Betta Jumped Out Of Tank Overnight, Will He Live? :(

1. Kinleigh

Kinleigh New Member Member

I made a BIG mistake and I don’t think I’m ever gonna forgive myself. I’m quarantining my betta fish right now, and I had a makeshift paper towel with holes in it over the QT bowl the other night and by morning it was sinking in their bowl, so I thought I’d be fine not covering the tanks tonight, underestimating my crowntail with fin rot.

He must’ve hopped out of the bowl sometime while I was asleep and when I woke up and saw a little black lump on my desk next to his bowl I started panicking and I went to pick him up, I was sure he was dead and I was about to cry but he moved!! I put him back in the tank and he not looking so good as expected. He’s staying and the bottom and when he comes to the top hes riding along the curve of the bowl to get up for air. Should I stop his salt QT for fin/body rot? He lost a few more fin pieces during this incident and now he’s really not doing great. I don’t wanna stress him more, I wanna do whatever I can to save this fish.

I think even if I stop the salt treatment I’ll need to keep him in this .5 gallon bowl, he’s having trouble swimming upwards in my opinion and he’ll probably have a hard time in his 5 gallon since it’s deeper and has no curve he can use as support.

Below are photos of what he left on the desk flopping around and photos of him :(

Attached Files:

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

Nothing in tank, a cave is all. It’s a .5 gallon bucket so I can’t really fit a filter or anything. I can pick up an air stone or anything else needed asap

4. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

Here is a photo of the whole thing

Attached Files:

5. bizaliz3

Well the fish clearly needs some air. So that would help.

I had a fish jump recently. By the time I found her she was sticky and looked dead. I put her in the tank and she sunk to the bottom with no gill movement. I cupped her in my hands and held her under the waterfall from the filter and she slowly came back to life!! The flow and the oxygen and everything. It was like fishy CPR.

I highly suggest you get an air stone in there pronto.
    Are you doing daily water changes since there is no filtration?

6. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

daily changes as instructed by a site about how to do a salt QT for fin rot. The original plan was to have him in their for 7-10 days for his fin and body to start healing, 100% daily changes and redosing the salt. I will pick up an air stone right now and see how he does then, do I need to cover it or anything like that? Or just stick it in there no worries? Sorry if that’s a stupid question, I’ve never used air stones before.

7. bizaliz3

Can I ask why you removed the betta from the tank to treat the fin rot? I have only dealt with it a couple times over the years and all it took was daily water changes to the actual tank. The fish didn't need to be moved. I didn't need to use salt or anything like that.

I find that stress will just make things like this get worse and progress faster. And being put into a bowl of stagnant water might just be making it worse. :-(

For the air stone, yes, you can just put it directly into the water. The only reason for covering it when placed in a display tank is because it looks ugly otherwise. But in the bowl, who cares! But I would cover the bowl of course!!!

BUT could you put the fish back into a regular filtered and heated tank and do daily water changes for him there rather than in the bowl? Edit: give him stuff to rest on near the surface if you are concerned about him reaching it for air.

8. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

I removed him for treatment because the water changes without salt never helped and his fin rot has quickly progressed to body rot and I genuinely think it’s safer when using salt to treat out of the tank, because I don’t want any salt to stay in their tank (plus i have live plants) And I need it to be easier to replace 100% of the water daily. I wish I didn’t have to QT but I could do baths, I just think it’s in the best interest to leave him in one same tank for a week rather than take him out however many times daily to do a salt bath or dip. But I could also completely stop treatment if it’s more favorable due to his injury being out of the water today.

I’m all for putting him back in his big tank, but I really needed to treat him with more than water changes before it progressed more rapidly. Also, he is in proper temperature, my room stays high 70’s low 80’s at any given time, it’s a heat box. I’m going to pick up an airstone now, and if there’s anything else that might help please let me know