Thank you... and hear, hear!

amdpayne

bowen747x said:
funny title, the assailant made his escape as quiet as possible? lol never thought a fish could make too much noise before, unless he used a chisel of course
I thought I'd hear a splash or a plop or a thump!

Top Bottom